Visit the Ironworks Gaming Website Email the Webmaster Graphics Library Rules and Regulations Help Support Ironworks Forum with a Donation to Keep us Online - We rely totally on Donations from members Donation goal Meter

Ironworks Gaming Radio

Ironworks Gaming Forum

Go Back   Ironworks Gaming Forum > Ironworks Gaming Forums > General Discussion
FAQ Calendar Arcade Today's Posts Search

Old 05-31-2005, 12:32 AM   #1
RSinton
Welcomed New User

Ok, so most of this is me rambling, if you want to get straight to the question just read the last paragraph and skip the rest, it's not really important.

I actually joined this forum a while back when I was really into Neverwinter Nights, but I couldn't remember my login information sooo here I am new account and all. Anyway, I've been lookin' for a while now and I've come up fairly empty handed when searching for a new good RPG.

I was curious if anyone here could point me in the right direction. I was a HUGE fan of EVERY Baldur's Gate game, expansions included. I have to say that Arcanum takes the cake in my book though, I also haven't had any luck with MMORPG's. I played EQ for a year and a half and WoW for roughly 2 months, as well as about a month of many other MMORPG's like EVE Online, Earth and Beyond, Asheron's Call, DAoC, Lineage 2, that online Final Fantasy (I've stopped trying to remember the numbers).

As for single player RPG's that I've tried (not counting Baldur's Gate and Arcanum), I enjoyed Temple of Elemental Evil, Dungeon Siege and Neverwinter Nights. I have been clammering over the past few months trying to come up with any game that can hold my interest for longer than a few days. I tried Dungeon Lords and I must say it was easily one of the worst games I've ever played, imagine one of those custom maps for NWN that the player's made which, on top of being ridiculously difficult to follow their badly written stories, everything about the game was inconvenient, not to mention a large part of the environment and NPC's had no function. Now take all that and put it in a first person view along with nearly no character customization and an obscene amount of bad guys in ridiculous spots.

I then turned to troika, seeing as they made Arcanum and a large part of the developers working there had created fallout which I also enjoyed. So their only game left I hadn't played was Vampire Bloodlines: The Masquerade. At first I didn't really know what to think, the audio in that first scene was skipping all over the place, I can only imagine because each NPC was like a finely sculpted piece of art. I turned every unnescessary visual effect off or to the minimal setting, and it still was choppy. For a while I lived with it because the game is quite good, it's just a shame that it crashed at least twice even with the patch installed and not to mention still choppy.

Anyway, look what you've gone and done, you've caused me to ramble, in short I was wondering if anyone could reccomend something to me which might coincide with my tastes, here's a review: Baldur's Gate series, Arcanum, KoTOR, NWN, Dungeon Siege, ToEE, Vampire Bloodlines: The Masquerade (only if it ran properly), Freelancer. Those are my favorites, if you are thinking to yourself hey I like some of those games and one similar comes to your mind, I would appreciate it greatly if you would enlighten me.

Thanks!

[ 05-31-2005, 12:33 AM: Message edited by: RSinton ]
Old 05-31-2005, 12:35 AM   #2
RevRuby
Fzoul Chembryl

ummm...i hear IWD and IWD2 are good.
Old 05-31-2005, 12:36 AM   #3
Hivetyrant
Jack Burton

first of all, Welcome to Ironworks!!!
As for your question, all I have to say is...
Planescape:Torment
Or
Maybe Fallout 1&2? (I didn't enjoy them, but everyone else seems to)
Hivetyrant is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2005, 12:49 AM   #4
RSinton
Welcomed New User

Sorry I forgot to put fallout and IWD on there, played both of those series. For some reason I always just assume Baldur's Gate is Icewind Dale, probably a noob thing to do but what can I say, I love to noob it up :-D. Thanks for the friendly greeting Hivetyrant, I'll definitely be checking out Planescape: Torment, I've never actually heard of it. Thanks again! And keep the suggestions coming if you have any!
Old 05-31-2005, 01:23 AM   #5
Hivetyrant
Jack Burton

Arrow

Quote:
Originally posted by RSinton:
I've never actually heard of it.

lol, you have never heard of it!?!?! Damn, you should REALLY look into it, ask 99% of the people here and they will tell you it's a fantastic game
Old 05-31-2005, 04:12 AM   #6
Legolas
Jack Burton

I hadn't heard of PS:T until I was told about it either.
Legolas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2005, 08:32 AM   #7
Iron Greasel
Fzoul Chembryl

I am proud to be one of the many saying that Planescape: Torment is a great game.
Old 05-31-2005, 09:40 AM   #8
Callum
Symbol of Cyric

Quote:
Originally posted by Legolas:
Y'know, it's a funny thing... but I find the exact same thing happens to me often
Old 05-31-2005, 11:00 PM   #9
Vaskez
Takhisis Follower

Quote:
Originally posted by Callum:
quote:
Y'know, it's a funny thing... but I find the exact same thing happens to me often [/QUOTE]Yeah it's quite remarkable, how you can fail to hear about things, until somebody tells you about them
Love conquers all? Damn, I'd say that area's gray
Vaskez is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2005, 11:06 PM   #10
Hivetyrant
Jack Burton

Quote:
Originally posted by Vaskez:
quote:
Originally posted by Callum:
quote:
Y'know, it's a funny thing... but I find the exact same thing happens to me often [/QUOTE]Yeah it's quite remarkable, how you can fail to hear about things, until somebody tells you about them [/QUOTE]At least I can always count on Vaskez to say what im thinking