Visit the Ironworks Gaming Website Email the Webmaster Graphics Library Rules and Regulations Help Support Ironworks Forum with a Donation to Keep us Online - We rely totally on Donations from members Donation goal Meter

Ironworks Gaming Radio

Ironworks Gaming Forum

Go Back   Ironworks Gaming Forum > Ironworks Gaming Forums > General Discussion
FAQ Calendar Arcade Today's Posts Search

Old 05-24-2001, 07:57 PM   #1
WOLFGIR
Bastet - Egyptian Cat Goddess

Do you prefer to have a game translated into your own language and the game in original... or do you want it all to be translated..or do you want it completely as the original?

I prefer original as far as it is in a languish I can understand at least. I don´t mind the manual being translated, but I hate it whem they translate names into swedish and in the game it is a completely different one.. Like Magic Missile is called "magisk missil" Or Flaming Sphere would be eldklot and also Fireball is named eldklot too... Gets really annoying!

So how would you like it?

------------------

Yawning lazywolf..
WOLFGIR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2001, 08:05 PM   #2
Fljotsdale
Thoth - Egyptian God of Wisdom

Well, I'm a native English speaker, but I have seen some manuals and other things translated into English from other languages! If don't have to use 'em I just roll around laughing at the WEIRD stuff the translators come up with - but if I HAVE to use 'em I get hopping mad! I do think they should get competant translators instead of dorks who only learned the language out of books, lol!

------------------

[This message has been edited by Fljotsdale (edited 05-24-2001).]
Fljotsdale is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2001, 08:08 PM   #3
Neb
Account deleted by Request

I prefer the english ones even though I am danish, seriously, most of those things sound cooler in english, it's kinda like having a book translated from it's original language, many of the jokes are lost, and in the end it is far worse.
Neb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2001, 08:12 PM   #4
WOLFGIR
Bastet - Egyptian Cat Goddess

Quote:
Originally posted by Neb:
I prefer the english ones even though I am danish, seriously, most of those things sound cooler in english, it's kinda like having a book translated from it's original language, many of the jokes are lost, and in the end it is far worse.
Echo that Neb! Nice to see more nocturnals from Scandinavia here!

------------------

Yawning lazywolf..
WOLFGIR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2001, 08:12 PM   #5
Raze
The Magister

I think that if the translators are really rubbish, then it can be funny (like watching a badly dubbed kung-fu movie)

I just like looking at the pictures.
Raze is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2001, 09:12 PM   #6
Sazerac
Ironworks Moderator

Quote:
Originally posted by Raze:
I think that if the translators are really rubbish, then it can be funny (like watching a badly dubbed kung-fu movie)

Right...like Caleb's signature about "All your base are belong to us". That became a cult catch-phrase from a badly translated video game from years ago.

I guess it depends on how well the translation is. I like watching Anime movies in the original Japanese, unless the translation is really good (like Akira).

Sazerac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2001, 05:46 AM   #7
Dreamer128
Dracolisk

English all the way.
Dutch is terrible gaming language.
Dreamer128 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2001, 05:57 AM   #8
Melusine
Dracolisk

Quote:
Originally posted by Dreamer128:
English all the way.
Dutch is terrible gaming language.
Hah! You're d*mn right there! English all the way for me as well!

------------------
Melusine, Archbabe of the Order of the Holy Flame and the Laughing Hyenas, &
Official Entertainer Elf of the BG2 Bar

Your voice is ambrosia
Melusine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2001, 07:30 AM   #9
MidNightForce
Elite Waterdeep Guard

If some of you could speak german, and you would play the german versions of BG1, or BG2 or even icewind dale, you would get crazy, believe me. I cant imagine why such good games, cant be translated by competent people. I dont think, that Black Isle has financial problems, so Why The F*** they dont pay for some qualified translators!?!?

------------------
Night is not always that, what it looks like...
MidNightForce is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2001, 08:26 AM   #10
Barbucha
Dungeon Master

Quote:
Originally posted by WOLFGIR:

I prefer original as far as it is in a languish I can understand at least. I don´t mind the manual being translated, but I hate it whem they translate names into swedish and in the game it is a completely different one.. Like Magic Missile is called "magisk missil" Or Flaming Sphere would be eldklot and also Fireball is named eldklot too... Gets really annoying!
I have a same problem, manual with names translated (Magic Missile - magicka strela), and game in original language. If is the game completely translated, well, but this combination translated/original

------------------

Barbucha - a bear's bugaboo

[This message has been edited by Barbucha (edited 05-29-2001).]
Barbucha is offline   Reply With Quote