Visit the Ironworks Gaming Website Email the Webmaster Graphics Library Rules and Regulations Help Support Ironworks Forum with a Donation to Keep us Online - We rely totally on Donations from members Donation goal Meter

Ironworks Gaming Radio

Ironworks Gaming Forum

Go Back   Ironworks Gaming Forum > Ironworks Gaming Forums > Baldurs Gate II: Shadows of Amn & Throne of Bhaal
FAQ Calendar Arcade Today's Posts Search

Old 05-27-2003, 10:19 PM   #11
SixOfSpades
Dracolisk

Aerie is the only one of those 4 who can cast a whole crapload of buffs (including Strength and Tenser's), and then slap on some Full Plate. Just because you're under Stoneskins and Mirror Image, don't laugh off AC--it makes your SS and MI last a whole lot longer.
Old 05-28-2003, 12:04 AM   #12
Assassin
Symbol of Cyric

Quote:
Originally posted by Indemaijinj:
It is not that the Robe of Vecna isn't good on Aerie, I just plan on using it on another character who can throw more timestops.
Let's be honest here. How many times will you have a Mage leveled enough to be able to cast Time Stops during Chapters 2-3? Seriously, you rarely will. With a lot of Mages, just swarm them with Magic Missiles/Melf's Minute Meteor. Here, since most of your characters have low health, IMO, I would slap it on Aerie, and let Viconia tank. Aerie can Heal rapidly, faster than any other Cleric in the game, and that will help tremendously. Not to mention that Viconia won't really be doing anything useful anyways [img]smile.gif[/img] Something else that is in Viconia's favor- her innate MR will help in those Wizard and Fighter battles

Actually, SoS, I would disagree with that. Full Plate means taht Aerie won't be able to cast any Mage spells. Therefore, why not just use Viconia?

[ 05-28-2003, 12:05 AM: Message edited by: Assassin ]
In The Terminator, Sarah Connor is told a speech by John Connor\'s father that John has given in the future. When John is born, Sarah tells John this speech, and John grows up to tell it in the future. So who wrote the speech?!
Assassin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2003, 02:54 AM   #13
Illithid
Elite Waterdeep Guard

Just curious, which character you're playing yourself, Indemaijinj (damn, had to go back to the post three times now to see how your name is written...). A female one as well? Or maybe a cavalier [img]graemlins/kiss.gif[/img] ? Should be interesting to have Aerie, Jeheira AND Viconia in the party at the same time... [img]graemlins/fight.gif[/img]
Old 05-28-2003, 05:03 AM   #14
Indemaijinj
Symbol of Cyric

A female Half-orc Berserker with a natural charisma of 18.

Not only did I roll ownage stats with her, I was also willing to sacrifice some of those 19's otherwise attainable with Half-orcs.

Regarding Assassin's post he is totally right in his statements, but I think he is shooting a bit aside from the point. Of course I am nowhere near the points where Time-Stops and ADHW's are flowing freely. Still, I am thinking ahead and Aerie's primary strength is buffing. Something that can be done before combat, where casting times are less of a worry. I would rather equip an artillery mage, like Nalia with it because she is more likely to use lots of spells during combat. Also the armor class bonus from the robe is better used on her or Imoen since Aerie already has plenty of other ways to get ownage AC.

Besides, I think Aerie would prefer to wear a gilded Robe of Good Archmagi rather than some old evil lich/god's moldy robes.

I am beginning to ponder what kind of role Imoen will come to play though.
Old 05-28-2003, 01:35 PM   #15
Iceblizz
Elite Waterdeep Guard

A short question... why do you need a tank? If you got Imoen, Viconia and Nalia, why don't use Elementals, Aerial Servants and Skeleton Warriors? Won't take that long till Viconia reaches the magical level 15.

Take into account that none of the mentioned chars has good saving throws. Aerie certainly is the most powerful regarding her fighting abilities, but Viconia has massive magic resistance, without you having to cast any buff-spells... choose dependent on what kind your enemies will be.

[ 05-28-2003, 01:36 PM: Message edited by: Iceblizz ]
Iceblizz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2003, 02:16 PM   #16
Raistlin Majere
Ra

does anyone here know anything about Vecna? all i know is that he is a powerful lich, and the robe isnt very powerful compared to the other vecnas items(says so in the Item description)

"I am become death, the destroyer of worlds."
Raistlin Majere is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2003, 03:33 PM   #17
McHaggis
Manshoon

Quote:
Originally posted by Raistlin Majere:
does anyone here know anything about Vecna? all i know is that he is a powerful lich, and the robe isnt very powerful compared to the other vecnas items(says so in the Item description)
Vecna is a god of magic (one of them). Here's what is said about him in 3ED Player's Handbook:

Quote:
D&D 3ED Player's Handbook:
Vecna, god of secrets, is neutral evil. He is known as the Maimed Lord, the Whispered One, and the Master of All That Is Secret and Hidden. Vecna rules that which is not meant to be known and that which people wish to keep secret. The domains he is associated with are Evil, Knowledge, and Magic. He usually appears as a lich who is missing his left hand and left eye. He lost his hand and eye in a fight with his traitorous lieutenant, Kas. Vecna's favored weapon is the dagger.
McHaggis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2003, 04:53 PM   #18
SixOfSpades
Dracolisk

Quote:
Originally posted by Assassin:
Actually, SoS, I would disagree with that. Full Plate means taht Aerie won't be able to cast any Mage spells. Therefore, why not just use Viconia?
Actually, in my description I mentioned that Aerie had already cast Tenser's Transformation, which means her Mage spells would have been blocked anyway. (Question: Does Tenser's prevent Priest spells? Must test this.)

Reasons Aerie is a better Tank than Viconia:
  • Stoneskin
  • Mirror Image
  • Spell Immunity
  • Tenser's
  • Improved Haste (of course, Viconia can use the Bracers and/or the Ring, but still.)
  • Protection From Magical Weapons
Reasons Viconia is a better Tank than Aerie:
  • Innate 60% Magic Resistance
  • Can wear Full Plate with no disadvantages (apart from needing to use a STR item or spell)
  • Has about 6 more hitpoints than Aerie
Old 05-28-2003, 05:00 PM   #19
DarkRider
The Magister

i prefer aerie but for a good romance you should take the draw, ( she gives a few extra qeust btw )
Old 05-29-2003, 08:34 AM   #20
Assassin
Symbol of Cyric

Quote:
Stoneskin
Mirror Image
Spell Immunity
Tenser's
Improved Haste (of course, Viconia can use the Bracers and/or the Ring, but still.)
Protection From Magical Weapons
If you cast Tenser's, then you can't cast PfMW until it wears off. And, PfMW is pretty much the biggest thing on your list, but it has a puny duration. Why does Improved Haste help someone tank? Spell Immunity is something that Viconia can match with her better MR.

One another reason why I like Viconia as a Tank is because Aerie can use MMM, a ranged weapon, while Viconia pretty much just can just use melee weapon, and can't use a Ranged weapon as well as Aerie.
In The Terminator, Sarah Connor is told a speech by John Connor\'s father that John has given in the future. When John is born, Sarah tells John this speech, and John grows up to tell it in the future. So who wrote the speech?!
Assassin is offline   Reply With Quote