Visit the Ironworks Gaming Website Email the Webmaster Graphics Library Rules and Regulations Help Support Ironworks Forum with a Donation to Keep us Online - We rely totally on Donations from members Donation goal Meter

Ironworks Gaming Radio

Ironworks Gaming Forum

Go Back   Ironworks Gaming Forum > Ironworks Gaming Classics > Wizards & Warriors Forum
FAQ Calendar Arcade Today's Posts Search

Old 05-08-2003, 05:59 AM   #1
Misanthrop
Elite Waterdeep Guard

Hail to all Wizards & Warriors of you,

i am from germany and my english is not that good, but i try to explain it as good as i can.
I am a RPG-Fanatic! I love the game in the old style like Wizardry I - VII but also VIII is
very good i think. But even with better graphics, i think a lot of atmosphere is gone in the
new kind of RPG. But thats another theme... lets get to Wizards and Warriors! Has someone
of you a complete list of all monsters in this game? I used to play it more than one time to
the end and i met every different monsters which i never met before like the Crust Qween in
the Dragons Cave or a new kind of Super-Spider near an island to the Lost Sea which used to
breathe poison and fire! Also in the Ruins of Shurugeon castle i met a monster which i never
saw before, it was the Bone Ranger... yes not the Bone Archer, it was quite the Ranger which
was very powerful compared to the other monsters in this dungeon. Please tell me if you meet
new monsters which are very seldom. The next thing i have to say is that the game is a lot more
easier if you play it with less then 6 characters. My actually one character is a level 76(!)
Assasin and nearly unbeatable. But thats a problem i think. It doesn´t take much time to make
a single super character because when you kill monsters you get six time more experience points
as with a whole party. If you kill in the beginning a Giant Tree Spider you are nearly at level
3 - 4! Only the beginning is tough when you play it so, but when you level up it gets too simple.
Does somebody has an idea how to make the game a much more difficult than it is? I mean not
to set the difficulty settings on hard... that´s quite to simple i think. I mean something like
in Wizardry 8 the Iron Man (or Game) Mode. That would a pretty challenge... i love hard fights.

Ok, thanks in advice and wait the time til W & W II comes out!
Misanthrop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2003, 08:44 AM   #2
Wyvern
Ironworks Moderator

Welcome to the board, Misanthrop!!! Guten Tag!!!

Your english is very good! Far better than what I might be able to cobble together if I tried to remember my high school German class!

We've had quite a few players set various challenges for themselves in replaying the game to increase the difficulty level. Some have used strict rules about what they could or could not do in developing their characters. You might be able to find some of these threads by searching on "solo" but since some of these players are still active on the board, I'm sure they'll post some tips/ideas soon.

It does seem to me that there has been so much more emphasis on graphics and other computer bells and whistles that some of the excellent fun that was present in earlier and cruder CRPGs has gone missing. I've found myself far less "involved" in the more recent Computer RPGs than I was 10 and 15 years ago. W&W has been one very happy exception to that trend.

As for monsters - I never bothered to keep a list of what monsters I met in the game. I have a copy of the "Tome of Misinformation" (otherwise known as the official strategy guide) which lists all (?) the monsters in the back which I presumed to be close enough to the truth. We do have a thread going gathering the names of unique creatures in W&W but I think you were looking for monsters that are unusual but not necessarily one of a kind. One of our early posters put together a beastiary which was online but none of the links I had to access it seem to work any longer so it would appear to no longer be available. I'll search around and see if I can find it.

Wyv
Wyvern is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2003, 10:08 AM   #3
WillowIX
Apophis

Welcome to the board Misanthrop. [img]graemlins/happywave.gif[/img]

If wyv cannot find the site she is searching for, and I know which one it is, we will just have to make a new one. [img]smile.gif[/img]

Unfortunately there is no easy way to make this game "easier". What you can do is to use the editor and edit your skills to make the game more difficult. Another approach is to change your solo character at the Valeia Inn from time to time. Play a solo character up to lvl 30, then switch him/her to a new one at the inn. Or try playing a solo boogre. Or try playing entirely without the use of magic. That should toughen things up some. Remember, no healing spells.
WillowIX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2003, 10:12 AM   #4
Bungleau
40th Level Warrior

Welcome to the boards, Misanthrop! May your journeys through the Gael Serran keep many a bard in brew money for years to come...

I'm with you -- a good storyline is more important in a CRPG than good graphics. I've played W&W several times over just because it's different every time.

My current game is a solo warrior game. The idea started out about seven months ago when some of us were discussing on the board what would be the most challenging game to play. A solo warrior, starting with no magic, seemed one of the hardest, so I started playing and tracking my progress. Check on this page for the Solo Warrior thread, and if you've got some time, you can read up on the whole process. Everything game-related really happened, while some of the storyline-related items have been inserted by the editor [img]smile.gif[/img]

Personally, I think that a solo rogue game will be harder, simply because of the delay in getting access to a guild.

Someone else, and I don't recall who, was playing a game equipped with only cursed items. Anything that was detrimental to the character could be equipped, and anything good had to be sold off. I don't remember how that went, but there's something to be considered.

Someone else talked about doing a game with no magic -- using only might to win the game.

You can also try oddball combinations -- a pixie warrior-type, an oomphaz rogue, a dwarven cleric... the possibilities are endless.

And I just had a thought for another challenging game -- one where you don't switch classes at all.

