Visit the Ironworks Gaming Website Email the Webmaster Graphics Library Rules and Regulations Help Support Ironworks Forum with a Donation to Keep us Online - We rely totally on Donations from members Donation goal Meter

Ironworks Gaming Radio

Ironworks Gaming Forum

Go Back   Ironworks Gaming Forum > Ironworks Gaming Forums > General Discussion > General Conversation Archives (11/2000 - 01/2005)
FAQ Calendar Arcade Today's Posts Search

Old 09-03-2002, 05:16 PM   #41
Dodo
Elite Waterdeep Guard

I've never really cared much for material posessions or temptations... "Don't hoard what seems good for a later time" (quote they put up around my school). I like living simple [img]smile.gif[/img] I don't think I've ever refused to give something away, and I figure it's a hell lot funner to run in the nude than with a new pair of jeans [img]graemlins/laugh.gif[/img]
Old 09-03-2002, 06:07 PM   #42
Tancred
White Dragon

I've lost sleep for the past six years over one girl, and I still do. In all honesty, though, I wouldn't be good for her. Besides, her actual boyfrend is a nice chap, and I bear no ill will toward him. Jealousy, perhaps, but no ill will. If he EVER steps out of line he's a dead man.
Old 09-03-2002, 06:29 PM   #43
Lifetime
Red Dragon

I'll only resist something when I absolutely cant have it and I know it. Otherwise, why waste sleep, why waste energy? Hell, if you like a girl, just go talk to her! If you want something bad, go buy it! Channel the energy into something useful rather than sitting around trying to resist it.
I resist when I'm stuck on a different continent and feel like playing with my PS2 which is stuck back home, or when I feel like meeting up with my girl. Thats it. Stuff thats impossible at current moment (though I'm going home in less than a week.. yipppee!!)
Truly the only things I bother to resist at all are things that I want, cant have, but dont want to lose sleep over. Everything else is fair game to me.
If you like a girl, but find out she's attached, hey either you stop thinking and dont bother resisting, or you give in and go in after her. You dont just sit on the fence and TRY not to think of someone, cause that just makes you think about that person even more. You dont sit there and moan about how you cant have someone and therefore cant sleep at night. You get off your arse and do something! The things we could do if we'd only give it a shot..

[ 09-03-2002, 06:31 PM: Message edited by: Lifetime ]
Old 09-03-2002, 06:34 PM   #44
Lifetime
Red Dragon

Quote:
Originally posted by Tancred:
I've lost sleep for the past six years over one girl, and I still do. In all honesty, though, I wouldn't be good for her. Besides, her actual boyfrend is a nice chap, and I bear no ill will toward him. Jealousy, perhaps, but no ill will. If he EVER steps out of line he's a dead man.
All's fair in love and war dude. Looks like you DO bear him ill will whatever you said, otherwise you'd be more forgiving of his shortcomings. If you've been losing sleep over someone for 6 years its obvious its serious enough to do something about it. Why burn all that energy and heartache yearning for someone for THAT long? Just go there and may the best man win! Or if that issint your style, forget her and quit wasting time over something like that.. thinking about it in your sleep for 6 years solves nothing.
Old 09-03-2002, 06:34 PM   #45
SomeGuy
Unicorn

Yea.I wanted the electricty to turn back on.Oh and a girl.And nope I did'nt resist the girl. But i'm happy with her.
\"I firmly believe that any man\'s finest hour, the greatest fulfillment of all that he holds dear, is the moment when he has worked his heart out in a good cause and lies exhausted on the field of battle - victorious.\"<br />-Vince Lombardi
Old 09-04-2002, 12:29 AM   #46
The Hierophant
Thoth - Egyptian God of Wisdom

[quote]Originally posted by ʆë®Ñï†Ý:
Quote:
I agree with you and Mel when it comes to things that involve a large amount of people. But when it concerns only 3 or 4 people and the issues involved do not cause ripples beyond, is there a greater good?

