Visit the Ironworks Gaming Website Email the Webmaster Graphics Library Rules and Regulations Help Support Ironworks Forum with a Donation to Keep us Online - We rely totally on Donations from members Donation goal Meter

Ironworks Gaming Radio

Ironworks Gaming Forum

Go Back   Ironworks Gaming Forum > Ironworks Gaming Forums > General Discussion > General Conversation Archives (11/2000 - 01/2005)
FAQ Calendar Arcade Today's Posts Search

Old 01-12-2002, 01:15 PM   #11
MagiK

Congrats on going broadband Dude [img]smile.gif[/img]

The best thing to do is talk to the company that
will be supplying your service. Cost wise I have found
that the modem provided by the provider is a fair deal
compared to the $150-200 you might spend on your own,
the lease rate from the provider per month should be
$5 or less, it would take quite a while to make up that difference.
Also if anything goes wrong with it and you are leasing it from
the cable provider then they replace it at no cost to you.

The Key requirement I believe is that the cable modem be DOCSIS
Compliant (not sure of the correct acronym but it is pronounced DOSIS with a long O sound) Happy broadbanding [img]smile.gif[/img] I love my cablemodem [img]smile.gif[/img]
(its a Toshiba PCX1100)

Old 01-12-2002, 01:19 PM   #12
Melusine
Dracolisk

quote:
Originally posted by Arledrian:
I'm also getting cable on Monday. I just called up the nearest cable company, and they'll come over and do everything themselves, I have to pay a lump sum of about 150 dollars and they sort out the rest.

I really would advise calling a company and not doing it yourself.

Depends. We installed our ADSL connection ourselves and it saved us about 200 dollars! It depends on how difficult the installation is, but for us it was so simple, we would have had to be crazy to pay some other bugger to do it for us. [img]smile.gif[/img]
Old 01-12-2002, 02:26 PM   #13
Sorcerer Alex

quote:
Originally posted by Melusine:

Depends. We installed our ADSL connection ourselves and it saved us about 200 dollars! It depends on how difficult the installation is, but for us it was so simple, we would have had to be crazy to pay some other bugger to do it for us. [img]smile.gif[/img]

Lekker voordelig he [img]tongue.gif[/img]

Old 01-12-2002, 07:27 PM   #14
MILAMBER
Lord Soth

quote:
Originally posted by slackerboy:
just posting because i have to (respectfully) disagree with milamber.
I had both running at the same time one two computers side by side. and while it is true that the cable would slow down sometimes, at its slowest point it was 50% faster than the dsl. and it was rare for it to get that slow. it was normally twice as fast as dsl. i told my dsl company to stuff it. love my cable. but i am changing company's next month. but it is just going to change over to my cablecompany' own service. so we dont expect problems.

I think it must really depend on where you are at. My Cable company sucked. There were times when my bandwidth was at 30K for downloads with cable. My DSL is constant at around 800K.
\"The object of war is not to die for your country but to make the other bastard die for his.\"<br />-General George Patton (1885-1945)<br /> <br />Member of CLAN HADB<br />Founder of The Anti Clan Coalition
Old 01-12-2002, 08:07 PM   #15
Aelia Jusa
Iron Throne Cult

Tetris Champion
We got cable a couple of months ago. Here's some helpful advice - make sure the people coming to connect your house to the cable are scheduled to come before the guy who's installing the cable modem. The modem guy came at 8am. He goes, where's your cable box? I go, what? The cable people arrived at 9:30am. So we have to entertain the modem guy for a couple of hours while they connect up our house. And they were from the same company! Never underestimate stupidity
Old 01-13-2002, 05:41 PM   #16
MagiK

quote:
Originally posted by MILAMBER:

I think it must really depend on where you are at. My Cable company sucked. There were times when my bandwidth was at 30K for downloads with cable. My DSL is constant at around 800K.

True your Downstream will fluctuate but in my experience with cable I fluctuate between 756 and 2.5 meg down stream and have a steady 128 up.....so I would be giving up too much by going to DSL

Old 01-14-2002, 02:43 AM   #17
MILAMBER
Lord Soth

quote:
Originally posted by MagiK:

True your Downstream will fluctuate but in my experience with cable I fluctuate between 756 and 2.5 meg down stream and have a steady 128 up.....so I would be giving up too much by going to DSL

You have a 2.5 megabit download? That's as good as I get on my T3 at work! I wish I had a cable company that could offer that.
\"The object of war is not to die for your country but to make the other bastard die for his.\"<br />-General George Patton (1885-1945)<br /> <br />Member of CLAN HADB<br />Founder of The Anti Clan Coalition