Visit the Ironworks Gaming Website Email the Webmaster Graphics Library Rules and Regulations Help Support Ironworks Forum with a Donation to Keep us Online - We rely totally on Donations from members Donation goal Meter

Ironworks Gaming Radio

Ironworks Gaming Forum

Go Back   Ironworks Gaming Forum > Ironworks Gaming Forums > General Discussion > General Conversation Archives (11/2000 - 01/2005)
FAQ Calendar Arcade Today's Posts Search

Old 06-03-2001, 06:43 PM   #11
Sazerac
Ironworks Moderator

Redblueflare: Outstanding! I really liked it.

If you posted it in a public forum, it is copyright as soon as you publish it. I'm unsure on the actual laws, but you can look them up here.

Man, there's a lot of talent on the board!

Old 06-03-2001, 08:19 PM   #12
Charean
Hathor

Hey... waiting for the next installment!! This is GOOD!

------------------

Defender for the Light -
Goodness knows there is a lot of Dark out there!! - Where are my matches?!?
Wandering Soul - Finding my life's calling is Bodhisattva
Looking for lost brain - I left it only for a moment....and there it goes... rolling under the table!!
Noticing that the Light has gotten further down a Dark Tunnel than expected... Time to get the Lantern... Knowing sooner or later - I will get to the End of this Tunnel to the Open Air once again...
Old 06-04-2001, 04:41 PM   #13
Draconia

This is a great story Redblueflare. I really enjoyed reading it. I can't wait for the rest. I hope you keep writing.

------------------

Draconia, Dragon Queen
Old 06-04-2001, 04:53 PM   #14
Redblueflare
Galvatron

Thank you Fljotsdale. I'm always open to suggestions from editor people such as yourself. As long as your name isn't Jay Wood III, who is one of my good friends. Anyway here's four more pages. Everyone tell me what you think.

“Don’t worry, you will soon.” Red assured me. “Flare, Snowball, and I will be your guardians.” He went on. “We’re here to watch and protect you, Krystal, and your twin sister.”
“Tk” I said. The name sounded very familiar.
“Yes.” Red said. “She’ll see you first thing tomorrow morning. She isn’t happy that she couldn’t be here to see you now.”
I nodded. Although I knew little about her, I too wanted to see my twin.

“What are we sitting around here for?” Flare asked as he flew to my left shoulder. “Lets go somewhere!” Snowball (I couldn’t help but smile at that name.) ran over to us. “What’s so funny?” she asked looking me directly in the eyes.
“How did they come up with your name?” I wondered out loud. “No offense I’m just asking.” It wasn’t that I felt threatened by snowball. (She was no bigger than a housecat!) I was just being polite.
“I have no idea.” Snowball answered. “I kind of like it. It’s different.”
“Won’t argue with you there.” Flare commented.
“It is different.” I said. “I guess it isn’t all that bad.”
”Thanks.” Snowball told me, showing me a mouth of sharp teeth. (A smile?)
“It’s been nice meeting you Torch.” I said. “Again.”
Torch laughed once more. “It’s been a pleasure meeting you as well. We will see each other again, and soon. Take care of him Krystal.”
“Don’t I always?” Krystal asked as we left the cave.

