Visit the Ironworks Gaming Website Email the Webmaster Graphics Library Rules and Regulations Help Support Ironworks Forum with a Donation to Keep us Online - We rely totally on Donations from members Donation goal Meter

Ironworks Gaming Radio

Ironworks Gaming Forum

Go Back   Ironworks Gaming Forum > Ironworks Gaming Forums > Baldurs Gate II: Shadows of Amn & Throne of Bhaal
FAQ Calendar Arcade Today's Posts Search

Old 01-23-2005, 06:11 PM   #1
Leslie
Baaz Draconian

Just a short (yeah, right ) list of spells needed to succesfully fight beholders without Cloak of Cheese or Shield of Balduran:

CAN'T LIVE WITHOUT:
Stoneskin
Prot. from Petrification
Chaotic Commands (or Shield of Harmony)
Free Action (or ring)
Prot. from Magical Energy
Prot. from Lightning (or boots or cloak)
Prot. from Poison – Ring of Gaxx or Periapt of Proof against Poison
SPELL SHIELD

RECOMMENDED:
Death Ward (Hive mother likes to cast Finger of Death )
Spirit Armor or Ghost Armor
Blur
Mirror Image
Improved Invisibility
Haste
Improved Haste
Protection From Magical Weapons

This obviously works for mages (dual, multi) and bards. Kensai/Mages and Blades are especially good in these fights.

I'm posting this since there are so many spells that you might forget one or two. For me it's like a checklist. [img]smile.gif[/img]

Someone may find this useful.
Old 01-23-2005, 07:03 PM   #2
Q'alooaith
Emerald Dragon

Minor Spell Turning
Minor Spell Deflection
Spell Turning
Spell Deflection

Minor globe of invulnerblity
Globe of invulnerblity

But for all the prep spell's with short duration you could summon a bunch of skelletal warriors, haste them, death ward (Pretty sure it makes them immune to insta death from death spell)

Buffed summons, the easy way to kill pretty much anything.
Old 01-23-2005, 09:11 PM   #3
Sir Degrader
Thoth - Egyptian God of Wisdom

The best defense is a good offense!
Horrid Wilting
Fireball (x5 )
A picture of Ben Afflek
Carmsoyr
Flail of Ages
Sir Degrader is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2005, 09:18 PM   #4
Cerek
Registered Member
Iron Throne Cult

Thanks for the lists Leslie and Q. [img]graemlins/thumbsup.gif[/img]

I personally have no problem using the Cloak of Cheese against beholders, but my current party has not gotten far enough to get that yet. I wasn't concerned about it until I was exploring the sewers and had a beholder and 2 guaths Dimension Door in when I fought the Black Ooze (or pudding) near the Sea Troll. They blasted my party apart. I finally managed to beat them with Yoshimo's traps. My party is just out of the Chateau and have only completed a few of the easier quests (Slavers, Circus and some miscellaneous encounters), so I don't have the money to buy the potions and scrolls needed for all those protective spells.

I have Aerie and Kelsey in my party for arcane casting, but their spell lists are not up to speed for fighting beholders yet.

BTW, I thought there was also a Shield you could purchase from Ribald that would reflect Beholder rays. I'm almost positive there is a second item in the game that works similar to the Cloak of Cheese but isn't quite as powerful. I did buy the Shield of Reflection for Jaheira, but that isn't it.

Any idea what the 2nd Beholder cheese item is?

OH.. and my solo bard found that Skull Traps were also VERY effective against beholders.

[ 01-23-2005, 09:21 PM: Message edited by: Cerek ]
Old 01-23-2005, 11:21 PM   #5
SixOfSpades
Dracolisk

Or, alternatively.....

Polymorph Self
Wand of Cloudkill
Good offensive weapon
If Tougher Beholders installed, some form of protection from poison (Gaxx, Periapt)

But that's not the sexy way. [img]smile.gif[/img]
Old 01-24-2005, 12:10 AM   #6
Dundee Slaytern
Ironworks Moderator

Disclaimer: The following methods are all classified as high-level solutions.

Alternatively, if you want to go the "I-Demand-To-Stamp-Mah-Supreme-Authority-Onto-Ye" route.

1) Shapeshift:Iron Golem

Self explanatory.

2) Wish + Magic Damage Immunity( aka, the Nuke)

Everyone is a hostile in the Beholder Lair. Let it rain destruction indiscriminately onto them( even if you can't see them [img]tongue.gif[/img] ).
Dundee Slaytern is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2005, 03:43 AM   #7
Leslie
Baaz Draconian

Quote:
Originally posted by Q'alooaith:

But for all the prep spell's with short duration you could summon a bunch of skelletal warriors, haste them, death ward (Pretty sure it makes them immune to insta death from death spell)
Unfortunately that doesn't work with Improved Beholders.
They use death spell very often and death ward DOES NOT protect aginst it.

[ 01-24-2005, 03:46 AM: Message edited by: Leslie ]
Old 01-24-2005, 08:25 AM   #8
Assassin
Symbol of Cyric

Easy way: SI: Necro, SI: Abjuration, Spell Shield, Death Ward (there's another SI that I forgot somewhere, but I can't remember now for the life of me). All spells are easy to get. Sunfire, Skull Trap, Flame Arrow, ADHW, you name it, you do it. [img]tongue.gif[/img]
In The Terminator, Sarah Connor is told a speech by John Connor\'s father that John has given in the future. When John is born, Sarah tells John this speech, and John grows up to tell it in the future. So who wrote the speech?!
Assassin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2005, 08:46 AM   #9
Dundee Slaytern
Ironworks Moderator

Quote:
Originally posted by Assassin:
Easy way: SI: Necro, SI: Abjuration, Spell Shield, Death Ward (there's another SI that I forgot somewhere, but I can't remember now for the life of me). All spells are easy to get. Sunfire, Skull Trap, Flame Arrow, ADHW, you name it, you do it. [img]tongue.gif[/img]
SI:Evocation be my guess. To handle the Gauths' lightning rays.
Dundee Slaytern is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2005, 10:46 AM   #10
Q'alooaith
Emerald Dragon

Quote:
Originally posted by Cerek:

Any idea what the 2nd Beholder cheese item is?
S
P
o
i
l
e
r

S
p
a
c
e

The shield of cheese, Aka the shield of balduran..

Deardy, or somthing like that from the bonus merchants sell's it in the adventure mart.

It's as bad as the cloak of cheese before it was fixed, it not only blocks the attacks but send them back to the beholders..