Visit the Ironworks Gaming Website Email the Webmaster Graphics Library Rules and Regulations Help Support Ironworks Forum with a Donation to Keep us Online - We rely totally on Donations from members Donation goal Meter

Ironworks Gaming Radio

Ironworks Gaming Forum

Go Back   Ironworks Gaming Forum > Ironworks Gaming Forums > General Discussion > General Conversation Archives (11/2000 - 01/2005)
FAQ Calendar Arcade Today's Posts Search

Old 06-13-2002, 09:10 PM   #1
Ziroc
Ironworks Webmaster

Bow to the Meow

The emergence of a new virus that infects JPEG files was announced Thursday by security firm Network Associates and other antivirus companies, which received the code as a possible warning of things to come from its creator, who has requested anonymity.

The W32/Perrun virus, as it is now being called, extracts data from JPEG files and then injects picture files with infected digital images. A fair warning to those individuals who are fond of sending multimedia files to friends and families.

What makes Perrun so remarkable, according to security experts, is that it is the first viral program with multiple parts and the ability to carry viral code from programs into data files. Until now, data files were relatively immune to infection. Not so anymore, say experts.

Typically, the virus arrives via email or a floppy disk as an executable file, and so the standard warning against opening programs sent as attachment should once again be enforced. The contaminated file unleashes an extractor virus onto the hard drive and when a picture file is accessed with the .JPG extension, the second part of the virus strikes without notice to the sender or receiver of the digital image file.

The good news is that security experts think Perrun can easily be thwarted in its current incarnation and at present it cannot travel via mass emailings. Although with an upgrade it could easily become more destructive and pose a serious threat to PC users.

Computers running on Microsoft Windows are particularly vulnerable to Perrun, say experts.

Vincent Gullotto, antivirus researcher for McAfee Security was quoted as saying that Perrun is indicative of a very destructive pattern in the development of viruses and that it could be a sign of things to come for the exchange of JPEG files.
-------------------

This is some scary crap guys. Everyone, make SURE you get your virii scanners UP TO DATE with the latest virus def's. This one is coming soon... GRRRR.

[img]graemlins/choc.gif[/img] , GO KILL THE VIRUS MAKERS!!!!!! (OK)

The Great Escape Studios - 2D/3D Modeling
www.tgeweb.com & Ziroc's Facebook Page
Visit My Flickr Photo Album
Old 06-13-2002, 09:20 PM   #2
Ziroc
Ironworks Webmaster

Bow to the Meow

I think I will add a 'global' warning icon for any alerts like this (Some of you may remember I did this on the old board when new virii were attacking).

I gotta work on the code, but everyone, SCAN ALL FILES now.. your virus scanner should ALWAYS be set to "SCAN ALL FILES" and not just the 'exe's and others..

Old 06-13-2002, 09:23 PM   #3
Kakero
40th Level Warrior

so..what damage does this virus actually do?
Old 06-13-2002, 09:27 PM   #4
Lifetime
Red Dragon

How exactly does this virus spread? And what does it do?
I'm on a college network 24/7 and we've got so many pictures of scantily clad women flying around its scary..
What would we ever do without our scantily clad women??? [img]graemlins/crying.gif[/img]
Old 06-13-2002, 09:29 PM   #5
Ziroc
Ironworks Webmaster

Bow to the Meow

Read here for the info on the Virus:
http://securityresponse.symantec.com...32.perrun.html

or:
---------------------------------
W32.Perrun
Discovered on: June 13, 2002
Last Updated on: June 13, 2002 12:58:32 PM PDT

W32.Perrun is a virus that infects JPEG files. The malicious content of files that it infects will not spread to other computers. Indications of infection are that .jpg files will have increased in size by approximately 11KB, and the presence of the file Extrk.exe.

Variants: W32.Perrun.dr
Type: Virus
Infection Length: 11,780 bytes
Systems Affected: Windows 3.x, Windows 95, Windows 98, Windows NT, Windows 2000, Windows XP, Windows Me

Virus Definitions (Intelligent Updater) *
June 13, 2002

Virus Definitions (LiveUpdate™) **
June 19, 2002

Intelligent Updater virus definitions are released daily, but require manual download and installation.
Click here to download manually.

LiveUpdate virus definitions are usually released every Wednesday.
Click here for instructions on using LiveUpdate.

Wild

Number of infections: 0 - 49
Number of sites: 0 - 2
Geographical distribution: Low
Threat containment: Easy
Removal: Easy
Threat Metrics

Wild:
Low
Damage:
Low
Distribution:
Low

Damage

Payload: Infects .jpg files
Modifies files: Infects .jpg files

If a .jpg file that has been infected by W32.Perrun is opened on another, uninfected computer, it will not execute malicious actions on that computer because the virus requires the presence of the Extrk.exe file for it to execute and infect other files.

Upon execution of the viral executable, detected as W32.Perrun.dr, the virus does the following:

It drops the files:

Reg.mp3. This is a registry file that the virus uses to modify the registry.
Extrk.exe. This is the executable that will be configured in the registry to open all JPEG files.

