Visit the Ironworks Gaming Website Email the Webmaster Graphics Library Rules and Regulations Help Support Ironworks Forum with a Donation to Keep us Online - We rely totally on Donations from members Donation goal Meter

Ironworks Gaming Radio

Ironworks Gaming Forum

Go Back   Ironworks Gaming Forum > Ironworks Gaming Classics > Icewind Dale | Heart of Winter | Icewind Dale II Forum
FAQ Calendar Arcade Today's Posts Search

Old 11-21-2002, 06:16 PM   #1
Rankor
Elite Waterdeep Guard

Hello all,

Sheesh! I thought that I chose an "interesting" party, but had no idea it was going to be this interesting. I am having a tough time making through a lot of the big battles (still in CH 1, just about to fight my way through the goblin warrens), at least one of my characters gets killed every time, no matter what I do (if not all of them). Here is what I have:

Fighter
Druid
Monk
Rogue--sneaky type
Sorceress
Lathander Priestess

They are all level 5. I think my problem is that I am using classes that I am not familiar with: Monk, Druid and a Sorceress. The monk in particular drives me crazy, he has the highest AC of the whole group (18 with no armor), a +17 to hit, and 5-12 damage, but he gets worked every time. He dies quicker than my 8-year-old niece would in the same situation. How long before he gets usable????

Do you have any strategies for me for the druid and sorceress? Right now I'm feeling a little constrained by the small variety of spells that the sorc can use.

I guess I chose classes that come to their full power only at later levels, but this is driving me caraaaaayyyyzeeeeee (crazy).

Thanks for listening to me complain,

Rankor
Rankor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2002, 08:01 PM   #2
espeed
Dungeon Master

errrr.......have patience with your monk, in time he will become unstoppable
espeed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2002, 09:35 PM   #3
Jack of Speed
Manshoon

Until he is imported into a HoF game at which point he will be n00b hamburger again.
Old 11-22-2002, 06:08 AM   #4
ronan
The Magister

I have the same problem, my party consists of;
Fighter
Paladin
Barbarian
Cleric
Rogue/Illusionist
Wizard

It is getting to be a drag having to rest after every single battle. Not something I can really rationalise. Am I just being a cack-handed fool or is this game just a lot tougher than the other BG games?
Old 11-22-2002, 08:33 AM   #5
Vassago
Manshoon

The problem could be your stats mixed w/ the skills and feats you have selected. Give us some more detail about your party (stats, races, skills & feats). What weapons and armor are they equipped with?
Old 11-22-2002, 09:26 AM   #6
Kygon-Jo
Dungeon Master

Ronan you have a good mix for your party you should get through ok. Check some tactics threads.

Rankor, My opinion only, I think you need another tank for your first time through the game. Your spell casters need to level up and you will be fine.
Kygon-Jo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2002, 11:04 AM   #7
Gimli
Emerald Dragon

Also what kind of battle tactics are you using? I also think an extra tank could help alot, but overall your party choices are OK.

One tactic you can try using to reduce the damage you're taking is to summon a creature (although unless you have the latest patch installed, don't use the "summon undead" spell, use a "summon monster" spell). Have it walk in front of your party. It will get noticed and attacked first. Your party can then hit your opponents with ranged weapons/spells, and engage them in melee after they've been softened up a bit.

Also go after mages and archers first, especially mages!
Old 11-22-2002, 03:57 PM   #8
koz-ivan
Manshoon

Quote:
Originally posted by Rankor:
Fighter
Druid
Monk
Rogue--sneaky type
Sorceress
Lathander Priestess
well it's not a party i would of chosen...

the druid, monk, rogue, and cleric are slowing you down, they are not great melee types yet, nor have their spells really come into play...

i'd try and stiffen your rogue w/ some ftr type classes (rng, ftr, barb)

you may want to explore shapechange w/ the druid, and work on using it's spells, entangle, alicorns lance & and spike growth were mainstays of my spell combats.

the monk, i don't use them much, they always seem to be missing something and i tire of them rapidly.

w/ the sorc, focus on area effect damage. snowball, fireball, skull trap.
koz-ivan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2002, 04:53 PM   #9
The Lilarcor
Elminster

I have 2 fighters 2 rangers a mage and a sorceress
I remember where you are and it seems that your just approaching it wrong and i
suggest using auto pause very usefull whenever someone gets injured or someone casts a spell or end of round. I've had an interesting time talking to you goodbye if you have anymore q's email me at jasefacekhs@yahoo.com
Old 11-23-2002, 05:55 PM   #10
Imrahil
Elminster

This is a little cheesy, but here's what I did -

I was having a lot of trouble early on at the Goblin Fortress, too, so I decided to start a new game & import my characters. They re-did the prologue & the bridge & gained a little more XP (a level or two tops) & were much better prepared for the Goblin Fortress next time they arrived there.

- Imrahil
Imrahil is offline   Reply With Quote