Visit the Ironworks Gaming Website Email the Webmaster Graphics Library Rules and Regulations Help Support Ironworks Forum with a Donation to Keep us Online - We rely totally on Donations from members Donation goal Meter

Ironworks Gaming Radio

Ironworks Gaming Forum

Go Back   Ironworks Gaming Forum > Ironworks Gaming Forums > General Discussion > General Conversation Archives (11/2000 - 01/2005)
FAQ Calendar Arcade Today's Posts Search

Old 04-29-2001, 10:43 PM   #21
Sir Taliesin
Silver Dragon

Great story!!! I'm hooked! Ladyzeeke may be able to shine some light on the legal issue. Ask her about it.

------------------
Sir Taliesin

Ten Rings there are, and nine gold torcs on the battlechiefs of old...
Old 04-29-2001, 11:54 PM   #22
RudeDawg
20th Level Warrior

Thanks for the encouragement, everyone! RL calls, but I'll post more of Chap 1 after work tomorrow...

G'night !
gotta watch movie....

------------------

The RudeDawg
Known in these Forgotten Realms as Perin LightEyes
Old 05-12-2001, 09:36 PM   #23
RudeDawg
20th Level Warrior

OK, I'm back. This is going to take some time today, since I'm re-writing this from an OLD draft, and I'm doing heavy editing,and some major overhauls..

Thanks again to everyone for the encouragement, especially to you Reeka, for not letting me forget this...

------------------

The RudeDawg
and my girlfriends, Pamila and Pfil
Old 05-12-2001, 09:37 PM   #24
RudeDawg
20th Level Warrior

The day after Jared named Perin, they went to work. Perin protested that they did not train at the weapons, but Jared was strict. They were up early, working in the field, cutting firewood, and taking care of the animals.

The work made Perin hungry, and he finally ate ravenously. He ate everything set before him, and adapted quickly to the structured life that Jared led.

Up early every morning, Perin noticed the sunrise, and the way Jared paused to give thanks every day. Perin found that he, too, had things to give thanks for. Those simple quiet moments filled Perin with strength.

On the morning of the third month, Perin was allowed to join Jared for a hunt. Perin’s nature allowed him to walk softly, but he marveled at Jared’s silence. As they passed through the woods, Jared pointed out tracks, and spoor, and other things that he felt Perin should know. Before they found their prey, Perin was already overwhelmed. On the walk home, Perin struggled with the small deer over his shoulders. Jared offered to help, but Perin was still trying to prove his worth.

The next day, Jared was waiting for him in the yard, before daybreak. He handed Perin a staff, cut just for him, and began showing Perin the dance. Together, they moved from one stance into another, Jared flowing like water, and Perin following awkwardly. After a time, Jared replaced the staff with a pair of knives. Every morning, before their chores and the hunt, they practiced, with staff and knives. Six months later, Jared gave Perin a gift.

The bow was as tall as Perin, which made it quite shorter than the one Jared used. When Perin tried to pull the string back, he was unable to.

Jared said, “When you can pull the string, and hold it steady, you will learn archery. On your bow, a man’s bow. Learning on a child’s bow would ruin you.”

For a year, Perin worked on the farm, and learned to track and hunt, and to handle the staff and knives. Jared taught him the beauty of the forest, and to love the silence. By the beginning of the second year Perin lived with Jared, he found he was happy.

As spring began, Perin pulled the string back under Jared’s watchful eye. Perin held the string back for a slow count of five, and slowly returned it to the starting position. Jared smiled, and went to get the quiver he had made for Perin.

Perin woke earlier from then on, since Jared did not relax on the chores or his weapon practice. The first day he was able to shoot five arrows, and no more. Each of them missed the bundle of hay he aimed at.

Time passed, and Perin got better. Much better.

The summer came, and with it, the trading festival at the village. Jared loaded the cart, and told Perin to bring his staff and bow.

Perin spent the length of the trip naming the animals, plants and trees. Jared tried to correct him twice, but each time found that he was wrong, and Perin sharp eyes had made the correct observation.

The village was full of people, and the crowds were loud. Perin squirmed a bit, but Jared’s calm presence made him stop. They pulled up to the inn, and Jared told Perin to bring in his pack. As the inn’s men took the cart and horses to the back, Jared led Perin into the first inn he had ever seen.

------------------

The RudeDawg
Old 05-12-2001, 09:51 PM   #25
RudeDawg
20th Level Warrior

After they set their things into the room, Jared dragged Perin into the commons-room. He laughed away Perin’s protests.

“This is a festival, boy. You need to get used to the people, and the noise. You won’t spend all you time on the farm. You need to get used to them, especially for the contest tomorrow.”

Perin sat up in his chair. The smell of the dinner before them filled his mouth. A heavy stew full of rabbit, venison, onions, and mushrooms, made heavy with red wine. He stuffed his mouth, and then stopped.

“Wha contress?” He asked around his mouth full. Then he swallowed. “What contest?”

“You’re entered in the archery and the staff contest. If you do well, you’ll also try for the tracking and the hunting ones. I’m not allowed to compete, but I’m judging this year. I see the surprise in your face. If I had told you, you would have argued. And I would have been upset.”

“Contest? I can’t do well! I’m a child, and I’m never as good as you!”

“Perin, I know what you can do, much more than you can. You will do well.”

Perin did not know the feeling he felt clutching his stomach. He had never been nervous before.

------------------

The RudeDawg
Old 05-12-2001, 10:37 PM   #26
John D Harris
Ninja Storm Shadow

Great story wRiterDawg

------------------

"the memories of a man in his old age,
are deeds of a man in his prime"
Old 05-13-2001, 04:12 PM   #27
Reeka
Ma'at - Goddess of Truth & Justice

Author! Author! Bravo! More, Rudi! More! (And thanks!)

------------------
O_H_F

Old 05-13-2001, 05:10 PM   #28
Mouse
Ironworks Moderator

Respect!! and bump

------------------
Regards

Mouse
Old 05-18-2001, 12:09 AM   #29
onthepequod
Quintesson

RudeDawg,

Great story. I finally got a chance to sit down and read this. If this is your idea of a teaser......it worked.

I would love to read more if you're willing to share and have the time.
Old 05-18-2001, 12:29 AM   #30
RudeDawg
20th Level Warrior

Quote:
Originally posted by onthepequod:
RudeDawg,

Great story. I finally got a chance to sit down and read this. If this is your idea of a teaser......it worked.

I would love to read more if you're willing to share and have the time.
Thank you, so much.
Everyone has been very kind in your assessments. I've been spending most of my writing time on another project, but as soon as I get the bulk of that done (If I pause on that one, I'll never get it going again. It's kinda painful for me), I'll get back to The Forging.

The GreatfulDawg (we need a greatful dead smiley)

------------------

The RudeDawg