“Yes!” Krystal shouted when we outside. She picked me up by my waist, and swung me around, (Scaring Red and Flare off my shoulders in the process.) then began hugging me tightly. “Finally you’ve come back! I can hardly believe it! It’s been such a long time! We’ve got so much to talk about! Like what have you been eating in that other dimension? You’re weightless.”
Weightless? I wondered. “Could you put me down please?” I asked.
“Sorry.” Krystal said as she complied. “Alan do you remember me?” she asked slowly, as if she feared how I would answer.
I hesitated for a moment. “Sort of.”
“Sort of?” Krystal mused.
“He remembers things about you.” Red explained. “He knows a little bit about who you are, but he doesn’t remember how close the two of you once were.”
“So he doesn’t remember we were best friends?” Krystal asked obviously disappointed. “I was afraid of this.”
“How can you know all this?” I asked Red in disbelief.
“That is a question I can not answer.” The little dragon replied. “I just know.”
“So where to?” Flare asked. “I’m tired of hanging around here.”
“Then we’ll go home.” Krystal said staring at the impatient phoenix.
“Home?” I asked.
“To the castle.” Krystal replied. “You’ll know it when you see it.” Suddenly Krystal flew high into the air. “Yeah you heard right she flew. In less than a second she had vanished from sight. “Don’t tell me you’ve forgotten how to fly.” Krystal said from behind me. I turned to see her smiling down at me, still floating.
“I’ve flown before?” I asked surprised.
“Are you kidding?” Krystal asked. “We used to together just to pass the time.”
“I have no idea how you’re doing that.” I told her. “So lets just walk.”
“We could walk.” Krystal said “But I’d rather carry you there.” Before I could protest. Krystal swept me into her arms and flew into the sky.
“Krystal put me down!” I shouted at her.
“Are you sure?” She asked as her green eyes twinkled. “It’s a long way down.” I looked down and gasped, she was right. The ground was far below us.
“Okay don’t put me down.”
“Don’t worry I won’t let you slip or anything.” Krystal answered. “Are you embarrassed Alan?”
“Yes, how did you know?”
“It’s your eyes.”
“My eyes?” I asked. “What do you mean?”
“Perhaps I should put you on the ground before I explain.” Krystal said her voice suddenly serious. “I can’t believe you’ve forgotten about your eyes.”
“What about my eyes?” I asked.
“So what are you embarrassed about Alan?” Krystal asked changing the subject.
I wanted to hear what she had to say about my eyes, but I knew I just knew she wouldn’t say anything more about it, until she wanted to. “Well.” I began. “The guy is supposed to carry the girl not vice-versa. You give me a single good reason why I should let you carry me.”
“I can give you three.” Krystal answered. “Number one, the men don’t do all the carrying around if you know what I mean.” Krystal said with a wink. “Number two it’s almost eight hundred miles to the castle. I don’t even know how long it would take to walk at your speed.”
”Are you calling me slow?” I asked. I had always prided myself on my ability to outrun just about anyone.
“Yes I am.” Krystal said. “You may have been fast in that other dimension but you’re slow here. I was moving to fast for your eyes to see back there.”
I frowned. “What’s the third reason?”
“Alan I used to carry you all the time when we were younger. You got hurt a lot.”
“Oh doesn’t that make me feel better about this!” I said sarcastically.
“Well it’s true!” Krystal exclaimed. You, Tk and I, would always be in some kind of trouble. And more often than not it would be your fault. I remember you hated the idea of sitting around, when you were sure there was an adventure to be had somewhere.”
“Why waste the entire day sitting around?” I asked her.
“Yes that’s exactly what you used to say!” Krystal exclaimed laughing. “Some things never change!”
“It’s great that I’m having this conversation with you Krystal.” I said. “But can we please continue this on the ground?”
“Okay, okay I get the picture.” Krystal said. “But I’m taking you to the castle first, whether you like it or not.”

All my life I had dreamed of flying. Just the idea of being able to soar within the clouds was amazing to me. I could go at my own pace, enjoying the scene below. However Krystal flight was far from that dream. I felt as if I’d been strapped to the outside of a rocket. Imagine going from zero to three hundred in less than a second! No I’m not exaggerating, and by the way the ground was moving I’d say we were going much faster than that! After a second or two of this, I couldn’t take anymore and closed my eyes.

“Alan we’re here.” Krystal said. I opened my eyes to see Krystal still wearing a warm smile on her beautiful face. “Are you alright?” she asked as she set me down on my feet.”
“I’m fine now.” I answered.
“Good. You weren’t scared were you?” I was going slow for your sake.”
“Slow?” I asked.
“Yes slow.” Krystal said. “It took us almost three minutes to get here!”
“Hang on let me get this straight.” I said. “It took us almost three minutes to travel eight hundred miles?”
”Yeah.” Flare said from behind us. “I thought you’d never get here.”

