Visit the Ironworks Gaming Website Email the Webmaster Graphics Library Rules and Regulations Help Support Ironworks Forum with a Donation to Keep us Online - We rely totally on Donations from members Donation goal Meter

Ironworks Gaming Radio

Ironworks Gaming Forum

Go Back   Ironworks Gaming Forum > Ironworks Gaming Forums > General Discussion
FAQ Calendar Arcade Today's Posts Search

Old 06-20-2004, 04:27 PM   #1
Son of Osiris

RIAA Asks FCC to Lock Down Digital Radio Broadcasts
EFF, Brennan Center Argue Against Restrictions on Future Technologies

San Francisco, CA and New York, NY - If the Recording Industry Association of America (RIAA) gets its way, consumers will not be permitted to listen to digital radio broadcasts unless they use an industry-approved device. The RIAA is particularly hostile to any TiVo-like recording device for digital radio. Today, the Electronic Frontier Foundation (EFF) and the Brennan Center for Justice filed comments with the Federal Communications Commission (FCC) in an attempt to stop the RIAA's plan to regulate digital radio technologies of the future.

In a letter to the FCC, the RIAA argued that the commission should force broadcasters to encrypt their digital radio signals so that only approved devices can descramble and play digital broadcasts. This is only the latest chapter in a decades-long campaign by the RIAA to stop home recording of radio broadcasts. But as EFF and the Brennan Center point out in their comments, it is perfectly legal for people to make home recordings of radio broadcasts under current copyright laws.In essence, the RIAA is urging the FCC to override home recording rights guaranteed to the public by copyright law.

Marjorie Heins, founder of the Brennan Center's Free Expression Policy Project, said, "Having failed in their congressional efforts to restrict home taping, the recording industry is now asking the FCC to go beyond copyright law to interfere with the public's right to make recordings of radio broadcasts for home use. This would be a perversion of the FCC's role, and home recording poses no threat to corporate copyright interests that could conceivably justify it."

"The RIAA is trying to halt the development of next-generation digital technologies, like a Tivo for radio -- technologies that are perfectly legal under copyright law," said EFF Senior Staff Attorney Fred von Lohmann. "This is about restricting personal home taping off the radio, something that Congress has said is legal and that millions of Americans have been doing for decades."

----------------------------------------
I'm gonna go Berserk right now, okay? Put on your helmets and get your butts into the trenches.
Countdown to Berserker
In T Minus
2 and a half
(takes a really deep breath before it all comes out like a river)
I have had about ENOUGH of those two gangs! Someone has GOT to stop both of them! I don't care how it's done, I don't care when it's done, I don't care who has to die, I don't care what it costs, just get rid of these two corrupt organizations, damn it! Today the RIAA and FCC are just working on this, next thing you know, everyone's lining up for Vodka and Toilet Paper! People, I'm telling you: Crush the FCC!! Until they're gone, we'll NEVER know what peace is!
Old 06-20-2004, 04:41 PM   #2
philip
Galvatron

Stupid idea. At the stations I listen to bands pay to get their stuff heard. CD quality is better anyway so why would you start copying it from there especially since there's dozens of p2p-programs (which I don't use BTW, neither do I copy from those radio stations) around. And then you have to buy a new device/software to play it, yeah right.

Now we're at the subject the m$ copy protection is screwed as well. I thought it was a good idea to protect my original CDs by putting the option on when ripping. So first the license is like a cookie or something it gets deleted with temp files or something, backup of liicenses doesn't work properly and you can just download new licences without trouble. Way to go!
philip is offline   Reply With Quote