Visit the Ironworks Gaming Website Email the Webmaster Graphics Library Rules and Regulations Help Support Ironworks Forum with a Donation to Keep us Online - We rely totally on Donations from members Donation goal Meter

Ironworks Gaming Radio

Ironworks Gaming Forum

Go Back   Ironworks Gaming Forum > Ironworks Gaming Forums > Miscellaneous Games (RPG or not)
FAQ Calendar Arcade Today's Posts Search

Old 03-26-2007, 06:42 PM   #11
SpiritWarrior
Jack Burton

Wow, I didn't think of this and was reminded by that GW thread in general.

The free play element. They will actually pull the plug on the servers since it's free to play. In my head I was just thinking like Eq1 and Eq2. So, while it isn't for another year or more, anyone who decides they don't like GW2 cannot go back and play GW1. So they won't even have limited servers? Just that's it, GW1 is gone even if you bought 3 games for it? Kinda blah.
Old 03-26-2007, 07:19 PM   #12
T-D-C
Ironworks Moderator

Not at all. Gaile Gray (Community Relations manager - Anet), Alex Weeks and many of the other Devs has stated on many occassions that the GW1 servers will still be up and running when GW2 is released. They will still be running well into Gw2's release.

Put it this way NcSoft & Anet are still runiing servers for Auto Assulet for gods sake so I don't see them taking down the servers for GW1 any time soon.
Old 03-26-2007, 08:11 PM   #13
SpiritWarrior
Jack Burton

So is this rumor or did I misunderstand?
Old 03-26-2007, 09:47 PM   #14
T-D-C
Ironworks Moderator

Must ahve been a mis read as I havn't seen anywhere where Anet say they are shutting down the GW1 servers.

People do tend to overreact and the info posted by Elfbane in the general thread was incorrect about the servers shutting down
Old 03-26-2007, 10:45 PM   #15
SpiritWarrior
Jack Burton

I think some of the gaming media is to blame too. Headlines like "GW campaigns cancelled" in big bright red fonts don't help.

They make one immediately assume Anet have pulled the plug, until you actually get in there and find the real story. Problem is, seeing magazines like this in stores with those words on the cover may be all some of us glimpse at, as we pass by. I originally saw it on one of the IGN forums, in a link someone posted and so I guess everyone (me included) assumed the worst.

So, GW1 will continue on exactly as it is with zero changes to the servers etc. even after GW2 goes live?
Old 03-26-2007, 11:38 PM   #16
PurpleXVI
Emerald Dragon

Yes, that is what they say. The only changes may be periodic updates, bugfixes, minor balance changes, etc.

They say they'll keep support staff and such around for GW1.
PurpleXVI is offline   Reply With Quote