“Welcome home Alan!” Krystal cried. It was strange how suddenly everything was starting to feel familiar. My home was no exception. It was a castle! The castle was at least five stories high. It was rectangular shaped with four circular towers at its corners. The castle itself was made of stone bricks. (Limestone?) There was an enormous brass gate that served as the entrance. Flags with a dragon’s insignia hung proudly on its roof. Almost as extraordinary as the castle itself was the scenery. The castle was set on a cliff, which overlooked water. Anyone unlucky enough to fall off would hit the jagged rocks below. The water stretched on for miles. From the salty smell in the air it had to be an ocean or sea. The entire castle was enveloped, by a rose garden, which was surrounded by a brass gate.

Krystal grabbed my hand again and the two of us ran over to the door. To my amazement Krystal pushed the enormous door open with her hand. I tried to open it a little wider; it wouldn’t budge an inch.
“How can you do that?” I asked.
“Do not worry.” Krystal said squeezing my hand gently. “Your powers will return soon.”
”Powers?” I asked.
“Of course.” Red spoke up.” I guess your powers are dormant now because you haven’t used them for long.”
“What kind of powers?” I asked interested.
“All kinds of powers.” Red said. “Super strength and speed, flight, improved vision. I could go on and on.”
“Are you coming in?” Krystal interrupted.
“Coming.” I answered. “I’m right behind you.”
”Good.” Krystal said. “I’ll show you around. Maybe it’ll help you help your memory.”

As soon as we stepped into the castle we were in a large room. A long table was in its center. There had to be at least fifteen chairs to that table but I was to interested in the other parts of the room to count. There was a fireplace on the wall opposite the door. No wood was inside it, and it appeared as if it hadn’t been used for a long time. There were three doors in the room, the brass entrance and two others. A flight of stairs went up to the second floor. At the top of the stairs there was a wooden rail to keep anyone from falling. I had the feeling it was just jumped over, and ignored for the most part. Golden-framed pictures hung all about.
One of the pictures in particular caught my eye. It was a picture of a younger Krystal, a girl, and me. The girl wore double sheaths. I supposed she wielded two swords, one in each hand. She had short dark hair, and when I looked closely I could see her that it was streaked with silver. She had the biggest tan eyes that I had ever seen. None of us could’ve been much older than ten when that picture was taken, maybe a year younger. One of the girl’s hands rested on a sword hilt, while the other waved at the camera along with Krystal and I. (Or whatever was taking the picture.)
Remembering that Krystal had mentioned something about my eyes I took a closer look at them. I gasped when I saw they were gold, and glowing brightly.
“I think you better tell me about my eyes now.” I said.
“I’ll tell you after I’ve finished showing you around. Could you please wait until then?” Krystal pleaded.
“Alright.” I answered reluctantly. “That girl in the picture must be Tk,” I said changing the subject.
Krystal nodded. “It is. I bet you can’t wait to see her. She’ll be here tomorrow first thing in the morning.”
”What’s she doing?” I asked.
”Adventuring.” Snowball replied.
“Adventuring huh?” I asked. “Where?”
”In another dimension not unlike this one.” Was Krystal’s reply. “I’ll take you there when we get the chance.” She added.

“Come on!” Krystal exclaimed. “We’ve spent enough time here.”
“Hold it, hold it, hold it.” I said.
“What, what, what?” Krystal asked.
“This is a castle right?” I pressed.
Krystal nodded. “Your parents are the king and queen?” I went on.
“Yes.” Krystal said.
“And that makes you a princess right?” I continued.
“I’m glad you could figure all this out all by yourself own Alan.” Flare said sarcastically.
”Alan exactly what are you getting at?” Krystal wanted to know.
“Where are all the guards?” I demanded. “There are no soldiers here, and you seem to be all alone. Who would leave a castle completely unprotected like this?”
”Who said anything about it being unprotected?” Krystal asked. “I’m still here.”
From the look on her face she was dead serious. “How can you hope to protect this place all by yourself?” I questioned.
“You’d be surprised what a single Icarian can do.” Snowball put in. “Never underestimate yourself.”
“That still doesn’t mean you should run blindly into danger either.” Krystal added. “As you’ve done in the past.”

