Visit the Ironworks Gaming Website Email the Webmaster Graphics Library Rules and Regulations Help Support Ironworks Forum with a Donation to Keep us Online - We rely totally on Donations from members Donation goal Meter

Ironworks Gaming Radio

Ironworks Gaming Forum

Go Back   Ironworks Gaming Forum > Ironworks Gaming Forums > General Discussion > General Conversation Archives (11/2000 - 01/2005)
FAQ Calendar Arcade Today's Posts Search

Old 12-19-2002, 11:40 PM   #31
Cloudbringer
Ironworks Moderator

Quote:
Originally posted by andrewas:
Grungi, it is my understanding that a law stands until specificaly repealed by the rulers of a nation. Therefore, there could be any number of laws that have fallen into misuse, but have never officialy been repealed and are therefore technicaly still in effect. I would be surprised if the european law makers had taken the time to hunt down every single bylaw from way back when to make sure they really want to include it.
This is certainly the case here in the USA. Many old laws are still on the books related to where one can tether animals....trust me, we don't worry much about where to park our horses in the city.... or sex laws... don't even get us started on those! [img]smile.gif[/img]
Old 12-20-2002, 06:18 AM   #32
Grungi
Banned User

well i give up, i used to do archery and had to wait till 14 to do it unsupervised so good example, i know that one so just add "not enforced today" to my earlier statement gah your telling me things i already know, im just not clarifying properly, my overall point is about european law which still stands, i know theres plenty of stupid laws, esp in america (in arkansas its illegal to leave a giraffe tied to a lamppost, thats a serious law) but people have common sense, and people who sat around making european laws wouldnt consider an english bylaw even if it did exist from 1000 years ago, just the same way as this archery thing isnt enforced, theres plenty of laws out there stretching back way into the past that noone cares about because they are just too out of line with modern society to enforce or even bother repealing so im not really interested in those, because they dont count towards european law, the ones that do would have passed through multiple commitees and votes, and im asking this one question:

would the people putting together european law seriously consider over the period of years and multiples commitees and votes that the law "trial by combat" is a valid one for the 20th century?

im saying no, thats my point, forget anything else i said, i think thats qualified enough isnt it?

and epona if you got a degree couldnt you just read between the lines of what i was saying to realise im not thick either and that im well aware of laws beforehand, in which case what i meant is different to what you were saying "its bollocks" too , next time read it through hard as that may be to do with my rambling style and then reply and DONT use insulting language id appreciate that. Reading between the lines is a crucial skill in historical studies and id imagine archaeology as well. Consider my writings a case study and do an analysis on it and on what im trying to say rather than whats being said, then you'll come up with the goods [img]smile.gif[/img]
Old 12-20-2002, 06:35 AM   #33
Epona
Zartan

Quote:
Originally posted by Grungi:

and epona if you got a degree couldnt you just read between the lines of what i was saying to realise im not thick either and that im well aware of laws beforehand, in which case what i meant is different to what you were saying "its bollocks" too , next time read it through hard as that may be to do with my rambling style and then reply and DONT use insulting language id appreciate that. Reading between the lines is a crucial skill in historical studies and id imagine archaeology as well. Consider my writings a case study and do an analysis on it and on what im trying to say rather than whats being said, then you'll come up with the goods [img]smile.gif[/img]
OK grungi, if you want me to come down to your level I'll try my best, but perhaps you should try saying what you mean instead of assuming we can all read minds. And no, the study of history is not about 'reading between the lines' it's about detailed analysis of texts - ie. the words written. If you analysed a text and then surmised something that wasn't written you'd be up shit creek.

Don't take it all so seriously for crying out loud, this is a gaming forum first and foremost. And try not to be so easily insulted, if I'd realised you were such a delicate little flower I'd have posted a picture of a kitten instead of replying to you.
Old 12-20-2002, 06:58 AM   #34
Grungi
Banned User

im hardly delicate, and your posting below my level i just feel that if i had of said similar comment id have been warned straight off by admin, its happened before, if you want to be mature and respond in a discussion then do so in an adult manner and dont reply with an insulting tone, esp if you are incapable of understanding what i posted.

i was NOT being sarcastic with the bit you highlighted i was saying it seriously! i was trying to put it in a light you could deal with, if you think i was being sarcastic your wrong, was trying to build bridges, but forget that. and you obviously got taught history a different way from me, reading between the lines is an important part, surmising throws up avenues you might otherwise not explore leading to actual facts being discovered, so logical analysis and reading between the lines are two important factors in historical study, certainly as i was taught.

but hey from what i can see from your responses u dont care about the original subject matter just about baiting me, dunno why, spose because i always reply, one of my flaws, i cant resist replying, but in this case ill ignore it, as you obviously are completely incapable of reading english and a complete waste of my time ill just ignore you from now on in any thread, if you want to flame find someone else, im not interested. So bollocks to ya [img]smile.gif[/img]
Old 12-20-2002, 07:28 AM   #35
Donut
Jack Burton

