Visit the Ironworks Gaming Website Email the Webmaster Graphics Library Rules and Regulations Help Support Ironworks Forum with a Donation to Keep us Online - We rely totally on Donations from members Donation goal Meter

Ironworks Gaming Radio

Ironworks Gaming Forum

Go Back   Ironworks Gaming Forum > Ironworks Gaming Classics > Wizards & Warriors Forum
FAQ Calendar Arcade Today's Posts Search

Old 07-14-2001, 10:32 AM   #1
Greystone
The Magister

My first post on this GREAT board...

I have several questions that I have not seen answered, sorry if I have simply missed them.

I know that the stats vary by race (AGL for Pixie is different from same AGL for Oomphaz, for example). Does a high STR rating for a Pixie yield the same results in bashing/forcing locks/chests that a high STR rating would for a larger race? Along this same line, will a Pixie character do the same melee damage as a larger race character with the same stats/skills/equipment?

Do Pixies work well with Kung Fu? Can they do the same damage with this skill as the larger races (again, similarly equiped/skilled)?

Finally, a more general question. Does a maxed out Kung Fu produce the same damage (more or less?) as the better swords available in the game? Is it better to use hands/feet or go for the weapons (especially for a Pixie)?

BTW, considering a solo Pixie career, may try Warrior->Barbie->Ninja->Assassin.

Thanks for the assistance,
Greystone
Greystone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2001, 11:25 AM   #2
Wyvern
Ironworks Moderator

Welcome to the board, Greystone!!!

I have absolutely no Pixie advise to offer but there are many on this board who have played Pixies. I hope they will flood you with a wealth of hints and observations about Pixies!

Wyv
Wyvern is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2001, 03:50 PM   #3
Max
Dungeon Master

Hi ya Greystone,

I have played a pixie solo game so I may be able to answer a few of your questions.

Firstly I found that the kung fu damage that my pixie delt out was comprable to that of other races.

Secondly the weight that a pixie will be able to carry when he/she has full strengh will be very low, my pixie was able to top out at only 90lbs, so you might want to consider the kung fu option because some of the better swords take up a fair chunck of your 90lbs.

If I remember rightly my pixie could do around 50 damage with hes kung fu so that does compare well with the better swords, I would recomend that if you go the kung fu way that you also teach him some sheild skills as holding something in hes 2nd weapon slot will enable him to kick as well as punch making better use of hes kung fu.

As far as breaking open chests I found no difference from other races.

You might want to consider starting as a wizard instead of warrior, the reason I say this is because I find "Merlins Sheild" very usefull in the first half of the game. It can be used to protect you from the traps in chests and will give you a good amount of protection from vomit(zombies), swamp muck and mantraps.

My ideal role accension for a pixie would be:-
Wizard(lvl 14) -> Barbarian -> Samuria -> Paladin -> Ranger -> Assassin -> topping out as Zenmaster or Valk.

I hope this helps good luck and keep posting as to how your game is going and what choices you finaly make.

------------------
......shake it baby.
Max is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2001, 07:42 AM   #4
Radek
Red Dragon

1. Your pixie gets high Parry (above 30) in the game. Along with the Dodge trait, the Parry value will make your pixie almost untouchable.
2. The damage inflicted by a pixie is the same as the damage inflicted by other races.
3. Kung Fu: I have no experience with it. Otherwise, do not fear swords. Katanas are light. Your pixie can afford it.
4. The Stone magic: somebody of your party must know it but I do not think that it must be your pixie.
5. The career selected for your pixie is OK. The stone magic do not fit into it. The resulting pixie will be a fast and effective warrior able to cast Moon and Fiend spells. Okay, why not. The Stone magic will be studied by someone else.
Radek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2001, 08:51 AM   #5
Greystone
The Magister

I opted to start a solo Pixie Wizard (7), then upgraded to Warlock (9). Now have most of spells from all four (available) categories of magic (used arrow+1 buy/sell cheat for gold). He has completed early Crypt quests and cleaned up Nymph Lake and wiped out the "evil" in Toad Village. I then realized that I might have some trouble...[SPOILER]...as there are magic resistant/immune creatures in some portions of the Crypt. How can a very poor fighter like mine get past these creatures? I don't really want to change class just yet...

So far Prixus rocks! He almost never gets hit, has parry +11 and speed +8 (with 18 AGL).

