Visit the Ironworks Gaming Website Email the Webmaster Graphics Library Rules and Regulations Help Support Ironworks Forum with a Donation to Keep us Online - We rely totally on Donations from members Donation goal Meter

Ironworks Gaming Radio

Ironworks Gaming Forum

Go Back   Ironworks Gaming Forum > Ironworks Gaming Forums > General Discussion > General Conversation Archives (11/2000 - 01/2005)
FAQ Calendar Arcade Today's Posts Search

Old 04-04-2002, 10:32 AM   #11
MagiK

Quote:
Originally posted by Sir Kenyth:
quote:
Originally posted by MagiK:
Sir K. You make a very good point. I too believe it is both maddening and sad that the paper mills are churning out such chaff

I recently met a cabbie who has never even seen a computer in person but is enrolling in a course gaurenteed to get him certified in 6 weeks...wooobaby I would hate to be the bozo who hires him.

On the other hand, good managers can usually spot the fakes from the real Mccoy in 5 minutes of interviewing, so work on sharpening your interview skills and the $$$$ will still be there for you....assuming you live in a large enough population center [img]smile.gif[/img]
I think population center is one of my problems. The closest decent sized city is South Bend, Indiana. Unfortunately, all the surrouding areas work in SB and the job competition is pretty high. I have seriously considered moving closer to Chicago, but I like suburbs and wooded areas. Gary, Indiana is supposed to be a terrible place to live but it's closer than Chicago. All the head hunters I talk to have jobs in the Chicago area and that's about it. It seems like I live in a dead zone.[/QUOTE]Yeah I can appreciate your predicament. There are really only a dozen or so REALLY good places to be for the IT field, but none of them are very rural or particularly nice places to live...Denver being the only exception I can think of off hand.

Old 04-04-2002, 04:08 PM   #12
Father Bronze
Baaz Draconian

I don't know exactly what your options are, but one of my friends got a job at a nearby college.

I don't know if this works in your area, but if you haven't looked into it, you might. Colleges need qualified IT professionals to manage their complex systems.
Old 04-05-2002, 06:49 AM   #13
LennonCook
Jack Burton

It is truly unfair that such a thing could be aloud to happen.
Knowledge is useless without understanding, and so this is unfair both to the people who DO understand what theyre doing, and are truly quallified AND those people who are sent in there having memorised the answers.

Then theres the issue of the helpdesk. It seems to me that the people behind helpdesks now are computer illiterate. All they know is that EVERYTHING, including "Where does this thingi plug in to" is a microsoft driver problem. Even if theyre on a mac.
And as for the people who sell computers, they just know how to say "Thirty three giga hurts of ram" ... need I say more ?? [img]tongue.gif[/img]
Old 04-05-2002, 11:06 AM   #14
MagiK

Quote:
Originally posted by Father Bronze:
I don't know exactly what your options are, but one of my friends got a job at a nearby college.

I don't know if this works in your area, but if you haven't looked into it, you might. Colleges need qualified IT professionals to manage their complex systems.
Unfortunately colleges and universities are not known for their competitive wages. The real money is in the private sector and away from government and public services. Though the Government can be lucrative if you are a consultant, you cannot make any REAL money if you are a Civil Servant.

Old 04-05-2002, 11:18 AM   #15
MagiK

Sir K. There is a PM waiting for you!