Visit the Ironworks Gaming Website Email the Webmaster Graphics Library Rules and Regulations Help Support Ironworks Forum with a Donation to Keep us Online - We rely totally on Donations from members Donation goal Meter

Ironworks Gaming Radio

Ironworks Gaming Forum

Go Back   Ironworks Gaming Forum > Ironworks Gaming Forums > General Discussion > General Conversation Archives (11/2000 - 01/2005)
FAQ Calendar Arcade Today's Posts Search

Old 06-06-2003, 06:46 AM   #1
NiceWorg
Baaz Draconian

Is it your hobby or do you rather wonder whatīs the point?

Some people put a lot of time, effort and money to squeeze the last Mhzīs out of their outdates systems. Sometimes more than what it would cost to simply update. If you donīt know all the risks it can bring.. pooof! Makes you think..

Anyway, I tuned my mobo a bit, from 800 -> 900 Mhz. Mobo temp only rised 4 celsius. I must be missing something...?

Soo, what do you think?
Old 06-06-2003, 06:55 AM   #2
johnny
40th Level Warrior

Ms Pacman Champion
Your processor won't last very long when you constantly tweak.
Old 06-06-2003, 07:21 AM   #3
andrewas
Harper

Have a look at your processor temp, I suspect its gone a bit higher than the mobo temp has.
Old 06-06-2003, 12:37 PM   #4
NiceWorg
Baaz Draconian

well, it is practically the first time I seriously tweak. Temperatures: Mobo / Processor / Graph. Card - 42/50/57 C

They didnīt raise notably, graph card cannot be clocked any more. I suppose my mobo (MSI KT333) is simply good for overclocking.
Old 06-06-2003, 02:07 PM   #5
whacky
Emerald Dragon

Quote:
Originally posted by NiceWorg:
Is it your hobby or do you rather wonder whatīs the point?

An obsession for me. The point is getting the last few mhz out too, though they arent as less as they seem to you, on systems with higher bus speeds and clock multipliers , overclocking can give you astonishing results.
Anyways i wrote a guide to overclocking a while back( thank you andrew for checking it ) so if anyone wants one, i could give it to 'em [img]tongue.gif[/img]
Old 06-06-2003, 03:06 PM   #6
andrewas
Harper

Unfortunately, you dont get much out of it with a decent rig. Any mobo that has a 800Mhz FSB on it already has enough power to run any game at full specs, and will probably be acceptable several years from now - CPU power has followed moore's law and doubled every 18 months for decades now, but games requirements haven't.
Old 06-06-2003, 04:52 PM   #7
Sir Kenyth
Fzoul Chembryl

Quote:
Originally posted by andrewas:
Unfortunately, you dont get much out of it with a decent rig. Any mobo that has a 800Mhz FSB on it already has enough power to run any game at full specs, and will probably be acceptable several years from now - CPU power has followed moore's law and doubled every 18 months for decades now, but games requirements haven't.
Too true! When was the last time you checked a game's minimum specs and said, "Oh darn! I can't run it!"? It hasn't happened in a long while for me!
Old 06-06-2003, 05:40 PM   #8
NiceWorg
Baaz Draconian

Quote:
Originally posted by andrewas:
True to some extent, but itīs cheaper than updating your graphics card every year. Itīs hard to predict what game developers are coming up with next. I suppose things are fine now as I have 800 Mhz, but if Iīd have, say 400 Mhz, not even the latest Radeon would necessarily make every game roll like a dream. Still, graphics cards play a greater role nowadays..
Old 06-06-2003, 09:11 PM   #9
Animal
Gold Dragon

Overclocing used to be big back in the 300MHZ days, but now it's a complete waste of time. CPU's over 2.0GHZ are dirt cheap these days, and if you can show me any consumer grade app that requires 2GHZ or more to run, I'll be impressed.

For bragging rights maybe. I've overclocked a 1.2GHZ T-Bird to 1.8GHZ before without breaking a sweat, but it's not worth the trouble these days. Software hasn't even come close to approaching hardware development.

The only reason I see for overclocking these days is to prove how big your cojones are. If all your care about is benchmark numbers, then fly at it but don't come running to me when you start smelling something funny coming from your case.
Old 06-09-2003, 09:40 PM   #10
Thriss
Elite Waterdeep Guard

overclocking is even better now cuz the processors are very fast and when u overclock it becomes faster...Overclocking rulz!