Visit the Ironworks Gaming Website Email the Webmaster Graphics Library Rules and Regulations Help Support Ironworks Forum with a Donation to Keep us Online - We rely totally on Donations from members Donation goal Meter

Ironworks Gaming Radio

Ironworks Gaming Forum

Go Back   Ironworks Gaming Forum > Ironworks Gaming Forums > General Discussion > General Conversation Archives (11/2000 - 01/2005)
FAQ Calendar Arcade Today's Posts Search

Old 04-27-2003, 10:49 AM   #11
/)eathKiller
Dracolisk

can you play as an alcolyte? I wouldnt mind sacrificing myself to become a shade and see invisibility while being invisible myself [img]tongue.gif[/img]
Old 04-28-2003, 10:27 AM   #12
Harkoliar
Jack Burton

looks good.. so many nice interactive games.. like the new everquest in ps2, the starwars and now this.. which one shall i take?? to expensive to play all of them monthly

Catch me if you can..
Old 04-28-2003, 10:36 AM   #13
Dreamer128
Dracolisk

Quote:
Originally posted by Harkoliar:
looks good.. so many nice interactive games.. like the new everquest in ps2, the starwars and now this.. which one shall i take?? to expensive to play all of them monthly
Did you have a look at Ashrons call (spelling) 2? It looks great.. much better then DAOC or EQ.
Old 04-28-2003, 10:37 AM   #14
Dreamer128
Dracolisk

Quote:
Originally posted by Sythe:
http://www.blizzard.com/wow/

Screenshots good trailers good this game shows a whole lot of promise. Do you think this is going to be a game better than Everquest?
From your site;

How will World of Warcraft differ from other MMORPGs?
World of Warcraft will differ from other MMORPGs in many ways. One of our main goals is to ensure that players can enjoy World of Warcraft without having to invest huge amounts of playtime. Players will be able to complete quests and experience the world at their own pace-whether it be a few hours here and there, or week-long adventuring marathons. Additionally, our quest system will provide an enormous variety of captivating quests with story elements, dynamic events, and flexible reward systems. World of Warcraft will also feature a faster style of play, with less downtime and an emphasis on combat and tactics against multiple opponents. We also plan to incorporate several unique features, which we'll disclose throughout the course of development.

Will there be monthly fee to play the game?
Yes; however, we are still investigating our business model and have not yet determined what the fee will be.

Why isn't World of Warcraft free?
World of Warcraft will require a fee to play. This fee will be used to support the costs associated with the high-quality levels of service, support, and ongoing content creation that we are planning for World of Warcraft.
Old 04-28-2003, 10:58 AM   #15
Thoran
Galvatron

Pay to buy + Pay to play = No #%%$#@ way!

I don't care how cool the game is, if they want me to pay monthly to use it then the software better damn well be free.

[ 04-28-2003, 10:59 AM: Message edited by: Thoran ]
Old 04-28-2003, 11:08 AM   #16
Rokenn
Galvatron

Quote:
Originally posted by Thoran:
Pay to buy + Pay to play = No #%%$#@ way!

I don't care how cool the game is, if they want me to pay monthly to use it then the software better damn well be free.
Servers and bandwidth are not free. Developers, artists, and coders need to eat.
Old 04-28-2003, 12:41 PM   #17
Thoran
Galvatron

And if the game is good they'll make their money on subscription fees. By making you pay for the game itself they're saying "well, we're not sure you're going to play our game for more than a couple days, so we're going to recover much of our costs up front". And that's being generous, becuse it's more likely "We KNOW most of you will play a couple days then lose interest, so we're going to make you pay up front, keeping our subscrition rate lower and effectively subsidising those few who get hooked and play for months"

I certainly don't have a problem with developers making a fair buck on their product... I DO have a problem with developers designing a fee structure that protects poor quality games. With online games, a GOOD game would be able to hand out the software to users and make all the money they'd ever need on subscriptions.

[ 04-28-2003, 12:44 PM: Message edited by: Thoran ]
Old 04-28-2003, 01:51 PM   #18
Cristian
Emerald Dragon

this game seems alot better than everquest and i loved eq but i have a better game that is best ever ownz Bg 1 Bg 2 fallot torment eq everything it is Asheronscall 2 i lvoe it its fantastic
Old 04-28-2003, 02:46 PM   #19
Rokenn
Galvatron

Quote:
Originally posted by Thoran:

I certainly don't have a problem with developers making a fair buck on their product... I DO have a problem with developers designing a fee structure that protects poor quality games. With online games, a GOOD game would be able to hand out the software to users and make all the money they'd ever need on subscriptions.
I doubt your assertion that the structure in questions protects poor quality games. If you look at the current crop of MMORPGS many of the bad ones have faded away to pretty much nothing, and been regulated to the bargin bin.

Also if they were to go with your suggested model they monthly fee would be much higher then 10-12/month. As they would need to recover their develeopment cost in a timely manner in addtion to covering ongoing expenses. Most games of this sort are in developement much longer then your standard games and a bigger gamble for the company putting them out. Also the bandwidth cost (both in terms of both money, lag on servers, qnd customer good will) would make a freely distrubuted program even more costly. As many of these programs are now getting up into the gigabyte range in how much disk space they need, mostly for storing ever more detailed graphics. Could you imagine the slagging a game company would have to endure due to the congestion a few hundreds of thousands of gamers trying to DL 1gb of data?
Old 04-28-2003, 03:07 PM   #20
Kakero
40th Level Warrior

If my memory serve me correct, we didn't need to pay to play diablo 2, warcraft 3 on battlenet.