So the answer to making the game more challenging is limited by your own imagination. Anything is fair game... and there is no wrong way to play [img]smile.gif[/img]

As for the bestiary, I can't help you much there. If anyone has that kind of information, it will be Radek
-+-+-+
Give 'em a hug one more time. It might be the last.
Bungleau is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2003, 05:38 PM   #5
Olli Kalma

Hello Misanthrop! And welcome here!

I'm currently at the road with couple Ironworks Forum members...
We are searching Nymph Coffee beans into Boogre Bar, you might want to visit in Boogre Bar, better place is hard to find in Gael Serran!

Well, if you want some challenge into your game, try to play solo character,
ratlin thieve! She/He can't join any guild before entering Valeia!
No money cheat, no spells [img]smile.gif[/img]

And if you want to read some serious action, read Bungleau's story about Missy Hissy's adventures! ( you find them from here... )

I must wake Lionheart up and continue our travel...

Be seeing you when we get back into Boogre Bar!

Until then, enjoy the game!
Old 05-08-2003, 05:45 PM   #6
bsftcs
Red Dragon

Hello!!! Welcome to the board, Misanthrop. [img]graemlins/happywave.gif[/img]

As to the issue of a harder game, most of us pretty much agreed that a rogue boogre vampire solo character would prove the greatest challenge.

Our Finnish board member Olli Kalma talked about putting a couple of saved games involving boogre vampire characters out on one of his homepages. That way one can download the game, reset it, and start all over with a boogre vampire character. I am sure that Olli will tell you all about it next time he visits this topic.
Old 05-09-2003, 03:35 AM   #7
Radek
Red Dragon

You can also play a soloist without any items. That means no weapon, no armor, no amulets, rings, bracelets, and so on. You will fight with your fists and use Kung Fu.
It's a great challenge if you try to play such character from scratch [img]graemlins/hehe.gif[/img] but I strongly recommend getting some experience first: Start with a character with 100 HP or so, with the Kung Fu skill and with some spells.
Old 05-12-2003, 04:25 AM   #8
Olli Kalma

Quote:
Originally posted by bsftcs:
Our Finnish board member Olli Kalma talked about putting a couple of saved games involving boogre vampire characters out on one of his homepages. That way one can download the game, reset it, and start all over with a boogre vampire character. I am sure that Olli will tell you all about it next time he visits this topic.
Well, Yes I have couple of saved games, one from Skull Castle where Lysandra are. ( So you can make one of my character to vampire... )

I lost my Boogre-Vampire saved game, ( when I changed my harddrive )
It's hard to make one of your character into Boogre-Vampire...
First you must enter into B.Prison and after finishing that, don't touch Idol of Aku so you let one of you men ( women ) boogre.
Then find your way into Skull Castle and locate Lysandra and POW!
You have Boogre-Vampire! Then reset adventures and start new game with that char.

The problem here is that because it's so late in the game when you get B-V, that it's going to be quite easy in the beginning of the game.

So I figured, that I create new char in the Inn and just take him/her into B.prison and back into town.
Then I leave him there and find Lysandra and then I take that new guy among others and turn him into Vampire.
This only 'cause, if I take him among in Skull Castle adventure and further into Boogre Prison, he would get too much experience...

We want that he's novice and B-V.

If you are still interessted, just let me know, so I can give it a try!
Old 05-12-2003, 09:42 AM   #9
Shimoda
Elite Waterdeep Guard

Welcome Misanthrop,

Glad to see people are still playing this game. I am still playing this game as well. I only got half way through the game and then got a new computer so started over as I didn't like my original characters. I love the characters I now have and I am kicking butt.

I love Wizards and Warriors and to all those who can't play a game unless it has updated graphics then it's their loss. The story with the spoken narration that describes new areas as you journey is what I love best about the game. I hope that DW Bradley will have a spoken narrator in his next game as well. It gives me that old D&D feeling as the DM would describe each area we came upon.
Also I like how your characters can meet tough monsters along with weak monsters and you have the choice of running or trying to fight them. It allows you to find the areas you belive are the easier levels to bring up your characters and then come back and kick butt in those areas you had problems with.

I am not sure if I ran into the skeleton monster you spoke of. I am just finishing up the Stout mines and on my way to meet the Dragon to complete the third watcher quest.

I may have met the Bone Ranger and just didn't really notice. I did however just get a copy of the Strategy book and it has a listing of all the monsters. There are 75 species and each species may be single or have multiple monsters under that species giving a grand total of 300 different monsters for Wizards and Warriors.

Here is the info for the Bone Ranger compared to a Bone Archer

Bone Archer Level 7, Hitpoints 31-52, Experience 1226

Bone Ranger Level 14, Hitpoints 84, Experience 6375

Also I found this pic of a Bone Ranger at an Australian Exhibition website,
http://www.amonline.net.au/exhibitions/

BONE RANGER riding a Horse:
http://www.amonline.net.au/exhibitio...tons/horse.htm
Shimoda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2003, 02:03 PM   #10
Bungleau
40th Level Warrior

Glad to see you're getting back in the game, Shimoda. And if I didn't say it before, welcome to the boards! May your name bring fear and respect throughout the Gael Serran!

There is a lot of fun in these games, and the story is far more important to me than the graphics level. I'm glad to see that you agree! With enough of us, we'll take over the world :evilcackle:

Oh, and do be wary of the Tome of Misinformation that you picked up. While put out with good intentions, it has been known to contain an error or 50. If ever you find yourself in doubt, you can find the answers here... all the time...
-+-+-+
Give 'em a hug one more time. It might be the last.
Bungleau is offline   Reply With Quote