Quote:

but hey from what i can see from your responses u dont care about the original subject matter just about baiting me, dunno why, spose because i always reply, one of my flaws, i cant resist replying, but in this case ill ignore it, as you obviously are completely incapable of reading english and a complete waste of my time ill just ignore you from now on in any thread, if you want to flame find someone else, im not interested. So bollocks to ya [img]smile.gif[/img]
A well thought out, intelligent and well delivered response. Epona, if you hadn't wasted your time at university studying such subjects as history and archaeology you could have improved your mind reading and ESP skills. That way you would understand what Grungi meant to say rather than what he actually said and he wouldn't have to keep posting to explain another point which you have completely missed!
[img]\"http://www.wheatsheaf.freeserve.co.uk/roastspurs.gif\" alt=\" - \" /> <br />Proud member of the Axis of Upheaval<br />Official Titterer of the Laughing Hyenas<br />Josiah Bartlet - the best President the US never had.<br />The 1st D in the D & D Show
Old 12-20-2002, 08:02 AM   #36
The Hierophant
Thoth - Egyptian God of Wisdom

Quote:
im hardly delicate, and your posting below my level i just feel that if i had of said similar comment id have been warned straight off by admin, its happened before, if you want to be mature and respond in a discussion then do so in an adult manner and dont reply with an insulting tone, esp if you are incapable of understanding what i posted.

i was NOT being sarcastic with the bit you highlighted i was saying it seriously! i was trying to put it in a light you could deal with, if you think i was being sarcastic your wrong, was trying to build bridges, but forget that. and you obviously got taught history a different way from me, reading between the lines is an important part, surmising throws up avenues you might otherwise not explore leading to actual facts being discovered, so logical analysis and reading between the lines are two important factors in historical study, certainly as i was taught.

Grungi, seriously man, you're making a mountain out a molehill here. It's pretty obvious that you'vr got your pride, sure, but seriously, it's not that hard to live and let live is it? Ignoring someone completely as a 'waste of your time' because they are able to offer criticisms of your logic? It's just not sound sense. I know Epona to be a thoughtful, fair and kind poster here on the forums. She was offering a sound critique of your views. Taking offence at that isn't going to accomplish much for you now is it? Buck up old chap. Believe it or not, we're not all out to get you [img]smile.gif[/img]
Old 12-20-2002, 08:05 AM   #37
Borvik
Drow Warrior

We're not all out to get him?? Hey, wait, that's not what I've been told in the briefing room!!

[ 12-20-2002, 08:06 AM: Message edited by: Borvik ]
Old 12-20-2002, 08:17 AM   #38
Grungi
Banned User

read her posts, they arent sound and saying im talking bollocks isnt nice, so unless shes going to actually bother putting well thought out arguments im going to ignore her from now on, no loss to her im sure and certainly doesnt bother me, im making no mountains, i dont care that much to be honest, i only come on here for a good argument [img]tongue.gif[/img] not a personal attack rest of the time im found in the forums of the games i actually play talking about them which is to be frank what im here for, in fact i may find it entertaining to start being deliberately condescending, generalised and a complete gimp just to annoy people all within the bounds of the rules [img]smile.gif[/img]

and seriously hierophant.... well um not seriously [img]smile.gif[/img] im not taking it either way, save for a good argument i couldnt care less, im just at work and bored so its a good place to come and vent [img]tongue.gif[/img] so from now on on general discussion consider me posting by proxy, the real me isnt about [img]tongue.gif[/img] and if you want helpful advice on a game then go to the forums of the games i play. Those with intelligent arguments i will happily continue discussions with, ie hierophant, cerek, magik and some others, to the rest of you? well kiss my bollocks [img]smile.gif[/img]
Old 12-20-2002, 08:18 AM   #39
Grungi
Banned User

woah total abuse of the smiley in my previous post [img]smile.gif[/img] i apologise in advance to any member of the society for the protection of smilies
Old 12-20-2002, 08:21 AM   #40
The Hierophant
Thoth - Egyptian God of Wisdom

Quote:

and seriously hierophant.... well um not seriously [img]smile.gif[/img] im not taking it either way, save for a good argument i couldnt care less, im just at work and bored so its a good place to come and vent [img]tongue.gif[/img] so from now on on general discussion consider me posting by proxy, the real me isnt about [img]tongue.gif[/img] and if you want helpful advice on a game then go to the forums of the games i play. Those with intelligent arguments i will happily continue discussions with, ie hierophant, cerek, magik and some others, to the rest of you? well kiss my bollocks [img]smile.gif[/img]
Well, ok man. You choose your own path in things...