Visit the Ironworks Gaming Website Email the Webmaster Graphics Library Rules and Regulations Help Support Ironworks Forum with a Donation to Keep us Online - We rely totally on Donations from members Donation goal Meter

Ironworks Gaming Radio

Ironworks Gaming Forum

Go Back   Ironworks Gaming Forum > Ironworks Gaming Forums > Miscellaneous Games (RPG or not)
FAQ Calendar Arcade Today's Posts Search

Closed Thread

Old 01-10-2002, 12:00 AM   #41
Gilrad
Elite Waterdeep Guard

Pirating software is just like boycotting to me; they dont deserve the money that sales would bring the company.
Old 01-10-2002, 12:38 AM   #42
fable
Quintesson

quote:
Originally posted by Gilrad:
Pirating software is just like boycotting to me; they dont deserve the money that sales would bring the company.

Boycotting a store isn't the same as stealing from that store. You occupy the higher ethical ground if you boycott. But I fail to see anything other than a thief stealing a freebie when a person pirates software.

[ 01-10-2002: Message edited by: fable ]

Old 01-10-2002, 12:56 AM   #43
Gilrad
Elite Waterdeep Guard

Of course it sounds more ethical to boycott, you probably see a pirate as somebody who downloads a game for free, has a darn tootin' time while he plays it, and then moves on to the next company he can rip off.
However hard it must be for you to belive, however, I do not play games very often. In fact, the only game I have enjoyed since I bought Heroes of Might and Magic 3 was Wizardry 8, another game that I bought. All the games that dont deserve my money, likewise dont deserve my time, and I only play them out of personal spite for the companies.

Now why dont you ask yourself weither I am still explaining to you how I justify pirated software, or weither you are trying to find a flaw in my logic, and possibly make me see the 'wrong' of my ways?
Old 01-10-2002, 01:43 AM   #44
fable
Quintesson

quote:
Originally posted by Gilrad:
Now why dont you ask yourself weither I am still explaining to you how I justify pirated software, or weither you are trying to find a flaw in my logic, and possibly make me see the 'wrong' of my ways?

Why should I bother showing you a flaw in your logic, when I was digging for emotional justifications, not flaws? And what makes you think I would ever act the missionary, even if I think your just ducking the issue?

[ 01-10-2002: Message edited by: fable ]

Old 01-10-2002, 01:49 AM   #45
Goumindong
Manshoon

just so all of you know.... cracking your own game is not a crime.

when someone asked for a cracked version they asked for a version that would run without the CD check (not safedisk). This increases speed. however he was probably a pirate

anyway, i just wanted to say that cracking your own stuff is fine, because you Still need to have the cd in order to crack it (usualy)

OH, and Gil the difference between boycotts and pirating is this... when you boycott the store loses your BUSINESS, when you pirate, the company loses its PRODUCT.

now... what you said about being different is not genius(different) but a pathetic attempt to justify your lack of morals. being different for the sake of being different is the same as being the same for the sake of being the same.

Did you know that school is media... would you forgo your education? those mainstream thoughts that have proven themselves over time. Did you know that its mainstream to be anit-mainstream. That you would join the MINORITY by being a moral person?
Old 01-10-2002, 01:58 AM   #46
*C*
Elite Waterdeep Guard

I completly agree with Goumindong. [img]graemlins/rant.gif[/img]
[img]graemlins/givingspeech.gif[/img]
However there is a reason why only the minority has morals.. These are usually people without problems or too self centered in their own GOODNESS to realize other people might have more difficult problems with no solutions. [img]tongue.gif[/img]
Old 01-10-2002, 02:04 AM   #47
Moni

adding a comment before ryu gets into any trouble for being here.

Someone legit come up with a legit address for me and I'll pay for his "copy".

Old 01-10-2002, 02:36 AM   #48
Jerry Austin
The Magister

Oh great thats all we need:
Im(or my family)is or are poor cant afford it so il STEAL it,but i can afford a computer and a pretty decent one the way it sounds and someone else can pay for it.
Pirating is wrong otherwise there at least legally its basically stealing something that someone made to pay their bills or feed their families and just cause your poor dont justify stealing it....oh im poor and cant afford that car so il steal it and someone else can pay for it.
Let it happen to you once is all i can say.....on top of it,it is a luxury item(lol.
Oh well my 2 cents....
I for one wont respond to a post started by ryu or gilrad.
hey i wonder if i can get someone to pay for morrowind when it comes out as im not employed right now(but i can wheel and deal to get money)
Oh well later
Old 01-10-2002, 02:45 AM   #49
Moni

hey, at least ryu is honest enough to admit he is playing a pirated copy. That in itself deserves some respect, esp in an anti-crack thread!

Sorry I am trying to be charitable to Sir-Tech and ryu and that it is ticking you off!

Old 01-10-2002, 03:01 AM   #50
Jerry Austin
The Magister

Respect...hmm no i dont think our definitions of respect are the same.
As far as being ticked off im not ticked off hey if it works for one maybe it'l work for someone else.
Hey if you want to reward him for stealing buy paying for his copy go ahead..but i really dont think sir tech or any other game company would want you paying for stolen wares actually i think they would want to prosecute them if it was possible.
my point was i think its funny that someone steals something and someone else ends up paying for it one way or another.
call it what you will.
Sounds to me like encouragement to steal i dont know i may be wrong.....i wonder if sir tech would have been more ahead finicial wise if no one stole from them...hm maybe a wizardy9 would be on the horizon.
Maybe you wouldnt care if some one stole something that you put a lot of work into but i would and the last thing id want is someone else paying for the thief stealing it.
They say what comes around goes around.
Piracy has really became something huge in the gaming world and to reward someone for it just seems wrong.