Visit the Ironworks Gaming Website Email the Webmaster Graphics Library Rules and Regulations Help Support Ironworks Forum with a Donation to Keep us Online - We rely totally on Donations from members Donation goal Meter

Ironworks Gaming Radio

Ironworks Gaming Forum

Go Back   Ironworks Gaming Forum > Ironworks Gaming Forums > General Discussion > General Conversation Archives (11/2000 - 01/2005)
FAQ Calendar Arcade Today's Posts Search

Old 03-07-2001, 11:36 AM   #101
Donut
Jack Burton

Donut recognises a kindred spirit and acknowedges The.Relic's smile with a tip of his cap. Honoured by the recognition from one so respected in this place, trusting that all is well in the region of Britteny.

------------------
The Truth is in the Profile
Old 03-07-2001, 11:50 AM   #102
Donut
Jack Burton

CB - you obviously didn't read my profile carefully

------------------
Old 03-07-2001, 01:02 PM   #103
Cloudbringer
Ironworks Moderator

Hmmmm, I re-checked that...but you know, without some more to go on....well you just can't be too careful when picking a dance instructor... Send your publicity photos and resume and I'll think about it! Gee, can BK come too? HAHAHAHHA

CB
Old 03-07-2001, 01:29 PM   #104
Ramon de Ramon y Ramon
Red Dragon

Thanks to everyone for the reading suggestions, especially to you, Cloudbooker !

Now, I don't mind mythology/religion in science fiction. They can add a great deal of depth to the portrayed cultures/societies. They can even play a prominentrole like the Fremen religion in Dune or in the interesting character of Major Kira in DS9 as beliefs can indeed move mountains. For me the line is the actual involvement of supernatural powers, because that destroys the notion that the events/scenarios described could eventually actually happen that way one day.And that notion, for me, is at the very bottom of the appeal of science fiction.

The other major characteristic of good true/pure science fiction is that it is more than just escapism, it serves also as a parable, mirroring the world/society as it is today by showing what could evolve from here and what is likely to stay the same (albeit maybe in a different disguise). At its best it can thus rise to almost philosophical heights and tell us something about the very essence of human beings and therefore human society.

This second area is where Star Trek - TNG really excelled, by TV standards and in the best episodes, and where the Dune series fails miserably due to the anachronistic and even eclecticistic nature of the whole universe and its society. The strong point of Dune is the description of the Fremen and the way their whole society, culture and belief system is shaped by the need of adaptation to living in extreme environmental conditions.

------------------
So long !

R³ - Co-president(s) of the Club of Broken Hearts
Old 03-07-2001, 01:38 PM   #105
Gabriel
Emerald Dragon

did anyone here watch B5?

------------------

Co-president of the Club of Broken Hearts
Old 03-07-2001, 06:23 PM   #106
bilqis
Symbol of Cyric

Gabriel: I loved B5 and was so sad when it ended. It wasn't perfect, but it was very fun and interesting.

Ramon: One of the exciting aspects of Dune, and particularly Arakis & the fremen, was the many references to Arabic & Arab culture. I had spent a couple years in Yemen, so I was able to put those references into context. They made sense to me. It's perhaps why I read it so many times. Plus I LOVE long books. If the story is good, I want to stay there as long as possible.

------------------

Having abandoned my search for truth, I am now looking for a good Fantasy.
Old 03-07-2001, 09:01 PM   #107
Donut
Jack Burton

CB - I'd love to oblige with a photo but (and this is the HONEST truth) I am a vampire and my image doesn't show on a photograph.

Back to topic. my favourite films are (defined by those which I will watch again and again:

casablanca
zulu
star wars
groundhog day
field of dreams

TV - which I define as current programmes that I will set the video to record:

ER
NYPD Blue
The Bill (probably UK only)
Match of the Day (Definitely UK only)
West Wing
Voyager
SG1

Past TV programmes

Hill Street Blues
Red Dwarf
Monty Python
Soap

I was impressed by the number of British TV programmes now on US TV. It was not always so. The first time I went to Miami I turned the TV on in my motel room to see an episode of Eastenders (the one where Dirty Den shags Michelle behind the bar). Nothing unusual there, but the programme was in English with English subtitles. Do we really speak so different?

------------------
Old 03-07-2001, 09:41 PM   #108
Ramon de Ramon y Ramon
Red Dragon

Bilqis, you have lived a couple of years in Yemen ? Sounds fascinating. Would you care to tell us/me about it ? I would be for sure very interested, others might be as well. You know how you came to go there, how it felt to live there as a foreigner, especially as a woman ? What amazed, bedazzeled you ? What you liked/disliked ? Just to give some ideas.

------------------
So long !

R³ - Co-president(s) of the Club of Broken Hearts
Old 03-08-2001, 02:52 PM   #109
Ziroc

Oh yeah, Braveheart and Gladiator! to TOTALLY awesome movies-- Own both on DVD, also Patriot is ok Also Goodfellas and the first Godfather movie!

Ziroc

Old 03-08-2001, 05:46 PM   #110
The.Relic
Red Dragon

surprised at being noticed, and feeling altogether unworthy of such high regard removes his battered helm. Lifting his mug of ale in his scarred right hand, nodding in salute to Donut.