Visit the Ironworks Gaming Website Email the Webmaster Graphics Library Rules and Regulations Help Support Ironworks Forum with a Donation to Keep us Online - We rely totally on Donations from members Donation goal Meter

Ironworks Gaming Radio

Ironworks Gaming Forum

Go Back   Ironworks Gaming Forum > Ironworks Gaming Forums > Baldurs Gate II: Shadows of Amn & Throne of Bhaal > Baldurs Gate II Archives
FAQ Calendar Arcade Today's Posts Search

Old 06-15-2001, 12:24 AM   #1
Damark_Ifrit
Elite Waterdeep Guard

I have my thief drank about 5-6 thief potion, so his pick pocket is around 280, but still, he failed on every single merchant ( pick pocket from trade window ), I have no problem with normal pick pocket thought, got a ring of Regen from Ribald. Is it a bug? or is there any specific thing I am supposed to do when I pickpocket from trade window?
Old 06-15-2001, 12:29 AM   #2
Balor
Dungeon Master

I have the same prob.. but i have got no answer.. But i try to steal from bernard in the tavern in the slums....
I really dont know if its a bug!
Old 06-15-2001, 12:33 AM   #3
Lord Diggler
Elite Waterdeep Guard

Make sure you have your thief selected when pickpocketing from the trade screen, on several occasions I tried to pickpocket and it fail cause I was using a non thief.
Old 06-15-2001, 12:46 AM   #4
Xod
Zhentarim Guard

I had this happen before too, it must be an undocumented bug. I had my thief drink potions of master thievery until he was maxed, and he would fail every time. I rested off the potions' effects and then tried again, this time stopping just below maxium. You don't really need more than 200 for any merchant, but there will always be a 1% chance of failure.

------------------

"This place will be your tomb."
Old 06-15-2001, 07:52 PM   #5
Damark_Ifrit
Elite Waterdeep Guard

so how do u fix it, Xod? or it just stops by itself? those level 9 spells are a pain in the pocket to buy.
Old 06-15-2001, 07:55 PM   #6
Wah
Symbol of Cyric

I don't max out - I get Imoen to drink a couple and she does pretty fine.
Must be a bug: have you tried the same thing with some NPCs?
Perhaps it's just your character?

------------------
Old 06-15-2001, 08:11 PM   #7
Cavern Sniffer
Elminster

In my experience a pick pocket skill of around 170 will let you thieve to your hearts content. There are one or two exceptions. Bernard in the Copper Coronet is one of the most difficult people in the gameto dip and he will eventually catch you regardless of your skill. The gnome merchantin the Umar Hills is another difficult sod.

Dexterity plays a major role in your thieving ability as does the armour you're wearing. Elves with high Dexterity make excellent thieves as do some others, halflings I think. Try to drink a dexterity potion and remove your armour prior to going shopping.

------------------
It's bleedin dark down here, slippery too.
Man, that's a pisser.