Visit the Ironworks Gaming Website Email the Webmaster Graphics Library Rules and Regulations Help Support Ironworks Forum with a Donation to Keep us Online - We rely totally on Donations from members Donation goal Meter

Ironworks Gaming Radio

Ironworks Gaming Forum

Go Back   Ironworks Gaming Forum > Ironworks Gaming Forums > General Discussion > General Conversation Archives (11/2000 - 01/2005)
FAQ Calendar Arcade Today's Posts Search

Old 04-03-2002, 04:15 PM   #1
john
Drizzt Do'Urden

I've been having a problem adding a video card to my 700 mhz compaq.It seems that the video chip is built inti the mother board and I can't find a new card that will work in conjuction with the original one Do I need to upgrade the motherboard or is their a way to dissable the original?One computer shop tried but couldn't get the bios to recognize the new card so I'm back to square one ,Any ideas ??Thanks John
Old 04-03-2002, 05:20 PM   #2
Blade
Emerald Dragon

It depends on the motherbored setup, by brother has a HP pervalion a 600mhz one and he had a option in the motherbored setup that said turn off onbored vidio or sumshuch. I don't know about how compaq does it but they might have a simular option, most boreds with onbored vidio and or audio have it.
Old 04-03-2002, 05:23 PM   #3
*\Conan/*
Red Dragon

John, I am no expert in these matters but I suggest you do one of two things.
1. Dont try to fix what isn't broken with your Compaq.
2. Save your money to buy a new machine.
I view this situation like this. Remember how you could throw open a hood on cars dated say.. from 1978 on down and acually solve a problem with ease. Throw open a hood of a modern car now
Having gone through this (like alot of people) not to long ago I thought I would save you some pain... Welcome to GD btw. [img]smile.gif[/img]
Old 04-04-2002, 08:22 AM   #4
Wulfere
Red Wizard of Thay

If you go to the Compaq site they tell you that the BIO's can be disabled. But since you have already tried having that done by folks who should know how (at the comp shop) it won't work for you. The disclaimer on the Compaq site says that you MAY be able too disable the BIO's, but that the Integrated card will still be used for some default actions. Like Conan said. I have just gone through this and finally was forced to go get another machine which is actually upgradeable. Sorry for the bad news.

Check out the Dell Outlet for refurbished machines and what you can get on them.
I have shopped about and found them to be pretty good.
Old 04-04-2002, 08:29 AM   #5
MagiK

Unfortunately in this particular area Compaq is almost as bad as the deceased Pakard Bell's

If there isn't a jumper on the motherboard and you can't disable the onboard video in the BIOS then you do need to buy a new machine.

(possibly scavenging parts from this one)