------------------
Everyone is entitled to their own opinion, I just don't have to listen.
Old 06-04-2001, 06:29 PM   #15
Fljotsdale
Thoth - Egyptian God of Wisdom

Int'restinger & Int'restinger! Keep it comin', Red.

------------------

Old 06-04-2001, 11:25 PM   #16
Moni

Excellent!

I can't wait to read more!

Moni

------------------

Old 06-04-2001, 11:30 PM   #17
Ladyzekke
Ironworks Atomic Moderator

Good job RedBlueFlare - Like your story, very easy to read

------------------
Old 06-05-2001, 04:02 AM   #18
dafan

getting good getting real good

------------------
I'm a protector of good
a seeker of truth
a symbol of light
a man of honor

Old 06-05-2001, 06:05 PM   #19
Cavern Sniffer
Elminster

Excellent stuff Redblue, right from the opening line. Anymore to come fellah? Way to go pal, keep it up.

------------------
It's bleedin dark down here, slippery too.
Man, that's a pisser.
Old 06-05-2001, 08:30 PM   #20
Redblueflare
Galvatron

Here are a few more pages. I have some more questions first. Anyone know a good site for sword fighting? I know nothing about it, but Alan is defintitely using a sword. I have no idea where to start looking. Remember any suggestions are welcome!
“You’d be surprised what a single Icarian can do.” Snowball put in. “Never underestimate yourself.”
“That still doesn’t mean you should run blindly into danger either.” Krystal added. “As you’ve done in the past.”
“Are all of those stories about him true?” Flare asked.
Krystal smiled. “Every last one.”
Flare stared at me in amazement. “I have to see this kid in action for myself.” He muttered.
I of course had no idea what they were talking about. I felt completely lost, and needed some time to lie down and think about things. I knew that wouldn’t happen. There were still things Krystal wanted to show me. Besides I had so many questions I didn’t know where to begin, there was something Flare said that bothered me though.
“Kid?” I asked him. “Do I look like a kid to you?”
“Yes you do.” Flare replied. “Actually.”
I scowled at that remark but decided to ignore it. From the phoenix’s attitude nothing I could say would bother him anyway.
”What were you thinking about Alan?” Krystal asked interrupting my thoughts.
I shrugged. “Everything. How did you know that I was…”
“Your eyes were closed.” Krystal explained. “You always close your eyes when you think.”
I was more than a little surprised when she said that. I had never meant anyone who knew me so well, or who would’ve bothered to learn so much about me. Somehow she could tell how I was feeling. That fact alone unnerved me a little. (How would you feel if someone knew how you felt every second?”) I felt comfortable around Krystal though. I’d never met anyone like her, and felt as if I’d known her my entire life. Being around her was starting to make me feel a little guilty as well. She knew so much about me, but I knew so little of her.
No need you to feel sad Alan.” Krystal said gently, turning my face to hers. “Skip with me.” She ordered wrapping my arm in hers. Without waiting for any response from me, she began to skip dragging me along with her.
"This is the kitchen." Krystal said. "Lets go."
"Wait." I protested. "You should at least let me take a look around." I said struggling against Krystal's pull.
"It's a kitchen." Krystal said. "What is there to see?"
She had a point. It was after all, just a kitchen, but a near modern one. Cabinets were all over the wall in groups of three. They were made of fine wood, (Don't ask me what kind. I'm no carpenter.) and were stocked with food. Two windows let plenty of light in the room, and could also slide open. I could tell by looking. There wasn't a stove or anything like that, but a fireplace lay in the center of the wall. The ashes and wood inside showed that it was used often. That was reasonable because you had to have fire to cook, and at night it would be hard to see without one. "Time to go." Krystal said pulling me out the door.

The next room had to be a ballroom. Glass chandeliers hung on the ceiling. In the front of the room there was a stage large enough for an orchestra. There was single long table against a wall. It and several chairs formed a rectangle around empty floor. "Won't be coming in here often." I muttered.
"Hmm?" Krystal asked.
"Nothing." I said quickly. I hadn't meant to be heard.
"Oh I understand." Krystal said. "You still can't dance can you?"
"No." I answered.
"It's just because you never bothered to learn. I can teach you if you like, but I won't force you."
"You'd never do that." I replied with my usual sarcasm.
"Are you implying that I've made you do things in the past?" She asked.
"Yes." I told her. "I remember a few times."
Krystal chuckled. "You never know I may have changed since then.” Krystal assured me. "A little."

