Visit the Ironworks Gaming Website Email the Webmaster Graphics Library Rules and Regulations Help Support Ironworks Forum with a Donation to Keep us Online - We rely totally on Donations from members Donation goal Meter

Ironworks Gaming Radio

Ironworks Gaming Forum

Go Back   Ironworks Gaming Forum > Ironworks Gaming Forums > General Discussion
FAQ Calendar Arcade Today's Posts Search

Old 01-27-2007, 11:58 AM   #1
Memnoch
Ironworks Moderator

I'm getting really sick of Windows.

I don't know when or how this happened, but I noticed yesterday that I wasn't able to download from the web. On checking my My Downloads folder I noticed that the attribute had changed to "Read Only". I changed this back but decided to check my other folders - and EVERY SINGLE folder I have has had the attribute changed to read-only. I'm guessing this was a virus of some kind, but I haven't picked anything up with Norton AntiVirus.

I've changed my main folders back to non-read-only, but am now trying to work out the best way to change them back to before. I tried to Sys Restore to last week, but it wasn't able to do so (and I don't have any more restore points aside from that one).

I suppose the quickest way would be to go to all my root folders and change them back to non-read-only (which would do the same to all the subfolders) but I'm worried that I might inadvertently change the attributes of read-only system folders as well.

Any advice??

Memnoch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2007, 12:13 PM   #2
Bozos of Bones
Apophis

When in doubt, Restore System.
When in even more doubt and distress, Reinstall.
I've no idea how this happened.
Old 01-27-2007, 12:25 PM   #3
PurpleXVI
Emerald Dragon

Get the hell away from Norton Antivirus, upgrade to Avast! or AntiVir Guard(Both free.) far more effective pieces of software.

That's all I can suggest.

I'd just go for the Non-Read-Only on everything, personally. Worst comes to worst it'll just be an OS reinstall, make sure to back stuff up.
PurpleXVI is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2007, 02:12 PM   #4
Felix The Assassin
The Dreadnoks

Why not M$~CP~Folder-Options~Click Defaults~View~Click Defaults~Exit.
Then back again and custom set options to your preference.

If you are protected, which you are by one of the best, no worry on the system folders. Unless of course you do things that should not be discussed here.

What anti-spy ware do you use. This is more than likely your culprit!

Not sure why anybody would suggest that you not use one of the most irreproachable programs in the anti-v market, then suggest that you use a freeware program. [img]graemlins/1ponder.gif[/img]

Let every nation know, whether it wishes us well or ill, that we shall pay any price, bear any burden, meet any hardship, support any friend, oppose any foe to assure the survival and the success of liberty.

John F. Kennedy
35th President of The United States

The Last Shot

Honor The Fallen

Jesus died for our sins, and American Soldiers died for our freedom.

If you don't stand behind our Soldiers, please feel free to stand in front of them.
Felix The Assassin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2007, 02:18 PM   #5
PurpleXVI
Emerald Dragon

I don't trust programs that leave remnants on my computer to prevent it's competitors from being installed after I uninstall it.

Not to mention that AVG caught several things on my computer that Norton never spotted.
Old 01-27-2007, 03:36 PM   #6
Bozos of Bones
Apophis

Felix, Felix... the best things in life are free.
Compared to AVG, Norton sucks big time. Avast! and AVG are by far the best(maybe Anti-Vir too, haven't tried that one in a long time) on the free market, and there's absolutely no need to pay for anthing, unless you are paying for NOD32, which is best overall. Norton just doesn't cut it, it's only selling points are hype and muscle advertisement.
Old 01-27-2007, 04:13 PM   #7
PurpleXVI
Emerald Dragon

Er, aren't Anti-Vir Guard and AVG the same thing?
Old 01-27-2007, 04:29 PM   #8
Felix The Assassin
The Dreadnoks

Quote:
Originally posted by Bozos of Bones:
Felix, Felix... the best things in life are free.
Compared to AVG, Norton sucks big time. Avast! and AVG are by far the best(maybe Anti-Vir too, haven't tried that one in a long time) on the free market, and there's absolutely no need to pay for anthing, unless you are paying for NOD32, which is best overall. Norton just doesn't cut it, it's only selling points are hype and muscle advertisement.
Must remember that people here are not as the people elsewhere.

The spousal unit's Dell, which is the M$ system, and does the online banking, taxes, etc.. has all the M$, and other high end software on it. It always evades me that what we have, and the general public has, are two different entities.

You are obviously referring to plain wrapper Norton. I'm referring to Symantec CE 10. Two complete different species from the same DNA.

Yes of course, a plain wrapper AVG would perform for the home user better than a plain wrapper Norton. My apologies.
[img]graemlins/drinkup.gif[/img]

[ 01-27-2007, 04:39 PM: Message edited by: Felix The Assassin ]

Let every nation know, whether it wishes us well or ill, that we shall pay any price, bear any burden, meet any hardship, support any friend, oppose any foe to assure the survival and the success of liberty.

John F. Kennedy

The Last Shot

Honor The Fallen

If you don't stand behind our Soldiers, please feel free to stand in front of them.
Old 01-27-2007, 04:34 PM   #9
PurpleXVI
Emerald Dragon

Like I said, even if they offered me a ten-million-dollar piece of software that NASA and the Pentagon swore by, I'd still tell them to stuff it.

Their software intentionally leaves fragments to foul up competitors' software after you uninstall it. That's just not right. Either it's intentional and they're giant dickholes or it's unintentional and they're incompetent monkeys.
Old 01-27-2007, 04:43 PM   #10
Felix The Assassin
The Dreadnoks

Quote:
Originally posted by PurpleXVI:
Like I said, even if they offered me a ten-million-dollar piece of software that NASA and the Pentagon swore by, I'd still tell them to stuff it.

Their software intentionally leaves fragments to foul up competitors' software after you uninstall it. That's just not right. Either it's intentional and they're giant dickholes or it's unintentional and they're incompetent monkeys.
Amen Brother! Can I get a hallelujah to boot?

Speaking of a boot, can I send you a Linux OS system CD? Then you will have no iffing worries about software, corporate corruption, and minor traces left over in the registry that are easy enough to remove from the keyboard.

John F. Kennedy

The Last Shot

Honor The Fallen