Visit the Ironworks Gaming Website Email the Webmaster Graphics Library Rules and Regulations Help Support Ironworks Forum with a Donation to Keep us Online - We rely totally on Donations from members Donation goal Meter

Ironworks Gaming Radio

Ironworks Gaming Forum

Go Back   Ironworks Gaming Forum > Ironworks Gaming Classics > Wizards & Warriors Forum
FAQ Calendar Arcade Today's Posts Search

Old 08-21-2001, 11:20 PM   #1
Lancelot2001ca
Elite Waterdeep Guard

I don't know why some people find this game so difficult, the most difficult part of the game is the doogre cave and the serpent temple, otherwise, it's pretty much child's play.

The doogre cave is difficult because of the lilies alone, not for any other reason.
The serpent temple is difficult because of the keys you need to open the "mouth" of the serpent to get into the final area, and the power of the high priestess is pretty awesome. I mean, she is much more dangerous than Cet in comparison with the level the characters are at those two respective points in the game.

Cet is a sissy, I standed in front of him, bashing him with the staff and the sword until he dies. VEry easy game if you ask me, almost as easy as the final fantasies (sucks a lot because of that.).

Three major bad things in this game:
1- Most important and obvious, the selection problems. It is incredibly long and sometimes hard and frustrating to select an item, object, creature or individual in the game.
2- The lack of diffuculty in the game. The game is too darn easy overall, I rate this game for either teens below 16 and people that doesn,t know what a role playing game is.
3- The last thing is that the game is unfinished and could have been worked on a lot more. It would have made it a bit better.

Overall, I give the game a 6/10, no more, no less. Because of the good music, the cute ending sequence, it is entertaining(even though the selection prob reduces the fun), and the sounds make it good (I like to strike vamps and nymphs. ). The everlasting dialogue of the non-player characters that we meet (especially in town), the selection problem, the lack of difficulty, the unfinished parts and being an unfinished game makes this game bad, the play control could be improved too. The graphics are ok, the voices are ok(could have put more into the game).

I really don,t understand what is so difficult in this game except for the two things I mentioned earlier. I have looked at my progression, now that I have finished the game, and find out that most things I asked on the forum were probably due to laziness, fatigue, or being tired of wasting more time picking up items than adventuring.

Hope the guys that made this game come out with a better, and most definitively, finished product. You don't sell a car when half the pieces are malfunctioning, a few of them are missing and thus doesn,t work properly.

Thanks you for your help you guys, I finished the game within 5 days, playing only in the evenings until around 11pm. I qualify this game for teens or younger, it's too darn easy.

Ciao
Lancelot2001ca is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2001, 11:29 PM   #2
Lancelot2001ca
Elite Waterdeep Guard

Oh, and I don't know why people use cheats in this game, it too darn easy, it probably makes it boring easy with cheats.

And I don,t see the point in raising a character beyond 25th level (I mean 25th level in last carreer) I think the max total levels of all the carreers of one of my characters was something between 40 and 45 levels, the last level being 10th valkyrie I think, the highest leveled character was a 24th level barbarian (He kicked ass and had lots of hps, the best in my group for hps).

I just uninstalled the game, I don't see any replayability other than trying the game with an elephant rogue or a boar mage in solo.(Forgot the names of the race, only see then at character creation and on the inventory screens, sorry.).

I saw something someone wrote in the forums saying that he raised his character to level 160 or 170 something without any cheats, boy! he/she hasn,t much to do in his/her life! Takes forever to raise levels after 20th.

Anyways, the forums and the Ironworks site is very good, I'll check the Baldur's gate 2 forums and site to see if I missed anything a month ago when I finished the game.

Adios
Old 08-22-2001, 10:02 AM   #3
Ryanamur
Fzoul Chembryl

Hi Lancelot,

Sorry you didn't like the game. I agree with you, the game would be better if "finished". However, I still like it. Hey, we're all entitled to our opinion.

FYI: Characters to level 150-160 is "normal" when you're playing in a single game. Don't forget that you climb 5x faster than in a group of 6. So right there, you can expect characters of about level 125 and higher. Past Brimloch, you gain level alot quicker.

If you ever decide to play the game again, hope you have fun with an Omphazz (elephant) rogue or a lizzard mage

Bye.

[This message has been edited by Ryanamur (edited 08-22-2001).]
Ryanamur is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2001, 12:28 PM   #4
the_young_one
Manshoon

I would defend this game and say that the designers met its objective of being "Classic Roleplaying at its best". Sure there were bugs and lots of things which could be improved, and playing the game without following the walkthrough and figuring out things for yourself makes the game much more fun..

