Visit the Ironworks Gaming Website Email the Webmaster Graphics Library Rules and Regulations Help Support Ironworks Forum with a Donation to Keep us Online - We rely totally on Donations from members Donation goal Meter

Ironworks Gaming Radio

Ironworks Gaming Forum

Go Back   Ironworks Gaming Forum > Ironworks Gaming Classics > Icewind Dale | Heart of Winter | Icewind Dale II Forum
FAQ Calendar Arcade Today's Posts Search

Old 12-03-2002, 12:10 PM   #1
Vassago
Manshoon

Ok, I think I'm going to cut my party down to 3 characters. I've also decided to do a little cheating. I'm going to solo each character thru Targos then export and finally bring them all together. I believe they will all start at about level 6. Here is who I am taking:

1) Vassago Strongheart Hafling Male Rogue X/ Fighter 4 Neutral Evil
13/20/15/14/10/4
Skills: Pick Pocket (Dex), Search (Int), Disable Device (Int), Hide (Dex), Move Silently(Dex), Open Lock(Dex)
Feats: Ambidexterity & Two-Weapon Fighting
Weapons: Small Blades & Bow

2) Alessa Human Female Monk of the Old Order X/ Rogue 3 Lawful Evil
16/18/16/6/17/3
Skills: Hide(Dex)
Feats: Power Attack & Cleave
Weapons: Hands & Sling

For my third member, I'm undecided on ...

3a) Nexus Half-Elf Cleric (Morninglord of Lathander) X/ Sorcerer X/ Fighter 4 True Netural
10/10/14/8/17/17
Skills: Concentration(Con)
Feats: SF Evocation
Weapons: Maces & Sling

or

3b) Nexus Aasmiar Male Cleric (Morninglord of Lathander) X/Sorceror X True Neutral
10/12/14/8/18/18
Skills: Concentration (Con)
Feats: SF: Evocation

I'm wondering if I do 3a, will Fighter be the favored class or will it change when one of the other classes goes beyond 3? I like the idea of a half-elf because they are immune to charm and sleep spells. Since he is going to be my only spell caster, I can't have him falling down on the job Also, if I go the Half-Elf route w/ Fighter 4, I would specialize him in maces. The downside in doing a Cleric/Sorceror is can't wear armor w/o arcane failure. So I'm looking for feedback on how to best create a Cleric/Sorceror character.

Thanks,
Vassago

[ 12-03-2002, 12:11 PM: Message edited by: Vassago ]
Old 12-03-2002, 03:42 PM   #2
Eg0[)e@th
Dungeon Master

The favored class for a half elf will always be whichever class has the highest level.

As for the cleric/sorcerer - put an emphasis on his (or her) Dexterity to help the AC. Be sure to choose the Armored Arcana feat to reduce the chance of spell failure. That's my half a cent's worth. [img]smile.gif[/img]
Old 12-03-2002, 04:19 PM   #3
the new JR Jansen
Drizzt Do'Urden

Quote:
Originally posted by Vassago:
Ok, I think I'm going to cut my party down to 3 characters. I've also decided to do a little cheating. I'm going to solo each character thru Targos then export and finally bring them all together. I believe they will all start at about level 6. Here is who I am taking:

1) Vassago Strongheart Hafling Male Rogue X/ Fighter 4 Neutral Evil
13/20/15/14/10/4
Skills: Pick Pocket (Dex), Search (Int), Disable Device (Int), Hide (Dex), Move Silently(Dex), Open Lock(Dex)
Feats: Ambidexterity & Two-Weapon Fighting
Weapons: Small Blades & Bow

2) Alessa Human Female Monk of the Old Order X/ Rogue 3 Lawful Evil
16/18/16/6/17/3
Skills: Hide(Dex)
Feats: Power Attack & Cleave
Weapons: Hands & Sling

For my third member, I'm undecided on ...

3a) Nexus Half-Elf Cleric (Morninglord of Lathander) X/ Sorcerer X/ Fighter 4 True Netural
10/10/14/8/17/17
Skills: Concentration(Con)
Feats: SF Evocation

or

3b) Nexus Aasmiar Male Cleric (Morninglord of Lathander) X/Sorceror X True Neutral
10/12/14/8/18/18
Feats: SF: Evocation

I'm wondering if I do 3a, will Fighter be the favored class or will it change when one of the other classes goes beyond 3? I like the idea of a half-elf because they are immune to charm and sleep spells. Since he is going to be my only spell caster, I can't have him falling down on the job Also, if I go the Half-Elf route w/ Fighter 4, I would specialize him in maces. The downside in doing a Cleric/Sorceror is can't wear armor w/o arcane failure. So I'm looking for feedback on how to best create a Cleric/Sorceror character.

Thanks,
Vassago
You can also find a nice piece of armor that has 0 spellcasting failure. Only thing is, you can only find that one late in the game.
Old 12-04-2002, 08:22 AM   #4
Vassago
Manshoon

That's what I was afraid of. I'll have to go w/ just the Sorceror/Cleric mix and forget about adding in the 4 levels of Fighter. Oh well, one can dream. Yeah, I was considering taking the Arcane Armor feat so he could wear some armor. Once when I was going thru Targos, I came across armor that added +1 to dex. I think it was something like +2 Armor, +6 dex bouns and special of +1 dex w/ 15% Arcane failure. I figure taking AA would help thru the begining and I'll boost his dex as he progresses thru the game.

Nexus Aasmiar Male Cleric (Morninglord of Lathander) X/Sorceror X True Neutral
10/12/14/8/18/18
Feats: Armored Arcane
Weapons: Maces & Crossbows

Another question I have, how many points do I need to put into skills? Typically when I have played, I've choosen like one skill and always maxed it out. I'm thinking specifically about my Cleric/Sorceror and my Theif. B/c of my C/S's low int, I can only max out Concentration during each level up, but I would also like him to have some other skills as well. I just wasn't sure at what point I should start adding points to other skills.

[ 12-04-2002, 08:29 AM: Message edited by: Vassago ]