Visit the Ironworks Gaming Website Email the Webmaster Graphics Library Rules and Regulations Help Support Ironworks Forum with a Donation to Keep us Online - We rely totally on Donations from members Donation goal Meter

Ironworks Gaming Radio

Ironworks Gaming Forum

Go Back   Ironworks Gaming Forum > Ironworks Gaming Classics > Icewind Dale | Heart of Winter | Icewind Dale II Forum
FAQ Calendar Arcade Today's Posts Search

Old 09-17-2003, 02:56 PM   #1
NobleNick
Quintesson

~
(HoW spoiler, below)
~
~
~
~
~
~
~
~
~
~
~
~

I got this most excellent necklace off of the dead Hosttower (sp?) posse that came gunning for the Innkeeper: A Barrier Necklace. It simultaneously casts stoneskin and minor globe of invulnerability on my mage. NEAT!

The first time I used it, there was no problem; but when I used it for the first time from a saved game (saved before first ever use) the necklace disappears after casting the spells. There is nothing in the item description about limited usage. I reloaded three times with the same results. Is this a bug, or is there a high probability that the necklace is lost after casting?

What's a party,
without a song?
Bards ROCK!
Party on!!
NobleNick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2003, 03:05 PM   #2
pritchke
Bastet - Egyptian Cat Goddess

I believe you should allow you to do this once per day. However I can't remember, maybe it is only good for one use.

How did you find that battle. I felt it was one of the toughest battles in HoW. I was totally unprepared the first time I left the hotel and the posse came. It was a Great tactical battle.

By the way NobleNik reload from this point and give up the inn keeper and see what happens. The inn keeper can take care of himself although he will be ticked!! Then go back to your original game.

[ 09-17-2003, 03:07 PM: Message edited by: pritchke ]
pritchke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2003, 03:11 PM   #3
NobleNick
Quintesson

Exclamation

O.K., nevermind, I just found out, from surfing the hint sites, that this amulet has only three charges. That main mage must have used it twice before I got it? But wait, I remember it NOT disappearing after the first time I used it....

What's a party,
without a song?
Bards ROCK!
Party on!!
Old 09-17-2003, 03:55 PM   #4
Roboghost
Manshoon

As long as you don't use the last charge, I think you can sell these "charged" items back to the store folk for a "re-charge". Just keep your eye on the charges, otherwise some items may vanish when you use their last charge.
Roboghost is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2003, 08:38 AM   #5
NobleNick
Quintesson

Thanks Roboghost, I'll try that!

Pritchke, Heh, heh, heh, yeah, I know; because...
~
(minor spoiler coming)
~
~
~
~
~
~
~
~

I made a mistake the first time, trying to be helpful to a stranger, and gave up Kiernan at the first opportunity. When the posse Dimension Door'ed in I remembered my earlier conversation with Kiernan, slapped my forehead and said, "Duh!" and then sat back and watched the fireworks. It was fun; but I reloaded, because I was sure that there was a boat load of expo to be had by doing this the right way!

My party broke a sweat, to be sure; but I did not find this battle challenging. I did not buff the party before exiting the Inn on the reload. One fighter-type panicked; but I finished the clash with all members standing and in reasonable health. (The worst case was a fighter/thief, down to about 50 out of 150 HP.) It may have been a bit harder if the posse's rogue hadn't gone berserk and killed off their own junior mage. Oh, and let's not forget their main fighter, who got toasted with Shroud of Flame by SOMEONE who was not in my party (the senior mage?). Seems like the AI was a bit lacking in this encounter....

What's a party,
without a song?
Bards ROCK!
Party on!!
Old 09-19-2003, 08:37 AM   #6
Lymond
Manshoon

I think I missed something.

I gave Kiernan up, but the bad guys ran into the bar and I only saw one guy come back out. Is that it, or does another option let you view the battle?

Lymond
Old 09-19-2003, 10:48 AM   #7
NobleNick
Quintesson

Lymond,

No, you've got it right: you are forced to stay outside; but you do see the one guy come out toasted, and you do get to hear a lot. I would have thought it a thoroughly enjoyable show if it hadn't reminded me so much that I had screwed up.

Roboghost, you are correct: I sold the amulet (2 charges left) in Lonelywood for about 2,000 and bought it back for 4,500. It was fully charged. Did the same in TotLM: about 1,000 with 1 charge and bought it back for about 4,000 fully charged. Looks like it costs about 1,500 per use, and only 2 uses allowed per recharge (because using the last of the 3 charges makes it disappear).

What's a party,
without a song?
Bards ROCK!
Party on!!
Old 09-20-2003, 11:40 AM   #8
moiraine sedai
Zhentarim Guard

The tactic of selling charged items to storekeeps to recharge is quite a common bug in several games. Makes for some nice exploitation.

I suppose at least it does cost you something to get it recharged...

Moiraine Sedai
Old 09-23-2003, 09:20 AM   #9
NobleNick
Quintesson

Moiraine Sedai,

Hmm... Never thought that this was anything other than intended gameplay. Besides, any programmer worth his salt will tell you that things like this are never bugs... They're features!

What's a party,
without a song?
Bards ROCK!
Party on!!

[ 09-23-2003, 09:21 AM: Message edited by: NobleNick ]
Old 09-28-2003, 09:34 AM   #10
moiraine sedai
Zhentarim Guard

Quote:
Originally posted by NobleNick:
Moiraine Sedai,

Hmm... Never thought that this was anything other than intended gameplay. Besides, any programmer worth his salt will tell you that things like this are never bugs... They're features!
Hahahahahahahaha!

Nice features that were not necessarily meant to be exploited then...

Better?

Moiraine Sedai