Visit the Ironworks Gaming Website Email the Webmaster Graphics Library Rules and Regulations Help Support Ironworks Forum with a Donation to Keep us Online - We rely totally on Donations from members Donation goal Meter

Ironworks Gaming Radio

Ironworks Gaming Forum

Go Back   Ironworks Gaming Forum > Ironworks Gaming Forums > Baldurs Gate II: Shadows of Amn & Throne of Bhaal
FAQ Calendar Arcade Today's Posts Search

Old 03-31-2003, 12:19 PM   #1
Tyrion
Quintesson

Ok, here's the deal, I'm starting my first Kensai/Mage and I just want to know which weapons that are good Dual Wield comobs...
I mean both for SoA and ToB, by the way.

It would be nice to have some tips about who to take in my party, (good aligned), too!
Old 03-31-2003, 12:32 PM   #2
Annatar
Mephistopheles

Dual Katana's when playing Kensai-->Mage (if you have tactics installed... then this choose will pay off eventually)

Weapons that come in mind are:
- Celestial Fury +3 (+5 with Imp. Items Mod, Upgrade)
- Malakar +2
- Dak'kon's Zerth Blade +2
- Sanchuuduko +4 (Tactics)
- Hindo's Doom +4 (ToB)

Worth the pick if you ask me, if you have the Forgotten Wars Item Pack installed then I will also recommend the Rainbow Katana +5.

Kensai/Mage is a powerfull combination... don't know what kind of team you'll need, I'm currently soloing a Kensai/Mage that really doesn't need a party to back him up . [img]smile.gif[/img]

[ 03-31-2003, 12:56 PM: Message edited by: Annatar ]
Old 03-31-2003, 12:35 PM   #3
Kaltia
Jack Burton

Sanchuudadko and Celestial Fury+5 are cheesebombs and sooooooooo much fun [img]smile.gif[/img] Both are katanas, by the way [img]smile.gif[/img]

The wolf is as cunning as he is ferocious; once he's had a taste of flesh then nothing else will do.
Kaltia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2003, 03:11 PM   #4
Dace De'Briago
Silver Dragon

Yeah, they are my favourites

BUT... In this particular game, Kuroisan appeared once shortly after I got Celestial Fury, and ran away from the fight saying he'd be back.

That was weeks ago in game time, and I *really* want the Acid Katana. Anybody have any idea how long this will actually take?
Old 03-31-2003, 03:16 PM   #5
Kaltia
Jack Burton

Hmmm...he never said that for me

The wolf is as cunning as he is ferocious; once he's had a taste of flesh then nothing else will do.
Kaltia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2003, 01:36 PM   #6
SixOfSpades
Dracolisk

Quote:
Originally posted by Kaltia:
Sanchuudadko and Celestial Fury+5 are cheesebombs and sooooooooo much fun [img]smile.gif[/img]
Why do so many people point fingers at the CF+5 as being cheesy, when all it did was upgrade the enchantment on the CF+3? (Although, personally, I don't agree with enchanted weapons having lower Speed Factors. A Katana with a Speed Factor of 0 automatically makes things like Daggers and Short Swords obsolete.)
Old 04-01-2003, 02:08 PM   #7
Rataxes
Symbol of Cyric

A few other good options

Long Swords
  • Early on, Sword of Balduran +2 (10% MR) and Blade of Roses +3. Both of them can be bought pretty much the moment you get out of Irenicus dungeon.
  • Later on, you can choose between three excellent swords. The Answerer +4, which is perfect for Fighter/Mages since it lowers the targets MR by 25% on each hit, also lowers the targets AC by 2 per hit, which is certainly not bad either. Angurvadal +5, which gives you NPP, sets your STR to 22 and deals some pretty wicked damage to boot. And finally Blackrazor +3, which is IMHO one of the most powerful swords in the game. 15% chance on each hit of Draining the target of 4 levels (extremely powerful), hasting and strengthening you for 20 secs, as well as healing 20 HP. Not only that, but it also has regen and gives you immunity to Fear and Charm.
Flails
  • Defender of Easthaven +3 for 20% Phys Res and the Flail of Ages all the way. Very powerful combo.
Bastard Swords
  • You're quite limited early on to be honest. You'll be stuck with a plain Bastard Sword +1 until the Underdark (unless you go WK early and pick up Foebane/Purifier +3), where you can get the decent Jhor the Bleeder +2 and the good Blade of Searing +3.
  • Things get fun later on though, the combo of Foebane +5 and Purifier +5 is as great as they come. Foebane casts Larloch's Minor Drain on each hit, which will not only heal you 4 HP per hit and deal extra magic damage, but also increase your maximum life by 4 per hit. The Purifier gives you a massive +30% MR Bonus.

[ 04-01-2003, 02:14 PM: Message edited by: Rataxes ]
Old 04-01-2003, 02:36 PM   #8
SixOfSpades
Dracolisk

Quote:
Originally posted by Rataxes:
The Answerer +4....lowers the targets MR by 25% on each hit, also lowers the targets AC by 2 per hit, which is certainly not bad either.
It's actually only 15%, IIRC.

I happen to think the Answerer is overrated, as its effects wear off so quickly. Try hitting one of your own party members with it--the "Magic Resistance Lowered" icon vanishes within 2 rounds. I'd prefer a weapon that doesn't lower the MR as much, but it stays lowered for a longer period--giving my spellcasters more opportinity to strike, which is what the weapon was about in the first place.
Old 04-01-2003, 03:10 PM   #9
Rataxes
Symbol of Cyric

Quote:
Originally posted by SixOfSpades:
Quote:
Originally posted by Rataxes:
The Answerer +4....lowers the targets MR by 25% on each hit, also lowers the targets AC by 2 per hit, which is certainly not bad either.
It's actually only 15%, IIRC.

I happen to think the Answerer is overrated, as its effects wear off so quickly. Try hitting one of your own party members with it--the "Magic Resistance Lowered" icon vanishes within 2 rounds. I'd prefer a weapon that doesn't lower the MR as much, but it stays lowered for a longer period--giving my spellcasters more opportinity to strike, which is what the weapon was about in the first place.
[/QUOTE]15% it is, must've mixed it up with Sanchuudoku The short duration never really bothered me though. If you can get an Adamantite golem's MR down to 0% for 2 rounds, that's more than enough when you 2-3 spellcasters ready to unleash a barrage of Magic Missiles. And since you're most likely going to keep hitting the target till he's dead (in this case, only occasionally stopping very briefly to cast a spell), the reductions will constantly be renewed as the old reductions will instantly be replaced by new ones when they wear off.

[ 04-01-2003, 03:12 PM: Message edited by: Rataxes ]