Visit the Ironworks Gaming Website Email the Webmaster Graphics Library Rules and Regulations Help Support Ironworks Forum with a Donation to Keep us Online - We rely totally on Donations from members Donation goal Meter

Ironworks Gaming Radio

Ironworks Gaming Forum

Go Back   Ironworks Gaming Forum > Ironworks Gaming Forums > Dungeon Craft - RPG Game Maker
FAQ Calendar Arcade Today's Posts Search

Old 06-29-2010, 04:12 PM   #41
manikus
Jack Burton

Default Re: New 640x480 layout - 640_square

You've been busy, almost as busy as me...

I came in here today with 4 left to find, plus 2 that I need better quality images to start from, and fortunately, 1 of my 4 was Morudel. (isn't it interesting that "Into the Maelstrom" and "Blizzard Pass" are both module "M1"?)
So, that means I have 3, of which I think only 2 may exist as the gnoll looks almost exactly like a colorized version of a Tim Truman gnoll...

As you will see by my updated list above, I now only need images for the ogre (which I suspect may be a hill giant...) and vimpiress. Though some of the items may be from "art" as well; like blade, scroll, and amulet - I know that that orb is.

The two pictures that I'm looking for better images of are the goblin - I have a number of versions and none of them end up coming out better than the FRUA image, and the other is Tower 5 - it comes from an image called "Exile from Norhearth Vale (or Keep)" by Larry Elmore.

I'm going to entertain candidates to replace the rest of the images as well, with top priority going to the artists that were used for the images I'm currently finding:
Clyde Caldwell
Dean Morrissey
Fred Fields
Jeff Easley
Keith Parkinson
Larry Elmore
Roger Lovelss (who does predominantly Christian-themed art now)
Tim Truman

So, if anyone wants to make suggestions, I'm listening. I've already found 12 that I like (2 of which are alternatives to ones I'm still looking for.)
I already have:
ancient dragon
chaotic warrior
elminster
lich noble
mage
malchor
selias
vampire
(ogre)
(vampiress)

Just tell me the name of the FRUA image and give me a link to what you would like to replace it with...no promises, but it's highly likely that it will get included.

Last edited by manikus; 06-29-2010 at 04:20 PM.
manikus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2010, 04:55 PM   #42
manikus
Jack Burton

Okay, I found the Vampiress, but I can't get a big enough picture to even match the FRUA version. (It's from the cover of "Realms of Horror" and is by Larry Elmore.)
Old 06-30-2010, 09:28 PM   #43
nologgie
Dungeon Master

By happy coincidence, I happen to have a pdf of "Realms of Horror" with an absurdly large scan of the cover (2081x2790). Rather than post the entire pic, here's a crop showing the bloodsucker in question. Some editing will obviously be required.
Attached Images
File Type: png Vampiress.png (1.25 MB, 2 views)

Last edited by nologgie; 07-01-2010 at 05:13 PM. Reason: Change pic
nologgie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2010, 10:04 PM   #44
SilentThief
Symbol of Cyric

Burger Time Champion

Quote:
Originally Posted by nologgie View Post
Sir Ftucis, again by Caldwell
How EXACTLY would you pronounce this? I thought it would sound similar to a curse word

ST the smart-ftucis
ps and the artist, clyde caldwell; is he the guy who owned castle caldwell (in the dnd boxset adventure b3 (is 3?)
Old 06-30-2010, 11:14 PM   #45
nologgie
Dungeon Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by SilentThief View Post
How EXACTLY would you pronounce this? ...
Given a choice, I wouldn't.

Quote:
ps and the artist, clyde caldwell; is he the guy who owned castle caldwell (in the dnd boxset adventure b3 (is 3?)
I've never played or read module B3, but I suspect Castle Caldwell, Sir Ftucis, and Lunit Bdufe might have been caused by writer burnout at TSR. (Name the castle after the cover artist and let your cat type the character's names.) I like this theory because it doesn't involve dyslexia or drug abuse.
Old 07-01-2010, 03:50 PM   #46
manikus
Jack Burton

Thanks, nologgie. Would it be possible for you to post the same image, but with say 150 to 200 pixels added on the bottom? I want to be able to turn this into a regular DC image as well.

Are Ftucis and Bdufe TSR creations or SSI creations? I haven't found any references to Frucis or Bdufe outside of a FRUA context, but I havne't read the mods they were cover art for...

As for Castle Calswell, I think that TSR probably got by with paying Clyde less for that one, "Look Clyde, we're a bit short on funds this month, but if you'll do this for us, we'll name the module after you and you can put a picture of anything you want on the front, it doesn't even have to do anything with castles."

Or, maybe Mr. Caldwell is a long time player of the game and he gave them some ideas, though not enough to get a writing credit...

Oh yeah, I forgot and had to edit this in - I pronounce Ftucis like a shortening of "Effin' Tookus", as in "Get off your effin' tookus and go slay the dragon already!"
Old 07-01-2010, 05:47 PM   #47
nologgie
Dungeon Master

Heh. Forgot about the standard DC view. Updated crop includes cleavage and a skull top.
Old 07-01-2010, 06:32 PM   #48
manikus
Jack Burton

Smiley Re: New 640x480 layout - 640_square

Quote:
Originally Posted by nologgie View Post
Heh. Forgot about the standard DC view. Updated crop includes cleavage and a skull top.
Thank you very, very much!

This is a very nice scan, bu the way. When I had a scanner, it did not do work this nice, of course, it was the cheapest money could buy like 8 or 9 years ago.

I have put a crazy amount of effort into finding that Elmore image of "Exile from Norhearth Vale". I have one last trick to try and then I'm going to look for an alternative, which I will also do with the ogre small pic, since I can't find the original. I guess it's time to start thinking about alternatives for the goblin, gnoll and morudel small pics, too.
Old 07-02-2010, 10:08 PM   #49
nologgie
Dungeon Master

You're very, very welcome!

Here's the Blizzard Pass Goblin in the highest res I could find. It's a pretty good scan of a pretty mediocre pic. Still, it's the original FRUA art...
Attached Images
File Type: png BlizGob.png (740.2 KB, 5 views)
Old 07-06-2010, 04:50 PM   #50
manikus
Jack Burton

Thank you, sir. Never in my life have I tried so hard to find an image I didn't like. When Vix comes through with Morudel for me, I'll have just the gnoll and ogre to find and since the gnoll is from a line drawing, I have no moral compunctions against finding an alternative.

I have already found a suitable replacement for the ogre, but I'm beginning to obsess about finding the original. I can't tell you how many times I've looked though my folders of Caldwell's, Easley's Elmore's and Parkinson's art...it's getting ridiculous. Maybe I should go through the Dragon covers again...