Visit the Ironworks Gaming Website Email the Webmaster Graphics Library Rules and Regulations Help Support Ironworks Forum with a Donation to Keep us Online - We rely totally on Donations from members Donation goal Meter

Ironworks Gaming Radio

Ironworks Gaming Forum

Go Back   Ironworks Gaming Forum > Ironworks Gaming Forums > Miscellaneous Games (RPG or not)
FAQ Calendar Arcade Today's Posts Search

Closed Thread

Old 11-22-2001, 08:04 PM   #21
vesselle
Hathor

~~moni~~

either one is good. it all depends on how you like to do things.

**for those of us who like letting winzip extract the files and then create the new file structure, that's definitely the one to use.

**but then for those of us who like to see what's going on, and have control, davros' version is the one. or even if you just want to save a copy of your game exe prior to installing the patch.

it's not a big deal, because they both do the same thing in the end.

just remember that with davros' you have to conform to the file structure, create a new folder for the patch and name it properly.

V***V
Old 11-23-2001, 01:35 AM   #22
Moni

Thanks [img]smile.gif[/img]

Old 11-23-2001, 04:21 AM   #23
Davros
Takhisis Follower

No no no - go with the patch at the official site - it fixes more problems. The first one I quoted fixes the Ascension Peak load bug - the second one fixes that plus the disappearing Mook problem. Aparently if you talk to the Mook and save while he is fading away, he is permanently removed from the game - when you go back to him he is not there - hence official patch 1.
Old 11-23-2001, 10:10 AM   #24
WOLFGIR
Bastet - Egyptian Cat Goddess

*Wolfgir stand with one clennched pae in the air*
No to cracked games!
Yes to cheaper games.
Yes to better games.

Say no to cracks..
However I support the files for private use of your own legally paid game, cause one donīt want to run the game from the CD in the computer!!!! Only reason!!

---Donīt have a clean concsious, but who has?----
All we can do is try and make ourselves better!!

Donīt eat the yellow snow
Old 11-26-2001, 10:03 PM   #25
Knarfling
Drow Warrior

It is deja vu all over again!

This is almost too funny. I do not support piracy, and probably never will. If the game is worth playing, it is worth paying for. If it is not worth paying for, then it probably isn't worth buying. But your memtion of the copy protection with errors on the CD brings back memories of the Commodore 64 and the sophisticated copy protection it used on floppy disks. (I worked in a computer store at the time and kept up with the latest, but never supported piracy because every pirated game meant less money for me.)

There were always two camps of copy protection breakers. Those that changed the main program to prevent it from looking for the copy protection and those that tried to copy the protection onto a new disk. At first the protection was simple. Create an error on the disk in a sector that was never used by the game. The game would check the disk and if it got an error at the right spot, it was okay. As programs were introduced to write errors to the disks, the schemes got more elaborate. There were "hidden" tracks that most copy programs couldn't copy. When that was found out, there were specific errors on the disk. The wrong error said that the disk was a copy. Then there were errors on the "hidden" tracks. There was even attempts to write specific data "under" the errors so that the first time a sector was read it gave a specific error and the second time it gave good data. This created all kinds of "fun" when the disk got a little old and worn and the errors didn't match what the copy protection said that they should.

Then there were the "manual" copy protections. During the startup, ask for specific information from the manual. If the information is incorrect, you must not have the manual and may have a copy so the game wouldn't start. Wiz 7 users (not Wiz Gold) may remember this.

And of course there were the "crackers" who would crack a game. While I never could verify this, there were stories of companies or former employees that released a "bombed" version to the underground community. This version would have a warning built in saying, "This is a cracked version of . Play at your own risk." After playing for a while, sometimes weeks, the game would crash and sometimes even erase files off of any hard drives it could find connected to the system.

For a while, the need for copy protection died out. Games came out on CD and most people could not copy them. So the program just checked to see if the CD was in the drive. Now, with CD burners becoming more popular, I am afraid that we will see a return to the copy protection schemes of yesteryear. I wonder if they will start making "dongles" that you plug into an empty serial or USB port in order to make the game run. If only people would just buy the game. The games are not that expensive to begin with. The copy protection schemes will only drive up the prices of the games. I would hate to see the games starting at $75 instead of $45 because we end up paying for people to make and break copy protection schemes.

Knarfling
Old 12-02-2001, 12:40 PM   #26
Scronan
Zhentarim Guard

*BUMP*

I'm bumping this thread since a few people were talking about pirated copies of the game again. Please use common sense folks!

Scronan
Old 01-08-2002, 12:05 PM   #27
Scronan
Zhentarim Guard

*BUMP*

Sending this up again...

Scronan
Old 01-08-2002, 01:04 PM   #28
ryu
Elite Waterdeep Guard

great board with many active smart members caring to help newbs etc, and i wouldd hate not be able to come here any more, but i will tell this;
i live in eastern europe, in ex- soviet republic; my mother earns 190 USD a month, i attend university, and my younger brother - secondary school; i also work in evenings to pay up for my PC and rare inet connections;
and yes, i use illegal version of WIZ8; it is best game i've ever played; i bow to both CURRIE family wery low for creating THAT.. and i regret i CANT pay you for your hard work;
i am sorry to disgrace the community of RPG players and espacially WIZARDRY series fans;
sorry.
Old 01-08-2002, 07:27 PM   #29
ryu
Elite Waterdeep Guard

?
Old 01-08-2002, 07:43 PM   #30
BlackRaven
Dungeon Master

I suggest we not judge too harshly until we've "walked a mile in their shoes." I've seen, but never lived, the poverty that exists in some parts of the world.

My ire is reserved for those of us who live in the more affluent countries and still pirate games.