"This is your old room." Krystal told me. What I saw as soon as I walked into the room was the wallpaper. It was like looking at the sky outside. The reddish sky was perfectly reflected on my walls. The clouds on the walls were even moving.
"I will never understand how your mother managed this." Krystal murmured. "I wish she could have shown me." My bed was next to the window; right where I like it. To the left of my bed there was a nightstand, which held a single candle. In the front of my room there was a dresser, and a large glass mirror. The only other item of interest in my room was a very large wooden chest in a corner. It didn't have a keyhole. I was tempted to open it right then and there.
"Let it wait until tomorrow." Red recommended. "You've got enough to think about as it is."
"You're right." I agreed. "However, there's something I want to know about right now."
Krystal sighed, she sat and my bed and motioned for me to join her. "Alan, you eyes glow." She said softly. "They show your emotions, when you're being honest, and what kind of mood you're in. See for yourself." She finished.
I took a look in the mirror. My eyes were yellow and glowing brightly. I gasped. Krystal put a comforting hand on my shoulder.
“What is this?” I wondered out loud. “Is this some sort of trick?” I tried to look away but no matter how hard I tried I couldn’t take my eyes off the mirror.
"The brown you were used to seeing must've been an illusion." Snowball added.
"So you eyes are a little strange Alan." Flare went on. "You shouldn't get all bent out of shape about it."
"A little strange?" I echoed. "Name someone else with eyes like mine."
"Your mother." Krystal said simply. "You inherited them from her."
"You'll get used to them again." Red promised. "I’ve noticed you've already become friendly with the company here already."
My cheeks went hot, and my eyes changed from yellow to maroon.

Although it couldn't have been very late, I felt exhausted. Krystal seemed to sense how tired I was, and after giving me a final hug, told me she'd be in the next room if I needed anything. From the way she paused at the door, I guessed she didn't really want to leave. "Sweet dreams." She said finally. Then she left me to my thoughts.

I had a lot to think about. I'd come back to this world not remembering anything at all. After a single day I'd found that I had a best friend, a twin sister, and that this world strange as it may be, was my home. I'd never imagined I would be able to even talk to a dragon, much less have one as a friend, and another as a guardian. The legendary bird, Phoenix existed here. So did Sabers. Beings I hadn't heard of, and didn't remember anything about, though in time it would all come back to me. It was strange; things I hadn't remembered for years would come back overnight. I didn't quite understand it. How could my memories return so quickly and why did I have to leave anyway? The answers would come soon, I was certain about that. A quarter moon and stars had replaced the sun on my walls. (As well as out the window.) I must’ve stared at them for an hour, but I couldn't pick out a single constellation. I didn't think anything of it though, and soon fell asleep.

The next morning quick hands snatched the bed sheets off me. I shivered as the person fanned me with them. I didn’t even have to open my eyes to know who it was. "Tk can't you just say wake up like a normal person?"
"Alan you remembered!" Tk cried. She pulled me out of bed and embraced me so tightly I could hardly breathe. "That's the brother I know." She said, with tears in her eyes. "I've only been here for a minute and you've already insulted me."
I smiled. (I couldn't have done much else anyhow with her hugging me so tightly!) "Maybe you should let him go now." Krystal suggested. "He needs to breathe." She added laughing. When Tk finally released me, I took a step back to take a good look at her.
From the looks of her, she hadn't changed much. Her once silver streaked hair, was completely silver now. As far as I could tell, not a single strand of black was in her hair. She still wore the two sheaths on her belt. Inside of them were her two long swords Blaze, and Impulse. Torch and my father Quentin McCoy forged them. (Dragon fire works wonders on metal.) She still wore her medallion too. It was almost alike like Krystal’s except there was an engraving of a starry sky. I had one almost like it.
I noticed first was that Tk had become beautiful. Since you're hearing that from me, her own brother you know it must be true! Anyone I knew thought twice before they even tried to talk to Tk. She'd always been a bit of a tomboy, and that scared anyone who liked her away. Besides she could fight as well as I could, if not better. If someone she didn’t like ever advanced on her, they'd go home with quite a few bruises. (Cuts too.) She’s the type of girl who voices her opinion despite who’s around her, and whether they want to hear it or not. If you act like and idiot around her, trust me she’s going to let you know you’re acting like an idiot! Around her friends you'd never guess she could be anything but nice. She could be sweet and gentle if she liked, (Just like a lady.) and usually found no reason not to be. She was the type of person who you’d go to if you had a problem. Regardless of what the problem was, Tk would do whatever she could to help. You’d be wise to listen to her advice, as she’s usually right.
People said she and I were a lot alike. No one ever seems to notice our differences though. Well besides the obvious being that I’m a boy and she’s a girl. Tk had been able to just go up and talk to new people. I couldn’t do that at first, but Tk and Krystal told me I’d never make friends being shy. (Now that I think about it, it’s true.) Tk also had a longer temper and more patience than I could ever hope for. Tk is always willing to listen to what anyone has to say, even if she knows it will be something she doesn’t want to hear.