I don't think the game was meant to be difficult and the game designers made sure that the game could be completed by everyone - for example, they deliberately put in plenty of heal potions, cure poison potions and easy to beat enemies around Valeia..The only real surprise, is the amazoni mantraps..

For me, the joy of the game was in developing the characters and watching them change and grow. Similarly I found completing all the side quests really fun, and I even hung around the Isle of Sands bashing up creatures to see how much damage I could deliver in one strike..

The joy is in the journey, not the destination..

the_young_one is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2001, 02:28 PM   #5
Sazerac
Ironworks Moderator

The game is definitely more "laid back" than others, and I've found that not everyone appeals to it. Interestingly enough, though, the BG2 crowd that have taken it up have found it to be an enjoyable alternative. It is quite a bit less frenetic than other games.

The points you bring up, Launcelot, are valid ones. They didn't irritate me as much as they did you, but the interface problems were significant, especially the irritating questgiver talk. A lot of the clunky interface problems were due to the fact that the game had been set up for multiplayer and then had the engine on it "yanked" by "Ackivision" at the last moment, with all stuff still hanging. Having to get a quest for each individual character rather than for the whole party is more of a MP thing. It didn't make much sense in a single player game.

Cet was a big disappointment, but I had enjoyed the game so much to that point that I didn't really care about that. I agree that the final boss should have put up FAR more of a fight than that. Elyssia, I agree, was by far a better mid-level "boss" with her hordes of invisible serpent priests and those devastating spells.

I've never experienced the selection problems, so that may have been an issue between the game and your particular hardware. I would say that the game is more finicky on hardware than a Windows HCL!

However, I never thought the game was "unfinished." The story line carried through all the way. Granted, there were areas they could have "fleshed out" more and certainly could have tweaked the interface, but I did not play through the game and feel a sense of something having been left out.

Do check out some of the other forums here. We're a friendly lot. I moderate the Wiz8 forum, should that game ever be released (oh please, oh please!!)

Cheers,
Sazerac
Sazerac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2001, 07:14 PM   #6
Lancelot2001ca
Elite Waterdeep Guard

The selection problem is when you try to grab something, or select an npc to talk or give something to him/her. Trying to grab a coin on the ground can take up to 10 min of real time!

The story is finished, but the game isn't, of course it's not like BG2 where lots of quests leads to nowhere. I mean there are things in this game that are missing or are incomplete, it needs to be worked on.

Although, I found the game quite entertaining, and for those who likes character boosting instead of real role playing games, I suggest you play diablo instead of W&W, at least there is a tiny goal, getting better equipment and skills to challenge other players.(If you can call that a goal.)Diablo (1 or 2, with or without exp.) is a real linear,character boosting, adventure (not rpg), simple, hack'n'slashin' game, don't need a big smart brain to play that. In comparison to real rpgs like Fallout and Elder scrolls series where you can do everything you want and almost when you want.

Like I said, W&W is a 6/10 for me, entertaining, but lacking in several areas.

I am really looking forward to the next elder scrolls.
I want to have the next Wizardry too, I got all of them, from first to last, even the gold. But Wizardry is pretty much linear, and I find that it is a game similar to final Fantasy, but with some challenge, which makes it much more interesting than the FFs. I remember the first game in the first Wizardy, I had a character who was so strong that he could go by himself in the dungeons. But I have changed, and dislike character boosting games now, that is why I like Elder's scroll and Fallout, you can finish the game without having a demi god as your character.

I really look forward to see these two new games, Wizardry 8 and Elder Scrolls: Morrowind.

Thanks for your comments.

Hope to see you guys on other forums, especially when the last two games finally comes out.

For now, I will try to get my hands on the Throne of Baal to go with my BG2, so I can make a new party with a really bitchy evil female assassin.

Ciao
Old 08-22-2001, 10:15 PM   #7
Moni

I happen to be in agreement with you as far as the game being "unfinished" and the re-playability factor. It most definitely could have had a lot more avenues and challenges.
It did not stop me from enjoying the first play through though and I found it hard at times. The last fight in the Snake Temple was IMO the best fight of the game. Cet was a bigger disappointment than I could have ever imagined.

Finding this forum where I met a lot of good souls to share adventures with and being able to assist others made it worth everything.

Welcome to Ironworks BTW!

If they ever release Wixardry 8 for the PC, I am sure our paths will cross in that forum. Right now, I hear it is to be released for PS2 in November. It will be a hard truth to bear if it never makes it out to the PC gamers market.
Your self adventuring Wizardry 1 character is impressive indeed!
That game was a toughie!