Visit the Ironworks Gaming Website Email the Webmaster Graphics Library Rules and Regulations Help Support Ironworks Forum with a Donation to Keep us Online - We rely totally on Donations from members Donation goal Meter

Ironworks Gaming Radio

Ironworks Gaming Forum

Go Back   Ironworks Gaming Forum > Ironworks Gaming Forums > Baldurs Gate II: Shadows of Amn & Throne of Bhaal > Baldurs Gate II Archives
FAQ Calendar Arcade Today's Posts Search

Old 03-14-2001, 04:26 AM   #1
Manwe
Manshoon

Im planning to start playing with a Sorcerer, i know that i have to choose important spells and so on, can someone please post a list or give me some hints which spells i should choose? (that are important in the game).

Thanks...

------------------
"Oh King to whom all birds are dear, speed now this feathered shaft, and recall some pity for the Noldor in their need."
-Fingon's prayer to Manwë as he prepared to shoot Maedhros
Old 03-14-2001, 05:53 AM   #2
dafan

make sure have some good summoning spells avaible

------------------
My strength and honor
for king and country
Old 03-14-2001, 06:02 AM   #3
Altranan
Dungeon Master

Hi,
My choices were strongly influenced by the spells I used alot with my mage first time round. They were: 1)Magic Missle, Identify, Shield, Chromatic Orb and Charm Person. 2) Acid Arrow, Resist Fear (affects whole party), Stinking Cloud and Web. 3) Fireball, Dispel Magic, Haste . 4) Minor Sequencer, Minor Globe of Invulnerability, Ice Storm (personally I love this spell),Stoneskin. 5)Breach and Cloudkill.
These should allow you to tackle most things, and you can add more offensive/buffing and re-buffing spells at higher levels if you feel you are weak in a particular area.
You may want to include knock, if you decide to play without a thief.
Hope this helps.
Old 03-14-2001, 06:05 AM   #4
Horus - Egyptian Sky God

Quote:
Originally posted by Altranan:
Hi,
My choices were strongly influenced by the spells I used alot with my mage first time round. They were: 1)Magic Missle, Identify, Shield, Chromatic Orb and Charm Person. 2) Acid Arrow, Resist Fear (affects whole party), Stinking Cloud and Web. 3) Fireball, Dispel Magic, Haste . 4) Minor Sequencer, Minor Globe of Invulnerability, Ice Storm (personally I love this spell),Stoneskin. 5)Breach and Cloudkill.
These should allow you to tackle most things, and you can add more offensive/buffing and re-buffing spells at higher levels if you feel you are weak in a particular area.
Hope this helps.
get spook. the second best level one spell

Old 03-14-2001, 07:58 AM   #5
Melusine
Dracolisk

Quote:
make sure have some good summoning spells avaible
I would advice against elemental spells if you have Jaheira in your party (and you should, she's one of the best NPCs in the game). Jaheira can summon fire elementals too, with the extra bonus that she doesn't need to mentally control them like wizards have to (i.e. there is no chance that the elemental will turn against you). If you must have summoning spells go for spider spawn and wizard eye. You can get Monster summoning from a wand and the monsters are puny anyway, whereas a wizard eye is near unkillable. It won't fight for you, but it's great as fodder or distracion purposes.

Quote:
Magic Missile is simply indispensable, esp. when you have items that decrease the spellcasting speed. They're ideal to quickly disrupt other magicusers' spellcasting. Identify, Charm Person and Chromatic Orb (though beware the petrification effect, as it also petrifies the victims goodies!) are good to have as well, but I can't see the use of Shield, there are hardly any enemy ranged-weapon-users! Maybe you mean Armor, but that doesn't do much good either, considering there are mage armours like elven chain and also higher level versions of the same spell (Ghost and Spirit Armor). You really need some good spells to use against other magic users. Breach is a must-have, other useful spells are Minor Spell Deflection/Turning, Spell Thrust, Spell Trap, Pierce Magic and there are numerous others. Check your manual. Another VERY good disruption spell is Chain Lightning, I use it all the time. Spells I find pretty useless for a full party game are Ice Storm and Sunfire, as these will probably affact your party members/melee fighters. They are better left for when you're soloing the game.

Whew...sore fingers now!! Good luck with your game

------------------
Melusine

Your voice is ambrosia
Old 03-14-2001, 08:34 AM   #6
Sorcerer Dave
Drow Warrior

Well I am Level 11 Sorcerer and this is my first time through the game. I goofed and choose some stupid things like "Summon Familier". You dont want things like that. I also didn't get things like "Magic Missle" with I would like to have. The 3 spells I would recomend are "Fire Ball", "Ice Storm" and "Cast Web" cos these 3 things work great if used together. Especily against a large number of enemys. 1 downside about "Cast Web" is your PC's and NPC's are dumb asses and walk into it no matter how hard you tell them not to.
Old 03-14-2001, 09:22 AM   #7
Lifetime
Red Dragon

I'll have to debate dafan's recommendation of summon spells. Most of them are pretty useless IMHO. The lower level summon spells spawn creatures that dont last a single round against the high powered magic in BG2 and the higher level summons (Cacofiend, Pit Fiend) arent too effective with soaking up damage and spells since theres only one of them.

------------------
Why?
Old 03-14-2001, 09:26 AM   #8
Moiraine
Anubis

I like the elementals though.

------------------
Old 03-14-2001, 11:04 AM   #9
Manwe
Manshoon

Thanks for your advice! What do you think of higher level spells like Abi-Dalzims Horrid Wilting, Mantle/improved Mantle, Mordenkainen`s Sword...? Are they useful later in the game?

------------------
"Oh King to whom all birds are dear, speed now this feathered shaft, and recall some pity for the Noldor in their need."

-Fingon's prayer to Manwë as he prepared to shoot Maedhros
Old 03-14-2001, 11:42 AM   #10
Lord Shield

Here is my selection:
>
1st level - Magic Missile, Chromatic Orb, Identify
I wish I hadn't bothered with Find Familiar
2nd level - Horror, Stinking Cloud, Acid Arrow, Knock
3rd level - Minute meteors, Fireball, Haste, Invis 10' Radius
4th level - Ice Storm, Enchanted Weapon, Minor Glob/Inv
Every PC had a +3 weapon to hit the Iron Golem in De'Arnise Keep with!
5th level - Summon Fire Elemental, Cloudkill
6th level - Summon Greater Earth Elem
And so on