Visit the Ironworks Gaming Website Email the Webmaster Graphics Library Rules and Regulations Help Support Ironworks Forum with a Donation to Keep us Online - We rely totally on Donations from members Donation goal Meter

Ironworks Gaming Radio

Ironworks Gaming Forum

Go Back   Ironworks Gaming Forum > Ironworks Gaming Forums > Baldurs Gate II: Shadows of Amn & Throne of Bhaal
FAQ Calendar Arcade Today's Posts Search

Old 01-07-2002, 04:19 AM   #1
Iqbal_khi
Elite Waterdeep Guard

I realize that this spell is superior to fireball, doing a max of 20d6 HP damge and all (as opposed to 10d6 fire damage), but its casting range of 20 yards really sucks for me... a single fireball wipes out 5 goblins before they know what hit them , but skull trap gives them a chance to disrupt my spell casting easily (right now i'sm soloing a F/M). They also don't seem to trigger right, further limitng their usefulness...

Any tips on placement, tactics etc??
Iqbal_khi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2002, 04:26 AM   #2
Dundee Slaytern
Ironworks Moderator

*cough* *cough*

Right in front of their faces.

You should have Mirror Image and Stoneskin up for defences, and this will prevent you from having your spellcasting disrupted. The Mirror Image will protect you from the Skull Trap as well.

Later on, Spell Immunity( Necromancy) will protect you as well.

Land of the Psycho-moe
Dundee Slaytern is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2002, 09:35 AM   #3
Tim Tam
Dungeon Master

Minor Globe of Invulnerability provides full protection against skull trap, and other 3rd level spells, so you can drop them right at your feet when surrounded. Later on the spell Protection from Magical Energy will give you 20 minutes of complete protection from any magical damage, so you can have it on all the time and drop as many skull traps at your feet as you want. Use Invisibility (spell, ring, potion or magi staff) to get into position before skull trapping, or place the traps in spawn spots or in the path of oncoming critters.

Spell Immunity, Necromancy doesnt help you at all. You will still be hurt by your own skull traps when "protected" by this spell.
Tim Tam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2002, 10:47 AM   #4
Azred
Drow Priestess

quote:
Originally posted by Tim Tam:
Spell Immunity, Necromancy doesnt help you at all. You will still be hurt by your own skull traps when "protected" by this spell.

Tim Tam is quite correct--Spell Immunity will protect you only against spells that target you; area effect spells not centered on you have full effect. Use Minor Globe of Invulnerability instead. This limitation of protection against area-effect spells works for you against other mages, though.

No matter how thinly you slice it, it's still bologna.
Azred is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2002, 05:00 PM   #5
mangy_dog
Elite Waterdeep Guard

Skull trap works very well if you have another mamber of your party invisible and scouting. Then, when they see a monster, you can bring up the mage and cast it from out of sight.
mangy_dog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2002, 05:13 PM   #6
jabidas
Silver Dragon

Dump it on them basicaly, maybe you are having problems with magic resistance
Old 01-08-2002, 06:11 AM   #7
Iqbal_khi
Elite Waterdeep Guard

i've decided to put skull trap on hold till I pass lvl 10, so by then i should have minor globe, magic resist etc and can use it like a sunfire. Thanks for the help!
Iqbal_khi is offline   Reply With Quote