Visit the Ironworks Gaming Website Email the Webmaster Graphics Library Rules and Regulations Help Support Ironworks Forum with a Donation to Keep us Online - We rely totally on Donations from members Donation goal Meter

Ironworks Gaming Radio

Ironworks Gaming Forum

Go Back   Ironworks Gaming Forum > Ironworks Gaming Forums > General Discussion > General Conversation Archives (11/2000 - 01/2005)
FAQ Calendar Arcade Today's Posts Search

View Poll Results: Is posting on Ironworks the only way a member can support a cause or idea?
Yes 37 75.51%
No 5 10.20%
Hello, I'm a seamstress from Vienna 7 14.29%
Voters: 49. You may not vote on this poll

Old 06-09-2003, 02:02 PM   #1
Yorick
Very Mad Bird

I read this post today and it got me thinking.

Quote:
Where did you do this? I don't recall ever seeing your name in the War forum.
Are you just trolling?
Do you see a persons posts as the only valid way of expressing support for an opinion?

Do you believe a person on ironworks can support a cause without vocalising that support here?

http://www.hughwilson.com
Old 06-09-2003, 02:13 PM   #2
MagiK

**** Was suggested I make this a PM so I did ****
[img]smile.gif[/img]

[ 06-09-2003, 02:16 PM: Message edited by: MagiK ]

Old 06-09-2003, 02:17 PM   #3
Rokenn
Galvatron

Why is it a shot? Just becuase a memeber never posted on a subject before does not mean they can not state what their opinion was/is. Now if they posted something in direct contradtion to a past stand, and did not acknowledge that, then you would have been justified in calling them on it.
Old 06-09-2003, 02:19 PM   #4
Yorick
Very Mad Bird

Light Bulb

Quote:
Quoted by Magik
Only way you could get your 2c and shot in eh?

Edit: by the by, no one ever said it had to have been expressed in IW...I asked where, not where on IW. He did say he has been supporting something...you cannot support something by keeping your thoughts and actions to your self.
Well that's why I'm asking the question.

Maybe you CAN support something by keeping your thoughts to yourself. Let's get opinions on that shall we?

Even given that vocalisation is necessary, who's to say posting on the INTERNET is the only way someone can vocalise support? I know many people that strongly support issues, that never go online. Others keep online and issue support as two seperate things.

Anyone else?

I do not agree this belongs in PMs BTW. I'm asking for anyones opinions as I'm interested in how people perceive things.

[ 06-09-2003, 02:22 PM: Message edited by: Yorick ]

Old 06-09-2003, 02:34 PM   #5
Timber Loftis
40th Level Warrior

Some thought or action is required for "support" of an issue, otherwise it's just "think." Of course, someone out there suing power plants to clean up is "supporting" the environment or someone protesting war is "supporting" an idea, regardless of whether or not they have the common decency to come visit IWF, though arguably everyone the globe over should make daily posts on IWF to inform us all of their actions and intentions.

I'd say someone who did not post in the War Forum was simply smarter and wiser than many of us.
Old 06-09-2003, 02:52 PM   #6
Rokenn
Galvatron

Quote:
Originally posted by Timber Loftis:

I'd say someone who did not post in the War Forum was simply smarter and wiser than many of us. [/QB]
here! here! [img]graemlins/laugh2.gif[/img]
Old 06-09-2003, 02:53 PM   #7
Djinn Raffo
Ra

I believe that a person's 'thinking' support for something is a totally valid way of expressing support. How else do you explain prayer, hope, or positive well wishing towards something/someone? (unless you don't believe in any of those). Thinking support is prayer. Even if you never give your thoughts a voice.. it is still a very real thing.
Old 06-09-2003, 04:49 PM   #8
Yorick
Very Mad Bird

Could inaction be described as support? Going along with the status quo? Not raising dissent about a course of action?

If there is only 'for' or 'against', and no fence to sit on, then one can indeed support by doing nothing.

A populous supports a dictator by simply going about their business.

Isn't a person simply present at a rape a party to the crime? Deemed supporting it through inaction?

Old 06-09-2003, 05:03 PM   #9
Djinn Raffo
Ra

Quote:
Originally posted by Yorick:
Could inaction be described as support? Going along with the status quo? Not raising dissent about a course of action?

If there is only 'for' or 'against', and no fence to sit on, then one can indeed support by doing nothing.

A populous supports a dictator by simply going about their business.

Isn't a person simply present at a rape a party to the crime? Deemed supporting it through inaction?
yes.
Old 06-09-2003, 05:17 PM   #10
Timber Loftis
40th Level Warrior

Complicity may be, but is not always, "support."

In order to avoid any confusion that I am an avowed fence-sitter, I strive to be neutral by supporting one side, then the other, and back and forth and such.