Visit the Ironworks Gaming Website Email the Webmaster Graphics Library Rules and Regulations Help Support Ironworks Forum with a Donation to Keep us Online - We rely totally on Donations from members Donation goal Meter

Ironworks Gaming Radio

Ironworks Gaming Forum

Go Back   Ironworks Gaming Forum > Ironworks Gaming Classics > Baldurs Gate & Tales of the Sword Coast
FAQ Calendar Arcade Today's Posts Search

Old 12-25-2004, 04:09 PM   #1
Vedran
Lord Soth

I try to play multiplayer game over tcp/ip with my friend. But she cannot connect.
Am I doing it as I should? I just need to start mp game, select tcp/ip, and start a new game, right? Then I wait in character arbitration screen until all players join. Can I use the ip number I get at www.whatismyip.com? Or do I have to use the one that ipconfig /all says, and which ip number I use in that case?

We have tried to play in the pc-workshop in campus, but with the same result. Could it be that this game version has corrupted multiplayer? (I have three-cd version of the game, White Label.)

So we downloaded gamespy arcade, set up accounts, and managed to find each other on the server. I click create game, and a new window appears. Then we both click ready and try to launch game, and we get a message saying that the game is not properly installed or that the path is not correct. (But if I try to launch a single player game via the gamespy arcade, everything is fine.)

What are we missing? What could be wrong?
Please, any help is appreciated.
Vedran is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-26-2004, 08:15 PM   #2
RoSs_bg2_rox
Zartan

What is the error message you get? Do you use a firewall? Is it on? If so try with it off. Also, do you have the same game version?
Old 12-27-2004, 12:02 PM   #3
Vedran
Lord Soth

"There was an error that prevented the game from being launched. Check to make sure the game is properly installed and that the path is correct."

I have Norton Firewall, but I tried to play with it disabled, with much the same result.

I have the original cds, and she has burned copies of those. Perhaps that's the problem. But it's expensive to buy a game, especially if we don't know it would help.
Old 12-27-2004, 02:40 PM   #4
RoSs_bg2_rox
Zartan

Is that message when you try to connect to eachother, or when you try to boot the game up?

Also, are you hosting or is your friend? I presume from what I read it is you, but remember, one of you has to host.
Old 12-27-2004, 06:13 PM   #5
Vedran
Lord Soth

When we try to launch the game.

I don't presume I understand the gs arcade correctly.
I click "create game", "create room", and then she joins. Then I see her in the list to the right, we both press "Ready", then "launch game". Then we get the message.
(The same message appears even if I try to launch a multiplayer game with no other players, but not if I launch a singleplayer game)

What about directx? There is a patch that fixes multiplayer games with DirectX 7 and 8. I have dx9, though, but perhaps she somehow doesn't. How do those dx problems manifest, anyway?

You say "remember, one of you has to host." I don't quite catch your meaning. Do you mean gsa or in-game multiplayer? I believe I had hosted the game properly, but I could be wrong.
I am not sure what message she got when she had tried to join me via tcp/ip, though.

Could you list all steps required to successfully host and play the game? I could have made some obvious mistake.
Old 12-27-2004, 06:40 PM   #6
RoSs_bg2_rox
Zartan

I have never tried GS arcade. I always just connect directly through BG. Basically, fire up baldurs gate (try with firewall off to start with) then click on multiplayer-->connect-->protocols-->TCP/IP-->create new game-->then type the session name and a password (if you wish) and your player name. Then click new game and off you go. The other player just goes through the steps but presses join game rather than create.