[img]smile.gif[/img] and I'd like to know. This is a really good moral code to live by, but how many would be able to sacrifice and sacrifice and sacrifice for the greater good? (Dying quickly doesn't count as I've always considered that the cheats way out).
Quote:
[/i][/b]
There is always a greater good. If there are only 3 or 4 people concerned (including one's self) then the greater good relates to the 2 or 3 others in the equation. I know this sounds like a lot of empty rhetoric but when we really dedicate ourselves to doing what is best for others above what is most desirable for ourselves then we find that life becomes so much simpler. You will struggle, you will fall on hard times, you will feel despair at how some others behave, but in the end it is the only real path to a peaceful community.

Sacrifice is made simpler when you honestly do it to help others. Not to recieve thanks and adulation for your sacrifice, not to show up the selfishness of others, not to relieve your own conscience. But to genuinely make life easier and happier for other people without the baggage of a self-interested agenda. It's hard, dear lord is it hard, but it's a path worth walking.

[ 09-04-2002, 12:34 AM: Message edited by: The Hierophant ]
Old 09-04-2002, 04:46 AM   #47
ʆë®Ñï†Ý
Zhentarim Guard

Quote:
Originally posted by Attalus:

Sorry, that big thump you heard was Galadria's (petite and shapely) foot being put down.
ooooooohhh ~disappointed~ well give Lady Galadria a hug from me anyways?

Quote:
Originally posted by Melusine:
I just said, didn't I? [img]smile.gif[/img]
If what I want will hurt people, I try to tell myself to let go. Usually works too, though not all the time unfortunately.
I meant.. if what you want will hurt somebody but if you don't take it'll also hurt somebody else. Everyone else's wants clashes with everybody elses.

Quote:
Originally posted by Lord Shield:
sounds like breaking wind
heehee hee [img]graemlins/hehe.gif[/img]

Quote:
Originally posted by Lord Shield:

seriously I will go with the "not if it hurts anyone else" usually too [img]smile.gif[/img] - some things take a lot more effort than I can do alone though
I don't think anyone would do something tht would hurt someone else. People aren't mean enough to want to hurt others on purpose. I sure don't want to.

What do you think of the saying "all's fair in love and war" then?
Old 09-04-2002, 05:04 AM   #48
ʆë®Ñï†Ý
Zhentarim Guard

Quote:
Originally posted by Dodo:
I've never really cared much for material posessions or temptations... "Don't hoard what seems good for a later time" (quote they put up around my school). I like living simple [img]smile.gif[/img] I don't think I've ever refused to give something away, and I figure it's a hell lot funner to run in the nude than with a new pair of jeans [img]graemlins/laugh.gif[/img]
ahhh, what if it isn't a material possesion? What if it's a feeling? say someone else's affection?

Quote:
Originally posted by Lifetime:
All's fair in love and war dude. Looks like you DO bear him ill will whatever you said, otherwise you'd be more forgiving of his shortcomings. If you've been losing sleep over someone for 6 years its obvious its serious enough to do something about it. Why burn all that energy and heartache yearning for someone for THAT long? Just go there and may the best man win! Or if that issint your style, forget her and quit wasting time over something like that.. thinking about it in your sleep for 6 years solves nothing.
so you wouldn't mind treading on someone else's toes to get what you want? What if the girl you want is your best friend's girlfriend and he loves her to bits?
Old 09-04-2002, 05:09 AM   #49
Donut
Jack Burton

Just remember ʆë®Ñï†Ý - three into two won't go.
[img]\"http://www.wheatsheaf.freeserve.co.uk/roastspurs.gif\" alt=\" - \" /> <br />Proud member of the Axis of Upheaval<br />Official Titterer of the Laughing Hyenas<br />Josiah Bartlet - the best President the US never had.<br />The 1st D in the D & D Show
Old 09-04-2002, 05:50 AM   #50
Vampire

Is anyone else a bit dizzy?