Visit the Ironworks Gaming Website Email the Webmaster Graphics Library Rules and Regulations Help Support Ironworks Forum with a Donation to Keep us Online - We rely totally on Donations from members Donation goal Meter

Ironworks Gaming Radio

Ironworks Gaming Forum

Go Back   Ironworks Gaming Forum > Ironworks Gaming Forums > General Discussion > General Conversation Archives (11/2000 - 01/2005)
FAQ Calendar Arcade Today's Posts Search

Old 07-25-2001, 04:51 PM   #11
Moridin
Fzoul Chembryl

Well said LoA!

I too agree with what GP does, but they are going about it all wrong Instead of attaching themselves to trees and pulling their boats in front of whaling vessels and navy frigates, they should be lobbying congress and confronting big business.

I don't think they get the fact that a CEO sitting in a nice cushy office somewhere, and calls ALL the shots, really gives a crap if they sit in a tree. He/she would however care if his/her email and inbox are full of mail everyday!

------------------

Never try to teach a pig to sing; it wastes your time and it annoys the pig
I've got to admit it's getting better, it's getting better all the time
Old 07-25-2001, 06:13 PM   #12
kiwidoc
Zhentarim Guard

Members of Green Peace put their lives on the line - and I know people who have been killed standing up for their beliefs. Indonesian, Philipino and Russian jails suck - but that doesnt GreenPeace from protesting their fishing vessels in the Pacific.

The way Green Peace works is to raise the awareness of ordinary people so that they in turn will lobby CEOs and senators. This is far more powerful than a handful of protestors lobbying by themselves.

Almost certainly the reason they dont protest in Mexico is because the companies that produce the pollution are owned by multinationals and the decisions are not made in Mexico. Protesting in Mexico will acheive nothing as the Mexican paople themsleves have very little power to change things so what can be achieved by raising their awareness?

------------------
There is only one kiwidoc, accept no substitutes

STANDARD OPERATING PROCEEDURE
www.judyhope.co.uk
THE ABYSS - FREE FORM ROLEPLAYING
http://pub76.ezboard.com/btheabyss40673

[This message has been edited by kiwidoc (edited 07-25-2001).]

[This message has been edited by kiwidoc (edited 07-26-2001).]
Old 07-25-2001, 06:24 PM   #13
Fljotsdale
Thoth - Egyptian God of Wisdom

They've been arrested, but I haven't had a call yet, so can't stay. No - not the Tigger! She was one of the ones in the containers bolted to the exit roads. There were 41/42 arrested. Not too sure of the issue, actually - but I figure it was something to do with Kyoto... I could be wrong on this. I'm only her mother...
Thanks for the support! I'll tell her when I hear from her...
------------------

[This message has been edited by Fljotsdale (edited 07-25-2001).]
Old 07-25-2001, 06:40 PM   #14
Lady Avalon
Emerald Dragon

Best of luck to your daughter Fljotsdale.

------------------
Old 07-25-2001, 06:43 PM   #15
Lord of Alcohol
Xanathar Thieves Guild

Kiwi, you think my post was flaming????? I have most certainly flamed a person or two but I hardly call my post flaming. Greenpeace is a semi-organised group of individual cells where one hand doesnt know what the other is doing. Semi-organised chaos with eccentric and dubious guidance. If they stuck with important issues then I would have no problem. BTW I believe in nuclear power, kill me for that too.
As for Mexico, do you really think we own every corporation in Mexico? Hardly, the UK is just as prevalent as we are. My point was Greenpeace only goes where it is safe, send them to Africa, see when they come home
Old 07-25-2001, 06:43 PM   #16
MILAMBER
Lord Soth

I hope your daughter comes out of this ok.

I really don't know what I'm talking about, but all you people from England seem to have a lot of protests. Any particular reason? It's not like we don't have them out here, but it seems to happen much less frequently.

------------------
"The object of war is not to die for your country but to make the other bastard die for his."
-General George Patton (1885-1945)

Member of CLAN HADB
Old 07-25-2001, 06:44 PM   #17
adam warlock
Ma'at - Goddess of Truth & Justice

lotsa luck!!!
Old 07-25-2001, 06:46 PM   #18
Fljotsdale

Damn! Damn! Damn! Someone phoned while I was on-line but there is no response when I try to call back. Ohhhhhhhhhhhhh!!!!!!!!

------------------

Old 07-25-2001, 06:48 PM   #19
Grand-Ranger
Galvatron

Location: Everywhere I wanna go its already where I am,cause I am already there
Hehe, not really into polotical stuff. I see all kina stuff wrong in big things like this, including GreenPeace and Big Goverment.

Like for instance Absynthe said stand up for what you belive in LoA dose jsut that, standing up for his belive in GreenPeace doing somthing wrong. And you jump all over him.

That is only one of the many here.

------------------

So if in the forest look behind you, because that where the ranger is going to be

[This message has been edited by Grand-Ranger (edited 07-25-2001).]
Old 07-25-2001, 07:31 PM   #20
Fljotsdale

Found out the phone call was from Victoria Station, so phoned a friend of hers in Brighton (where she lives) to see what he knew, and she had phoned him from there - she was free and on her way home. At least the police didn't keep them more than a few hours...

LoA - I think you will find Greenpeace are better organised than you think, small 'cells' or not. My daughter has being doing voluntary stuff for them for about 18mths, though this is her first 'activist' role. She is a very efficient person herself and respects the efficiency of the organisation. I think I can safely assure you that their left hand DOES know what the right is doing!
It is not a matter of choosing comfortable prisons - their activists put up with a great deal of personal discomfort/danger at times in order to let people know what certain Governments and organisations are doing to their own profit and the detriment of the world we all live in. Personally I admire their dedication. I'm with Friends of the Earth, myself, though I only send out letters...

------------------