Visit the Ironworks Gaming Website Email the Webmaster Graphics Library Rules and Regulations Help Support Ironworks Forum with a Donation to Keep us Online - We rely totally on Donations from members Donation goal Meter

Ironworks Gaming Radio

Ironworks Gaming Forum

Go Back   Ironworks Gaming Forum > Ironworks Gaming Classics > Wizards & Warriors Forum
FAQ Calendar Arcade Today's Posts Search

Old 09-15-2001, 04:28 PM   #1
jmaz
Elite Waterdeep Guard

I was given W&W as a gift about 6 months ago. I played through the first town, got the hang of the controls & interface & such, & genarally started liking the game a lot. Got into 2nd town, and worked my way to the serpent temple. Here I got so annoyed that I put the game down and haven't touched it for about 5 months. The problem, spefically, was the Prison Puzzle. You know, the one with 6 locked doors and 4 levers? One thing I can't stand is random combination puzzles. No hints earlier in the game as to how to open them, no scroll or map that you have to search for or find to get you through the doors, no ability to apply logic or problem solving. Just 4 levers, and you need to pull random combinations and open the doors. I equate this to handing someone a combination lock and saying "get it open". Not fun, just tedious. And I don't see going to a "walkthrough" to have someone else tell me how to get through it. So I recently decided to give the game another go, but my question is, how many of these "random combination" puzzles can I expect from this point on? If it's a few, I guess I can live with it. If there are many of them, where there is nothing to the puzzle but tediously trying to figure out a random pattern, then I'd like to know now...
jmaz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2001, 05:05 PM   #2
Sazerac
Ironworks Moderator

As far as I know, there are four:

1) The lever puzzle in the Serpent Temple (by far the worst of the lot)

2) The chain yank puzzle in Shurugeon Castle (seemingly daunting, but easy if you persist at it)

3) The wormhole puzzle in the Boogre caves (which can be bypassed, and is also fairly easy to figure out)

4) The platform puzzle in Skull Castle (again, fairly easy to figure out, also there is a non-solution workaround as well).

I think that's all of them; if I've forgotten some, let me know.

-Sazerac
Sazerac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2001, 12:49 PM   #3
Wyvern
Ironworks Moderator

Welcome to the board, jamz!!!

I would not qualify any of the puzzles in W&W as "random pattern". There is a logic to all of them. The lever puzzle in the Serpent Temple is probably the most difficult to solve but the premise is simple - two levers, one coin. If you dislike these sort of puzzles, why not make use of tips to get through them? There is so much in the game to enjoy, don't let these puzzles stop you!

Good Luck!

Wyv
Wyvern is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2001, 01:58 PM   #4
Jazzid
Manshoon

Hi!
A good hint is to write down what combinations you use. For instance, in the Serpent's Castle it took me no more than 15 coins to figure out all combinations to all six doors.

Another seemingly random puzzle would be the elevator maze to get to the serpent queen. Again I mapped the area and where the different elevators took me. I guess mapping is an old trick of the trade for all adventurers. I don't know how I would have got through the eye of the beholder games without it
/Jazzid
Jazzid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2001, 02:16 PM   #5
jmaz
Elite Waterdeep Guard

Thanks for the info and the welcome. I probably will use walkthroughs or help from this board for the other 3 that Sazerac mentions. Mind you - it's not that I don't like a challenge - it's just that I don't see randomly attempting combinations as a challenge. Anyway - enough of that. I plan to be posting here a good bit as I get back into the game - so I hope the # of posts daily remains at a good level. I seem to recall looking at this board 6 months ago, and not seeing much activity. (?) It seems more active now. Am I remembering something wrong, or has this board's use grown?
jmaz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2001, 08:41 AM   #6
Wyvern
Ironworks Moderator

Looking forward to your posts, jmaz!!!

The activity on the board varies. I've been on this board since October of last year and have seen periods when it was difficult to even keep up with all the posts and other times when there are only a few. I think our recent increase in activity is the result of W&W hitting the bargain racks in many stores. Whatever the reason, I'm always glad to see new posters! I've made a lot of wonderful friends on this board!

Wyv
Wyvern is offline   Reply With Quote