Visit the Ironworks Gaming Website Email the Webmaster Graphics Library Rules and Regulations Help Support Ironworks Forum with a Donation to Keep us Online - We rely totally on Donations from members Donation goal Meter

Ironworks Gaming Radio

Ironworks Gaming Forum

Go Back   Ironworks Gaming Forum > Ironworks Gaming Forums > General Discussion > General Conversation Archives (11/2000 - 01/2005)
FAQ Calendar Arcade Today's Posts Search

Old 02-21-2004, 08:26 PM   #1
Aunora Moonvale
Elite Waterdeep Guard

I just realized that I haven't been on this forum since August. Online games can do strange things to one's mind, including making you fail chemistry, an expensive mistake in university. My advice? In the immortal words of Monty Python: Run Away! Run Away!
Old 02-21-2004, 08:40 PM   #2
Dron_Cah
Horus - Egyptian Sky God

Defend Your Castle Champion Frogger Champion Monkey Diving Champion Summer Games Champion Donkey Kong Champion
Moon Lander Champion Space Invaders Champion
ouch, thats not good. yes, most definitely, run away. If it's that addictive for you, continue running for a long, long time.
Old 02-21-2004, 08:56 PM   #3
Nerull
Lord Ao

Used to be addicted to MUDs back in the day, and failed an entire semester at college. Just like with anything else, you have to learn things the hard way sometimes. Now that you know you have a problem with it, you need to either control the time you play (limit yourself to only a certain amount of time in a week) or stop playing entirely. I first limited myself, and recovered just fine. Then, I started having tougher classes, so I just quit entirely. You're the only one who can help yourself in this case.
[img]\"ubb/noncgi/smiles/new/ghoul.gif\" alt=\" - \" /><br /><br />\"The middle class pays all of the taxes, does all of the work.<br />The lower class exists just to scare the middle class.\"<br />-George Carlin
Old 02-22-2004, 12:38 AM   #4
Timber Loftis
40th Level Warrior

Back in the days when MUDs were just text and I couldn't stand them, I nevertheless found a way to do very poorly a few semesters playing PnP. It's all the same, no matter the diversion if you find yourself waking up barely in time for lunch, missing most classes, and staying up all night it's time to change some things.

My girlfriend in law school did the same thing. Up all night, sleep all day. Finally, I had to quit marking her name on attendance rolls because my classmates knew I was covering for her. And ultimately, she dropped out. Of course, she'd learned a bit of programming from her all-night online buddies by then and took a different career path.

Which brings me around to another point: if you are doing something that you like and will lead to a job/career you want, do not lose sight of the goal for immediate distractions and pleasures.
Old 02-22-2004, 12:52 AM   #5
Gangrell
Iron Throne Cult

Yea, I'm the same way sadly. For a long time I stopped playing video games because I had nothing to play, and everything I had I already played to death. But to this day, whenever I get a new game, I don't stop playing it until I beat it. I don't let it get so bad it effects my schooling, but on my days off, I play for hours on end.

Oh well [img]tongue.gif[/img]
Old 02-22-2004, 06:13 AM   #6
Link
Jack Burton

Is it so good then? I heard SW: Galaxies was pretty decent but most of all very expensive. Can you give me some insight on the game, Aunora?
Old 02-22-2004, 09:28 AM   #7
RoSs_bg2_rox
Zartan

I'm the same. At one point it got to the stage that I didn't want to go out anymore because I just wanted to stay on the computer. I managed to cut down a bit although I'm aware that I still probably spend too long on it. I tend to stay on IW for far too long aswell now I think, I mean before I would just come on for 10 minutes, then go and play a game, now I have to persuade myself that there is nothing else too look at, often after 2 + hours and go and play a game, sounds pretty sad, but hey, I suppose I enjoy it so thats all that matters right.
Old 02-22-2004, 09:47 AM   #8
wellard
Dracolisk

Spent 5 hours on IWD today.. and about 1 hour with the kids, I know I have a problem

fossils - natures way of laughing at creationists for over 3 billion years