Visit the Ironworks Gaming Website Email the Webmaster Graphics Library Rules and Regulations Help Support Ironworks Forum with a Donation to Keep us Online - We rely totally on Donations from members Donation goal Meter

Ironworks Gaming Radio

Ironworks Gaming Forum

Go Back   Ironworks Gaming Forum > Ironworks Gaming Forums > Miscellaneous Games (RPG or not)
FAQ Calendar Arcade Today's Posts Search

Old 06-23-2002, 01:33 AM   #11
Nanobyte
Thoth - Egyptian God of Wisdom

i think i kinda built myself up on all these expectations that i almost completely lost interest. i enjoy playing the game, but not with that rich role-play feeling. i'm not those type of guys either, Nydlari. of all the rpg's i have, i've probably played EACH through 3 or more times to get the full feedback, and certain ones have taken (most likely) months just to make sure my actions fit my character. perhaps i've passed the ordinary, and expect too much, but I will hang on to this game. and i'm glad your able to describe my personal life with that of how i choose to play this game..
Nanobyte is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2002, 02:28 AM   #12
Rhuarch
Dungeon Master

I think life is easier when everybody remembers that people have different tastes. I know its hard to get out of the self-centric view that everyone must think the same way you do. but the fact is, no matter how much you enjoy something (or dislike it for that matter) You can't expect everybody to feel the same way. And the people who disagree with you aren't any better or worse for the differing opinion. Not to mention the fact that the object of debate isn't any better or worse for any one of your opinions. If you like the game accept that, and play it. If you don't like the game accept that and don't play it. But don't try to force others to agree with you based on your own arbitrary likes and dislikes. Debating opinions is ALWAYS futile, and usually inflammatory

[ 06-23-2002, 02:31 AM: Message edited by: Rhuarch ]
Old 06-23-2002, 09:12 AM   #13
Lady Avalon
Emerald Dragon

I love this game. It has everything you can possibly want in a game. I started playing this game the middle of May, probably when it first came out. I am nowhere near to being even halfway through it. I love the weather changes, dust storms, thunderstorms, sunny days, the starlit sky, etc.

This game will last several months and I am happy about that. I love exploring, adventuring, going off doing different quests, fighting, leveling up and even being distracted off onto another quest. What could you not like about this game? No, you can't finish it in a few hours or even a few days.

I find myself complely involved in this game. I sit down and can play for hours and only get a couple quests done.

The only complaint I have about this game is that it kind of stutters and hiccups, but I think it's my video card and not the game.
Old 06-23-2002, 02:38 PM   #14
ronan
The Magister

Firstly, "Debate is always futile", I believe that is called having a closed mind. I wanted to encourage debate as much as possible with my post so that I could try and see what exactly appeals to some people so much and not to others. Please, debate is the heart of democracy and if you close your ears to the voice of others you close your mind.
Anything that anybody says here will not in any way provaracate me or cause friction. People have every right to say that I am a whatever-whatever and that I have entirely missed the point of the game however what I am trying to find out is what have I missed?
I love long, involving games. My favourite pc games are Deus Ex, the BG series and Civ3. I like a challenge, I expect pc games to make me think and that is why I buy them rather than console games.
In terms of ambition and scope I have nothing but admiration for Morrowind but I believe the mechanics of the game are flawed. Just like some of the other people who have posted I loved ESM for about a week but then I realised I was not using my brain. How can I develop empathy for my character when I can not interact with anyone else in the game world? How can I develop a personality when I can only use one word at a time?
This game ruins all sense of immersion for me with it's annoying flaws. I get along very well with my local pub landlord, I have known him for twenty years since I was a young child but a pint of beer in his pub still costs the same as a pint of beer next door no matter how many times I tell him how nice his eyes are. Yes I can see the point of a small element of price differences according to attitude but a differential of 10x is, IMO, ridiculous.
This is just one of the situations which grate on me and stop me from really getting into this game.
Just one more example, I meet an orc who confesses a crime to me, a stranger, and asks me to take a note to his accomplice. I return to the nearest town to report this crime to the guard, nothing doing. No way of veering of the path of passing the note on to the accomplice and returning to receive my award, a diamond. Surely in a game with ambitions of frre-form play I should at least be able to report a crime to the guards.
Please continue to give me your opinions as I really feel I may be persuaded to give it another go if you guys think it is worth it.
Old 06-23-2002, 02:39 PM   #15
ronan
The Magister

Firstly, "Debate is always futile", I believe that is called having a closed mind. I wanted to encourage debate as much as possible with my post so that I could try and see what exactly appeals to some people so much and not to others. Please, debate is the heart of democracy and if you close your ears to the voice of others you close your mind.
Anything that anybody says here will not in any way provaracate me or cause friction. People have every right to say that I am a whatever-whatever and that I have entirely missed the point of the game however what I am trying to find out is what have I missed?
I love long, involving games. My favourite pc games are Deus Ex, the BG series and Civ3. I like a challenge, I expect pc games to make me think and that is why I buy them rather than console games.
In terms of ambition and scope I have nothing but admiration for Morrowind but I believe the mechanics of the game are flawed. Just like some of the other people who have posted I loved ESM for about a week but then I realised I was not using my brain. How can I develop empathy for my character when I can not interact with anyone else in the game world? How can I develop a personality when I can only use one word at a time?
This game ruins all sense of immersion for me with it's annoying flaws. I get along very well with my local pub landlord, I have known him for twenty years since I was a young child but a pint of beer in his pub still costs the same as a pint of beer next door no matter how many times I tell him how nice his eyes are. Yes I can see the point of a small element of price differences according to attitude but a differential of 10x is, IMO, ridiculous.
This is just one of the situations which grate on me and stop me from really getting into this game.
Just one more example, I meet an orc who confesses a crime to me, a stranger, and asks me to take a note to his accomplice. I return to the nearest town to report this crime to the guard, nothing doing. No way of veering of the path of passing the note on to the accomplice and returning to receive my award, a diamond. Surely in a game with ambitions of frre-form play I should at least be able to report a crime to the guards.
Please continue to give me your opinions as I really feel I may be persuaded to give it another go if you guys think it is worth it.
Old 06-23-2002, 06:26 PM   #16
Nydlari
Manshoon

Quote:
Originally posted by ronan:
You do mean the orc outside Caldera right? You realy didn't look to hard to find someone to listen to you and turn him in did you? He can be turned in, just have to go past the apathetic guards around town, they are underpayed and overworked.
Nydlari is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2002, 08:26 PM   #17
Nastymann
Elite Waterdeep Guard

I think you missed the whole point of his statement about debate. He said debating OPINIONS is futile...NOT DEBATING ITSELF!

Nasty
Nastymann is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2002, 09:04 PM   #18
Kakero
40th Level Warrior

???

this post is a debate?
Kakero is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2002, 11:49 AM   #19
ronan
The Magister

what else do you debate other than opinions?
Old 06-24-2002, 12:26 PM   #20
Nanobyte
Thoth - Egyptian God of Wisdom

Quote:
Originally posted by ronan:
what else do you debate other than opinions?
Whether society today is runned by aliens..
Nanobyte is offline   Reply With Quote