Visit the Ironworks Gaming Website Email the Webmaster Graphics Library Rules and Regulations Help Support Ironworks Forum with a Donation to Keep us Online - We rely totally on Donations from members Donation goal Meter

Ironworks Gaming Radio

Ironworks Gaming Forum

Go Back   Ironworks Gaming Forum > Ironworks Gaming Forums > Miscellaneous Games (RPG or not)
FAQ Calendar Arcade Today's Posts Search

Old 02-16-2002, 11:51 PM   #1
krayzkrok
Elite Waterdeep Guard

!!!MAJOR SPOILERS! ONLY READ IF YOU'VE FINISHED IT ALREADY!!!
So finally, the Dark Savant's true nature is revealed. Well, I didn't see that one coming, I must admit! [img]smile.gif[/img] Very cool. Anyway, having finally completed the game I'm curious. Apart from the "Rewrite history" ending, there is no mention at all of the Umpani or the T'rang, yet we were all supposed to meet on Ascension Peak. They stood me up?! What happened to that?

Secondly, it was strange that the "best" of the three endings was the one where you went over to the "Dark" side! I did this last, and felt incredibly guilty killing Bela and Vi, but was rewarded with an excellent ending movie. The other endings weren't anything like as cool as this, although of course they made me feel better inside. [img]smile.gif[/img]

Very bizarre thing happened - the first ending I chose was "rewrite history", and upon completion my party rose like a hot air balloon above the Cosmic Forge while the narrator told me that I did all kinds of good things for Dominus (although obviously my party never heard of the Prime Directive, screwing around with history like that!). Finally, though, my party suddenly hit the "roof" and fell 50 feet to the floor again, killing my faerie mage!!! Great, so my Ending.sav game has a dead mage stinking up the place.

I'm sure it wasn't supposed to do that!

But overall, I loved the game. I've been playing computer games since 1981 and this easily ranks in my top 5 of all time. Thank you SirTech - you all deserve a lot more than you'll probably get from this. I can only wish that this level of brilliance is repeated again in the future.

krok

[ 02-16-2002: Message edited by: krayzkrok ]

krayzkrok is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2002, 04:07 AM   #2
Pangur Ban

quote:
Originally posted by krayzkrok:
!!!MAJOR SPOILERS! ONLY READ IF YOU'VE FINISHED IT ALREADY!!!
So finally, the Dark Savant's true nature is revealed. Well, I didn't see that one coming, I must admit! [img]smile.gif[/img] Very cool. Anyway, having finally completed the game I'm curious. Apart from the "Rewrite history" ending, there is no mention at all of the Umpani or the T'rang, yet we were all supposed to meet on Ascension Peak. They stood me up?! What happened to that?

Very bizarre thing happened - the first ending I chose was "rewrite history", and upon completion my party rose like a hot air balloon above the Cosmic Forge while the narrator told me that I did all kinds of good things for Dominus (although obviously my party never heard of the Prime Directive, screwing around with history like that!). Finally, though, my party suddenly hit the "roof" and fell 50 feet to the floor again, killing my faerie mage!!! Great, so my Ending.sav game has a dead mage stinking up the place.

I'm sure it wasn't supposed to do that!

krok

[ 02-16-2002: Message edited by: krayzkrok ]

Good question !! [img]graemlins/nicekitty.gif[/img]

I finished the game this morning. Not a T'Rang or Umpani in sight. Perhaps they appear if you chose a different alliance? ( I was working for the T'rang, and then allied both of them together )

I replayed all endings several times, going back to get Vi to see if that changed things any. Sometimes you took damage when you fell, sometimes you didn't.

I have to rate this as the best CRPG I have ever played - and I have now finished 82 of them. I haven't touched any other game since I first started to play it.
Old 02-17-2002, 03:16 PM   #3
KraGorn
The Magister

AIUI the "we'll meet you on the peak" bits got chopped out or never implemented, along with some other small bits which the Strat Guide describes but which never occur (presumably the write played a beta after which Sir-Tech did some pruning).