Visit the Ironworks Gaming Website Email the Webmaster Graphics Library Rules and Regulations Help Support Ironworks Forum with a Donation to Keep us Online - We rely totally on Donations from members Donation goal Meter

Ironworks Gaming Radio

Ironworks Gaming Forum

Go Back   Ironworks Gaming Forum > Ironworks Gaming Forums > Miscellaneous Games (RPG or not)
FAQ Calendar Arcade Today's Posts Search

Old 06-04-2002, 08:43 AM   #1
Alenkii Cvetocek
Elite Waterdeep Guard

Hello,

I am deciding if I want to buy this game. I have recently been enjoying Wizardry 8, but would like to try something new. My initial impressions from reading this board is that Morrowind is beautiful and huge, but there may be some gameplay issues. In particular, I am curious to know if combat is an annoying clickfest in this game, or if there are many "keyboard dexterity" sorts of things that one must do. It would be a big turn-off for me!

Any comments you have are appreciated.

Thanks,

AC
Alenkii Cvetocek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2002, 09:02 AM   #2
Kakero
40th Level Warrior

If you don't like clickfest, then this game could be a disappointment for you. however, since there's a lot of things to do in this game ( talking to people, running from places to places, swimming, flying, staring at the sky, etc etc ). you won't feel like you have been clicking a lot.
Kakero is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2002, 09:17 AM   #3
[wcip]Angel
Zhentarim Guard

I don't know what to say besides:

I finished Wiz8 start to finish 3 times, and I really enjoyed it.

Morrowind, on the other hand, I (almost) love.. It lacks in character depth.. who's the bad guy, who's the good guy? If it had the depth of.. say Metal gear solid.. it would be legendary..

The game is very entertaining and it's fun to play, but sadly it's not of those legendary games you'll be talking about to your grandchildren in 50 years. Those conversations are reserved for Deus Ex and Metal Gear Solid
[wcip]Angel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2002, 10:12 AM   #4
WOLFGIR
Bastet - Egyptian Cat Goddess

Metal gear has a solid depth with their characters??

We have to have played two different games hehe

Tried I think it was Wizardry and got annoyed with the nauseating feeling with everything twisting and twirling to track enemies, and the party standing on the same spot more or less..

Morrowind is like a hmm.. Deus X without the redline throughout the game. A very open game style that lets you take almost total control over your character and develope what you want. Nice big game and the steering is pretty good. Lacks some descriptions though of what you can do with spells and ingedients which can be annoying actually. Also demeands an update bonanza on drives etc..

Is it worth it?
For the money you spend, you get alot of game and it is truelly worth it. Iīm no big fan of 3D RPGīs but this one is actually very fun and nice!

Well which game isnīt a clickfest? The battles is a hold for power, arrow keys to decide which type of attack and ome moment. Easy to learn and itīs no Diablo, one or two opponents simultanious can be very messy so tact is to be excersised

Donīt eat the yellow snow
WOLFGIR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2002, 10:32 AM   #5
Saltheart Foamfollower
Manshoon

I really do not see too much different between Wiz 8 and Morrowind, besides the open plot line of Morrowind.

Both games have you running around doing errands and quests. Both have large gameplay areas... Both are 3d Rpg's... Both have clickfests for combat...

Granted, Wiz 8 has better spell effects, and NPC's that join your character in these quests, and Morrowind is a solo character with very limited NPC party interaction...

Back to the original question. If you enjoyed Wiz 8, you should enjoy Morrowind. Granted, there are a few gameplay problems, basically with fast leveling up, but with the mods and the constructuion set being available to the gaming community, this should and is already being taken care of by gamers creating mods that slow down the leveling scheme, and makes creatures a bit more stronger...

I finished Wiz 8 a couple of times, and it was the same each time (in linearity) and I believe Morrowind will have more added value to game play, due to the construction set and mod developement...

I have been playing crpg's for years now, and I find there is no need to compare last years hits to this years hits. Hell, look at the Diableo compared to Dungeon Seige compared to Throne of Darkness debate. Each has there own ups and downs, and debate over which is better that the other...

Bottom line, if you enjoy crpg's, Morrowind should appeal to you...
Old 06-04-2002, 01:27 PM   #6
DraconisRex

Hmmm....

Let's see, I've played all of the games previously listed by posters, EXCEPT FOR METAL GEAR SOLID, along with much of the MoM series, various Lands of Lore, the Krondor's, the BG series, the Fallout series to date, PoR-RoMD, some of the GOLD BOX D&D games, Dungeon Siege, Arcanum, Diablo I & II, System Shock 2, and I'll be buggered if I can remember any that I've left out, but I've been playing CRPGs since the late 80's...

Of all of them, this is the CRPG best I've ever played. It's not a PERFECT game. But...

1. Only Fallout2 and Arcanum have been close to this open-ended.
2. Only Fallout2 and Arcanum have had this depth of character
development.
3. Wizardry 8 wins on PARTY development, but it's a different type
of game so it's not a real comparison.
4. Only Dungeon Siege has come anywhere close to this 3D view-fest.
5. System Shock was the MOST TERRIFYING game I've ever played. White
-knuckle time... Morrowind falls short of the impending sense of
doom generated by SS2 but beats it in every other area.
6. Only Arcanum and the first Krondor game really came close to this
complex a story.

What could be improved? Difficulty settings would have been nice. Higher flee numbers for creatures and NPCs. Less "sticking" and "clipping." Combat is somewhat rudimentary when compared to some other games. More NPC faces and voices... And a $5.00 price tag...

Overall, it's been worth every penny. If I'd have spent this much on entertainment, say @ $8.00 a movie ticket, I'd be into $400 of movie time, not including refreshments.

Nor would I have to have watched CLUNKERS like "Spirt: Stallion of the Cimmarron." Of course, I HAD to watch that with my littlest... It's so five-year-old girl... ::SIGH::
Quantum materiae materietur marmota monax si marmota monax materiam possit materiari?<br /><br />Vah! Denuone Latine loquebar? Me ineptum. Interdum modo elabitur.<br /><br />Di! Ecce hora! Uxor mea me necabit!
DraconisRex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2002, 08:08 PM   #7
skywalker
Banned User

Well you're comparing apples with oranges. I liked Wiz8 and I like Morrowind...but they are pretty much 2 different animals.

Mark
skywalker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2002, 07:38 AM   #8
Lady Avalon
Emerald Dragon

I enjoyed Wiz8, but I don't think it compares with Morrowind. Morrowind is so much more in depth and there are so many more quests to do. In fact, there is more to this game than just fighting. You have to get your skills up and there are many and you are pretty much on your own in deciding which direction you want the game to go. Morrowind will last more than 100 hours, at least with me. I think it's one of the best games I've played recently.