“I see you remembered Tk just fine.” Krystal noted sounding hurt, and making me feel guilty. “You didn’t even have to look up to know it was her.”
“Don’t be like that Krystal!” I said. “She’s my sister for goodness sakes!”
“I understand.” Krystal replied with a sigh.
“Would it make you feel better if I said I remember you now?” I asked.
“You do?” Krystal asked surprised. I was just as surprised as she was. My memories or a great deal of them, had returned overnight, just like Torch said.
“I do.” I told her.
“Don’t say it Tk.” Krystal warned.
“Say what?” Tk asked innocently.

I guess I should say a little bit more about Krystal. She wasn’t going anywhere this time so I had more time to look at her. Krystal was the type of person who would forever be a kid. She always had a spring in her step, her green eyes were always twinkling, and there was nearly always a smile on her face. She did everything with the grace you’d expect from a princess. She was a few inches taller than me, and had much longer legs than I did. She always used to pick one me because of her slight height advantage. Then I’d tease her because of her long blonde hair. (Hey even Icarians have stereotypes. We were never serious. We only teased each other in good fun.) Krystal would then remind me that her hair wasn’t always that color. It wasn’t unusual for an Icarians hair color to change all on it’s own. Krystal’s hair had changed color several times while all of us were still young. It had changed from blue, to red, to green, to black, and then finally to blonde. (Not unusual colors for an Icarians hair.) It was as if her hair was trying to find a color that suited the rest of her body
As I was saying before Krystal is a lot like the typical princess. She’s a lot different from the typical princess too. Never before had I seen or even heard of, another princess who could fight as well as Tk and I. The two of them were my equals in just about everything. Both of them have saved my life countless times. Krystal has this gentle aura around her, which made you feel relaxed, and want to be friends with her. She always knew exactly what to say, and would say what was on her mind, whether you wanted her to or not. Her eyes burned with their own inner fire, and could make anyone squirm under their piercing gaze. She could always talk me into things. If she can’t reason with me she’ll find some way to get me promise to do it. (Or promise not to do it depending on what it is.) I’m a man of my word, and have never broken a promise. She’s much wilder than a normal princess. I decided long ago that it’s a good thing.

So what do you remember about me?” Krystal asked curiously. “What do you remember about us?” she corrected herself.
I shrugged. “Many things.”
“Like what?” Tk asked just as curious.
“Catch me and find out.” I said.

“Ready Krystal?” Tk whispered to me.
I nodded. From the mischievous grin that appeared on Alan’s face, Tk and I were in for a chase. (No I didn’t mean to make that rhyme.) In a single lightning fast movement Alan leapt out of the suddenly opened window. He hit the ground softly as he always did, and bolted as soon as both feet hit the ground.
“He’s giving you the chance to catch him.” Flare noted. “I bet anything he remembers how to fly now too.”
“Probably.” Snowball agreed. “That was a quick recovery. He’s been gone for sixth months, but look at him go!”

------------------
Everyone is entitled to their own opinion, I just don't have to listen.