Thanks for your help!
Greystone
Old 07-16-2001, 10:09 AM   #6
Radek
Red Dragon

Greystone,
I daresay you made a mistake. You need the Spirit magic for your solo character! Also, you should have the Vine magic. You should do the following before it is too late:
1. Become a Paladin: you can because you are a member of the Temple. The Paladin role gives you the Spirit magic. Try to get a spider egg and a skull.
2. Become a Ranger: being a Paladin, you can join the Warrior Guild and take the role. The Ranger role gives you the Vine magic.
3. Reset adventures.
4. Become a Paladin: as a Ranger, you can get the role in the Warrior's Guild.
5. Become a Warlock: as a Paladin, you can get the role in the Temple.
6. Reset adventures a start from scratch. Your effort shown so far isn't lost. You are much stronger now.
Of course, you can speed up things with "guild hopping". The recommendations above are "pure" - no guild hopping, etc. Now:
1. The Heroic Might spell allows you to compensate your bad weapon proficiency. Cast Heroic Might + Haste + Bloodlust and your warlock will be enough good with weapons.
2. You cannot pass with spells only. Some creatures have many hundreds of HP. Each such creature will cost you all your spell points - you cannot allow it. Some creatures are completely immune to magic: the Spirit of Warrior and the Spectral Warrior on the warrior's path in the crypt, for example. You MUST be able to fight and you must be able to fight efficiently - even a warlock can fight efficiently.
3. Look out! Trap! A warlock cannot use a pickaxe. Therefore, a warlock cannot dig up the Dragon Ore and gain the Dragon Plate Mail. You will need a mule (a warrior). Your warlock will cleanse the way and the mule will use the pickaxe. Note that a warlock can equip the Dragon Plate Mail.
4. If you do not like the Spirit and Vine magic then take the following spells at least:
Spirit: Heroic Might, Great Heal, Restore Health, Artifact of Spirit.
Vine: Haste, Cure Poison, Cure, Breath of Air.
Old 07-16-2001, 01:03 PM   #7
Greystone
The Magister

I have only gotten Wizard/Warlock SO FAR...I was planning to go Barbarian (cute idea...Pixie Barbie) next, then probably Paladin/Monk (not sure which yet) for Spirit magic, Ranger for Vine magic, then Ninja and finally Assassin. However, I am not yet ready to change class from Warlock. I suppose the only way to proceed will be to kill Rumphy again and again until I reach the level I want. Then I can proceed to the warrior class and gain melee fighting ability.

For those of you who have played through the game, please answer this question: I used the gold cheat (arrows, in this case) to gain lots of gold for high level skills/stats training at low levels (am 7th Wizard/9th Warlock, have nearly all the powerful spells from Stone, Sun, and Moon, and several from Fiend). Will this ruin the gameplay, or is the game difficult enough to remain challenging? So far, I have started about three different parties, never got to the Toad Village until recently with THIS solo character, so I have not seen much of the game at all, and do not want to spoil the experience by being WAY too powerful too early in the game. Your comments are welcome!

Greystone
Old 07-17-2001, 05:00 AM   #8
Radek
Red Dragon

I have played a solo pixie several times. You will be WAY too powerful in Valeia, extra poverful in Ishad N'ha and very powerful in Brimloch Roon. This is caused by the Dodge trait and it cannot be mended. On the other way, your possibilities to choose equipment will be restricted by the very low carrying capacity of a pixie. You will always wear robes (no armor) and use light weapons like katanas. Also, I had real problems with casting defensive/fortifying spells. I think this is caused by a bug: a pixie is dodging its own spells probably.
You will have to fight as any other character has. You will have to solve the same problems. Do not fear. You will take damage. Your advantage consists in getting damage only seldom. I think a pixie is a very good choice if you want to see how a solo character works and what you need for it. You can try an elf later to see what all can the monsters do to you.
Old 07-17-2001, 07:11 AM   #9
adam warlock
Ma'at - Goddess of Truth & Justice

I'm trying to imagine TinkerBell doing kung-fu against a Dragon...

HAIII-YAH!
adam warlock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2001, 08:18 AM   #10
Greystone
The Magister

Good visual, Adam!

After half an hour of frantic punching & kicking, the Pixie Ninja has managed to dislodge one or two scales from the underbelly of the Dragon...This serves to annoy said dragon, who finally notices that he is under attack and prompty eats the brave Pixie in a single bite (FAR less than a mouthful).

Hehehehehe

Greystone