Visit the Ironworks Gaming Website Email the Webmaster Graphics Library Rules and Regulations Help Support Ironworks Forum with a Donation to Keep us Online - We rely totally on Donations from members Donation goal Meter

Ironworks Gaming Radio

Ironworks Gaming Forum

Go Back   Ironworks Gaming Forum > Ironworks Gaming Forums > General Discussion
FAQ Calendar Arcade Today's Posts Search

Old 11-24-2005, 01:28 AM   #1
Memnoch
Ironworks Moderator

G'day all. My cat Mikka will be coming to Boston in Jan. I'm sure she'll love the -10 F weather here. But I'm excited! Anyway I'm planning for her arrival. I have a question about cat litter - she's used to using this brand called "Fresh n Easy" which is a granulated (crystal) litter made by a German company called Trixie. Unfortunately this cat litter is not available in the US - the closest I found was one called Pet Gold Crystals Premium Cat Litter at Petco. Is it going to be a really big deal if I have to use this litter? It's the same kind (crystal non-clumping). Or will she get confused? Note that she'll be traumatised after a long flight as well.

Memnoch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2005, 01:43 AM   #2
Aelia Jusa
Iron Throne Cult

Tetris Champion
It might be and might not be. With Tuppence it would be a huge deal and she would no question pee on the first patch of carpet she could find because she's just that kind of gal. If Mikka has previously been easy about toileting then she may adapt with ease. Lots of rewards and attention when she does go on her new litter obviously will be helpful.

One thing that might be useful if it were possible is to wean her onto the new stuff - can you get a bag of the old stuff sent over and then mix it with the new stuff gradually?

It's tough - especially with female cats apparently who are more difficult in general with toileting than male cats. As you say she's going to be a bit upset from the flight and being in a new place already so too much change might do her in. On the other hand it's possible that she'd be so discombobulated her litter would be the least of her worries. I know when I move Tuppy into my unit she was terrified and hid all the time - but I had no trouble with toileting. I suppose the thing is that cats like to be clean and fastidious above most other things, so she'd probably prefer going in her tray than on the floor. Also if her trays are the same type (or the actual same ones) that she has had before that will lessen her confusion.

Good luck with it!
Old 11-24-2005, 09:24 AM   #3
CerebroDragon
Red Wizard of Thay

3D SuperBall Champion Asteroids Champion Battle of Helms Deep Champion Moon Patrol Champion Pac Man Champion
Spy Hunter Champion Super Mario Mushroom Champion
G'day Memnoch.

As a fellow cat lover, I thought I'd pop in and wish you and Mikka all the best in this endeavour. It is going to be one big crazy adventure for her, that's for sure! If you already have a strong 'relationship' with her and she knows you well, then things should eventually be alright once she has adjusted to her new surroundings.

I can only really reiterate what Aelia has already mentioned. Lots of love and attention upon arrival and have as many items (toys?) as you can within the environment that she may be familiar with, obviously including the litter tray. Combine this with any favourite foods or drinks - my Delilah is a huge cheese adddict and still even drinks milk. [img]smile.gif[/img] Many cats I've been around in my life seem to go off it as they get older.

So how old exactly is Mikka? What's her personality like generally? If she's generally mellow, sweet and affectionate there shouldn't be too many worries. Just substitute the litter as best you can. Hopefully she isn't too fussy. [img]smile.gif[/img]
Delilah scratches at the door or window for me when she wants to go outside, but obviously Mikka won't have that luxury for awhile yet.

Unfortunately, I once unsuccesfully tried to take my home cat Jude along with me when I first moved out from living with my dad. He ran away but thankfully returned to my old home within a week, a little thinner but alive. There has always been an aloof wild streak to his nature, he's grumpy one minute and frisky the next. I love him to death and always drop in just to see him.

@ Aelia. Discombobulated? That's definitely my word for the week. *jots it down*. Had me flummoxed, that's for sure. It wasn't even in my dictionary, I had to check it online for it. What kind of cat is Tuppy?

Best of luck Memnoch!
Cheers,
CD

[ 11-24-2005, 09:27 AM: Message edited by: CerebroDragon ]
- Brilhasti Ap Tarj
CerebroDragon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2005, 11:07 PM   #4
Memnoch
Ironworks Moderator

Mikka is 1 year old and a Ragdoll cross. Very sweet and gentle. Pretty easygoing for a cat.

http://mikka.castpost.com

Memnoch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2005, 11:27 PM   #5
burnzey boi
Red Wizard of Thay

Quote:
Originally posted by Memnoch:
-10 F weather here.
Please in celcius.. Ferinhight is too primitive for me, and i don't find it very accurate.

Good luck anyways.

(Main)Undead Mage - 70, Orc Warrior - 70, Blood Elf Paladin - 70, Orc Shaman - 70, Troll Rogue - 70,
Orc Hunter - 65, UD Warlock 61, BE Priest 60, Tauren Drood - 60
OM NOM NOM NOM
burnzey boi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2005, 01:00 AM   #6
Bungleau
40th Level Warrior

That'd be around -23 Celcius. Just as accurate in C as it is in F and K
-+-+-+
Give 'em a hug one more time. It might be the last.
Bungleau is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2005, 11:44 AM   #7
Stratos
Vampire

It's -23 degrees Celsius in Boston? Whoa, that's cold.
Old 11-26-2005, 03:19 PM   #8
Cloudbringer
Ironworks Moderator

Mario,

There are dozens of 'crystal' cat litters available here. I used one a few times but it just wasn't practical with multiple cats in the house and I hate walking on that stuff in bare feet! [img]tongue.gif[/img] Here are a few options (assuming the stuff you used was just crystals- we also have varieties that are clay with a few crystals added to take out the liquids quickly) - I used the Petsmart online catalog to find these:

Petsmart's brand -
Tidy cat's version

Petco, also has this :

Litter pearls

Look for things that say 'pearls' or 'crystals' in the description or name.
Just check any grocery store in the pet food aisle or any pet store in your area, I'm SURE you will find crystal cat litter there under a dozen names and scents and variety of crystal shapes!

I hope little Mikka makes the trip safely. She is such a cutie...and hams it up for the cameras, too! [img]graemlins/kittynow.gif[/img]

I think Aelia's suggestion to ease her into the new litter gradually is the way to go. Get some of her usual litter sent over and start with that til she's comfy in the new apartment, then gradually add the other litter til she is using only the new stuff. [img]smile.gif[/img]

[ 11-26-2005, 03:26 PM: Message edited by: Cloudbringer ]