Visit the Ironworks Gaming Website Email the Webmaster Graphics Library Rules and Regulations Help Support Ironworks Forum with a Donation to Keep us Online - We rely totally on Donations from members Donation goal Meter

Ironworks Gaming Radio

Ironworks Gaming Forum

Go Back   Ironworks Gaming Forum > Ironworks Gaming Forums > Baldurs Gate II: Shadows of Amn & Throne of Bhaal
FAQ Calendar Arcade Today's Posts Search

Old 11-13-2004, 06:47 PM   #1
weskerwesker
Elite Waterdeep Guard

i have some newbie questions ....

how do i cure slowness...?
and what do i do when a playr cannot move

i`ve started the game...and the mage/thief imoan Always got stuck and cannot move... especially after the first battle with the guardian..SHE`S JUST STUCK AND ITS SAY ENCUMBERED CANNOT MOVE.

and on the way..any new tips for beginner? (:

i let jaheria go on the start now i only have minsk..meself..and imoan..
weskerwesker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2004, 06:58 PM   #2
nashriel
Elite Waterdeep Guard

if it says encoumbered cannot move or your characters are slowed, it means you have too much heavy gear in your backpack. let your strong characters e.g. minsc carry the heavy stuff.

a totaly spoiler-free tip would be to hit the Q-key often.

[ 11-14-2004, 07:43 PM: Message edited by: nashriel ]
Old 11-14-2004, 01:14 AM   #3
SixOfSpades
Dracolisk

Great big tip: Take the link in my sig and start reading. Pages and pages of good stuff, with nary a spoiler to be found.

The starting dungeon is rather a pain in the butt if you're new to the game, but just remember: Hey--it's a dungeon. You were put here to be tortured. It's supposed to be unpleasant.

Since you say you annoyed Jaheira into leaving (not really your fault, she tends to get rather huffy if you say the wrong thing), I would actually start the game over if I were you: At this point, the more people you can have on your side, the better.

Encumbrance: In the bottom-left-hand corner of your Inventory screen, you'll see a picture of a backpack and two numbers: One is that character's Weight Allowance, the other is how much weight that character is currently holding. Go even a single pound above your allowance, and your movement rate will be cut in half. Go about 15% more than your allowance, and you won't be able to walk at all.
Old 11-14-2004, 04:56 AM   #4
weskerwesker
Elite Waterdeep Guard

thanks a lot !

HMMM

i just got OUT of the first dungeon , and i`m in a weird city , i saw that evil irencius OUT there , some mysterious Wizards appear and arrested both irencius and imoan...well so far..i don`t have an Idea what the hell is going on..??? ;p

ah.. and another thing.
in imoan Wizards Book i see Lotsa spells..
i guess i can`t Use them Yet Because Of Imoan Low Level?
Old 11-14-2004, 07:02 AM   #5
Marty4
Symbol of Cyric

Firstly, it's spelled Imoen.

Secondly, have you beaten BG1 yet? You may be confused with the storyline if you haven't, and the practice of BG1 will make you more prepared for BG2.

Thirdly, Imoen can't cast spells if she is wearing armor other than mage robes or Elven chain mail.

Don't know if this is a spoiler since it's in the manual but
~
~
~
~
The wizards were the Cowled wizards, a police force that arrests magic users in the city of Athkatla (sorry if I mispelled that).
Marty4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2004, 10:29 AM   #6
Feral
Elminster

Not having much of an idea what's going on at first is sort of the point. Look at it this way: you came to in a dungeon - you have no idea how you get there or why you're there, you were experimented on by some weirdo and your head hurts. You get out of the dungeon and you're not at all where you last remembered seeing the sun. Oh, and your old friend Imoen has just been arrested for trying to help you. Pop quiz - what do you do? I'd start exploring. It won't be long before you starting figuring it out, little by little. Exploring to figure out what's going is the best (and main) part of the game - it's really non-linear, so you'd best get used to it.

As for Imoen - you got it. Those spells are scribed in her book but she doesn't have the slots (on the left-hand side of the page) to memorize them yet - too low level.
Old 11-14-2004, 01:06 PM   #7
weskerwesker
Elite Waterdeep Guard

ha i see..

thanks for the help.

i finished the circus Quest and now i`m on the second floor of the inn..there is a xxxxxxx DWARF here with couple of his friends..i think its a sorcerer and two soldiers..and one Beast..(THE Beast look like these Mephets from the first dungeon.) anyway i`m getting a real Hard time to Beat these Guys...especially that Dwarf... ANY Tips??
i Have 4 people in My Party meself,minsc,yoshimo or what ever his name is , and that winged Elf Girl.
thanks.(:

Edited vulgar word out.
Please do not use that word in our forums.
Thanks.

[ 11-14-2004, 07:32 PM: Message edited by: Larry_OHF ]
Old 11-14-2004, 01:06 PM   #8
IronDragon
Elminster

I fondly remember my first time through BG2 (more years ago than I care to admit) and the joy of NOT knowing what was going on. Enjoy it.

As for your dilemma a few general hints:
Start by talking with people, a lot of people in the area of the Promenade are chuck full of information free for the asking. Visit a few shops, trade in stuff for cash. There are a couple inns in the area and you and your party might need to rest. Before you do rest make sue you check everyone’s spell books and priest spells. Resting with spell slots empty means they stay empty.

A more specific hint: if you try to leave the Promenade area you will find only one other section of the city open to you. Meaning something important in the way of the story line is waiting for you. And if your party is a bit underpowered…in this new area you can find several friends more than willing to join up with you.
Old 11-14-2004, 02:51 PM   #9
Feral
Elminster

I forgot to mention something. There are going to be lots of monsters, parties, whole areas that you can't beat or even survive for long at whatever level of experience you are. In other words, try various tactics, but if it looks hopeless, come back after you have more experience and better equipment. That's also normal in this game - it's part of its non-linear nature.

Since you asked for hints - there are lots of ways to skin this memphit, but many people have had positive experiences with charm/domination spells. Let them fight each other.

Finally, be careful with using expletives in the forum. Many people won't mind, but someone will and you'll hear about it from the Moderator.

[ 11-14-2004, 02:53 PM: Message edited by: Feral ]
Old 11-14-2004, 04:07 PM   #10
Pirengle
Symbol of Cyric

Yet another warning...

Don't be afraid to save your game and try things. As long as you save the game first, you can go up against Mencar Pebblecrusher (the dwarf) and his party as many times as you like, trying different tactics and spells and whatnot. If you still can't beat them (and not many parties straight out of the dungeon can do that) you can always come back and try again later.

And be careful about asking for help on this board. If you don't want to know quest results or plot points or other things about the game, make sure to say in your posts that you don't want spoilers. If not, people will let them drop like crazy.

Another plug for Six's site--go check it out!