Extrk.exe is then configured to open all JPEG files by changing the (Default) value of the registry key

HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\Software\Classes\jpegfile\shell \open\command

to

extrk.exe %1

Symantec Security Response encourages all users and administrators to adhere to the following basic security "best practices":

Turn off and remove unneeded services. By default, many operating systems install auxiliary services that are not critical, such as an FTP server, telnet, and a Web server. These services are avenues of attack. If they are removed, blended threats have less avenues of attack and you have fewer services to maintain through patch updates.
If a blended threat exploits one or more network services, disable, or block access to, those services until a patch is applied.
Always keep your patch levels up-to-date, especially on computers that host public services and are accessible through the firewall, such as HTTP, FTP, mail, and DNS services.
Enforce a password policy. Complex passwords make it difficult to crack password files on compromised computers. This helps to prevent or limit damage when a computer is compromised.
Configure your email server to block or remove email that contains file attachments that are commonly used to spread viruses, such as .vbs, .bat, .exe, .pif and .scr files.
Isolate infected computers quickly to prevent further compromising your organization. Perform a forensic analysis and restore the computers using trusted media.
Train employees not to open attachments unless they are expecting them. Also, do not execute software that is downloaded from the Internet unless it has been scanned for viruses. Simply visiting a compromised Web site can cause infection if certain browser vulnerabilities are not patched.

To remove this virus:

1. Update the virus definitions and run a full system scan.
2. Repair files that are detected as W32.Perrun, and delete files that are detected as W32.Perrun.dr
3. Restore the (Default) value of the registry key

For details on how to do this, read the following instructions.

To scan with Norton AntiVirus and repair or delete the infected files:
1. Obtain the most recent virus definitions. There are two ways to do this:
Run LiveUpdate, which is the easiest way to obtain virus definitions. These virus definitions have undergone full quality assurance testing by Symantec Security Response and are posted to the LiveUpdate servers one time each week (usually Wednesdays) unless there is a major virus outbreak. To determine whether definitions for this threat are available by LiveUpdate, look at the Virus Definitions (LiveUpdate) line at the top of this write-up.
Download the definitions using the Intelligent Updater. Intelligent Updater virus definitions have undergone full quality assurance testing by Symantec Security Response. They are posted on U.S. business days (Monday through Friday). They must be downloaded from the Symantec Security Response Web site and installed manually. To determine whether definitions for this threat are available by the Intelligent Updater, look at the Virus Definitions (Intelligent Updater) line at the top of this write-up.

Intelligent Updater virus definitions are available here. For detailed instructions on how to download and install the Intelligent Updater virus definitions from the Symantec Security Response Web site, click here.

2. Start Norton AntiVirus (NAV), and make sure that NAV is configured to scan all files.
NAV Consumer products: Read the document How to configure Norton AntiVirus to scan all files.
NAV Enterprise products: Read the document How to verify a Symantec Corporate antivirus product is set to scan All Files.
3. Run a full system scan.
4. If NAV detects any files as infected by W32.Perrun, click Repair.
5. If NAV detects any files as infected by W32.Perrun.dr, click Delete.

To restore the value to the registry:

CAUTION: Symantec strongly recommends that you back up the registry before you make any changes to it. Incorrect changes to the registry can result in permanent data loss or corrupted files. Modify only the keys that are specified. Read the document How to make a backup of the Windows registry for instructions.

1. Click Start, and click Run. The Run dialog box appears.
2. Type regedit and then click OK. The Registry Editor opens.
3. Navigate to the following key:

4. In the right pane, double-click

(Default)

The Edit String dialog box opens.
5. Delete the contents of the Value Data box, and replace it with the following:

"C:\PROGRA~1\INTERN~1\iexplore.exe" -nohome

NOTE: This is the default setting for a standard installation that uses Internet Explorer as the program with which .jpg files are opened. If you have changed this--for example, you use another program to view or edit files of this type, you should make the appropriate substitution.

6. Click Registry, and click Exit.

Old 06-13-2002, 09:33 PM   #6
Attalus
Symbol of Bane

Or, do as I do and never read your e-mail. Works for me.
Old 06-13-2002, 11:41 PM   #7
/)eathKiller
Dracolisk

Quote:
Originally posted by Lifetime:
What would we ever do without our scantily clad women???
I ranted about it before and i'll bloody rant again!!!

PNG is SO the way to freaking go!!!
But then again that's pretty easy to hack too *res edits it* oh lookies it's a Jpeg *res edits back* ooh now its a PNG again *res edits* OH its a GIf but don't tell the guys who invented it that *res edits to original state* yep... that's a load of bullocks isn't it? Anyway, since GIFs are now illegal and JPEG is virus prone we'll ALL have to be getting used to PNGs... yup

Let's hear it for PNGs!!!

*hip hip hoorayee*

Besides, who needs to TRADE pictures of scantly clad women anyway? Go find your own, it's not hard, I just drew a few myself this mornin... *gets slapped repeatedly by his female characters' Harisen weapons*
Old 06-14-2002, 04:15 AM   #8
Scholarcs
Red Dragon

Just remember to always update your virus scanner...I get updates every week, I would recomend everyone to update theirs once a month at least.
<br />\"A child of five would understand this. Send someone to fetch a child of five\" - Groucho Marx<br />Member of the ORT Clan. <br />\"Some birds are not meant to be caged because their feathers are too bright\"<br />Ma bouche sera la bouche des malheurs qui n\'ont point de bouche, ma voix, la liberté de celles qui s\'affaissent au cachot du désespoir. - Aimé Césaire<br />La plus perdue de toutes les journées est celle où l\'on n\'a pas ri. - Sébastien Roch Nicolas