Visit the Ironworks Gaming Website Email the Webmaster Graphics Library Rules and Regulations Help Support Ironworks Forum with a Donation to Keep us Online - We rely totally on Donations from members Donation goal Meter

Ironworks Gaming Radio

Ironworks Gaming Forum

Go Back   Ironworks Gaming Forum > Ironworks Gaming Forums > General Discussion > General Conversation Archives (11/2000 - 01/2005)
FAQ Calendar Arcade Today's Posts Search

Old 09-28-2001, 08:15 PM   #51
Silver Cheetah
Fzoul Chembryl

Quote:
Originally posted by Yorick:

Finally, I am a creature of breaking habits. Spontanaity rather than ritual for me. If I get into a ritualised rut I seek to break it. But not all the time (that would be a ritual) I concur that we humans are creatures of habit and ritual, and that for some it provides a measure of comfort and security. For me, life is most exciting when the rules change, when the boundaries move, and when the unexpected occurs.

OOh, I just saw this bit. Now I'm mad! (not really.... ) But I am the most spontaneous creature! I don't see what doing a ritual now and then, or meditating has to do more with comfort and security than praying? What I'm talking about is a belief system that doesn't have rules, that changes to reflect the changes that take place in me and my life. What could be more exciting and less stultifying than that?

------------------

Ascended Mistress of Illumination OR Paws R Us
Old 09-28-2001, 08:18 PM   #52
Silver Cheetah
Fzoul Chembryl

Quote:
Originally posted by Diogenes Of Pumpkintown:
Getting off topic, here.

Yorick, Christianity has traditionally viewed God as being SUPER natural -- of being outside and removed from the natural world, which is seen in one sense as a false and temporary world before the everlasting and true world in heaven or hell.

Neo paganism is very different in this regard, seeing God as imbued in nature, in this world, in this life time. THIS world is all we can count on for sure. The rocks and trees and rivers and oceans and animals and plants are all imbued with God. Life is sacred. All life on this planet is Sacred.

Or so the view holds.
Beautifully and clearly put, Dio! I'm getting tired and incoherent, I fear...

------------------

Old 09-28-2001, 08:20 PM   #53
Diogenes Of Pumpkintown
Banned User

"For me, life is most exciting when the rules change, when the boundaries move, and when the unexpected occurs."

Indeed. It is too easy to fall into dull patterns and ruts. Life needs a touch of chaos to help make it interesting
Old 09-28-2001, 08:27 PM   #54
Silver Cheetah
Fzoul Chembryl

[/b][/QUOTE]
What I am saying is that you may want to accept the possibility that our actions today may have unknown consequences in the future, and the results of the chains of causality may not be what we would expect.

"Good" and "evil" are easy concepts to define by extremes or archetypes as in God -v- Satan. They are not so easy to define when the extremes are removed.

Oh, and was the spider as big as this

[/B][/QUOTE]

Well, yes, but I have a very clear idea of what I like, and what I like is fresh air, (not stinky with fumes - which is why I ride bicycle), nice fresh green grass, clear water (not with yellow foam in like Brighton sea sometimes) and food that tastes nice. I'm as self interested as the next person, I guess, but my self interest involves living in nature that is gorgeous and beautiful, and not in a rubbish tip. So I'm not really interested what happens in a billion years time, I'm interested in my quality of life, and that of my children and their children. (When I say my children, I don't have any - what I mean is everybody's children!

And yes, it was bigger!!

------------------

Old 09-28-2001, 08:28 PM   #55
DragonMage
20th Level Warrior

Quote:
Originally posted by Absynthe:
Heya, DragonMage, I lucked out for special days, my birthday is May 8, close to Beltaine, my anniversary is Samhaine, and our coven formed on Lughnassad, which is now our family day every year. I'm just a party-boy.
OOOH! That is so neat! Question for you...were you raised in the Wiccan faith or did it 'find' you?

------------------

The day we stop learning is the day we start dying!(c)

Owner/operator of the Evil Petting Zoo and devout member of the HADB clan.
Commander of the Dragon Fleet, IW Peacekeeping Force
Sublime Sister of the Illuminati - may the Light shine forever!
Mage extraordinair.
Occasional minion to Gwhanos the Fluffy

Hopeless Romantic *sigh*

"Allright! We'll call it a draw."
Old 09-28-2001, 08:37 PM   #56
DragonMage
20th Level Warrior

Quote:
Originally posted by Diogenes Of Pumpkintown:
"For me, life is most exciting when the rules change, when the boundaries move, and when the unexpected occurs."

Indeed. It is too easy to fall into dull patterns and ruts. Life needs a touch of chaos to help make it interesting
OOH! Diogenes (look, I'm typing the whole blasted thing so you won't be an Italian god!) LOVE that quote and your statement!!!!

I just roll with the punches and make the best out of any situation which presents itself.

------------------

Mage extraordinair.

Hopeless Romantic *sigh*

Old 09-28-2001, 08:40 PM   #57
Silver Cheetah
Fzoul Chembryl

Quote:
Originally posted by DragonMage:
OOH! Diogenes (look, I'm typing the whole blasted thing so you won't be an Italian god!) LOVE that quote and your statement!!!!

I just roll with the punches and make the best out of any situation which presents itself.

An Italian god? (Cheetah pricks up ears). Wait up there, DragonMage!

I can think of worse things to be..... LOL

------------------

Old 09-28-2001, 08:41 PM   #58
Conan

Ritualism: The practice or observance of religious ritual. Well it seems to me that wiacca is what? People getting together for family and food? Reciting what is acceptable and clearing your mind. Thats religion right
Someone please give me a first hand experience here..please Anyone?

------------------
*\Conan/*

Old 09-28-2001, 08:43 PM   #59
Mouse
Ironworks Moderator

Quote:

Well, yes, but I have a very clear idea of what I like, and what I like is fresh air, (not stinky with fumes - which is why I ride bicycle), nice fresh green grass, clear water (not with yellow foam in like Brighton sea sometimes) and food that tastes nice. I'm as self interested as the next person, I guess, but my self interest involves living in nature that is gorgeous and beautiful, and not in a rubbish tip. So I'm not really interested what happens in a billion years time, I'm interested in my quality of life, and that of my children and their children. (When I say my children, I don't have any - what I mean is everybody's children!

And yes, it was bigger!!
And if that air that is "stinky with fumes" just happens to come from the ambulance that is taking a man who has just had a heart attack to hospital? And if that man who survives the heart attack just happens to be the doctor who diagnoses your childs life-threatening disease?

And if"yellow foam in like Brighton sea" is the byproduct of a petrochemical plant that produces the raw materials that allow for the synthesis of an insulin substitute that keeps alive a scientist who discovers a cure for cancer?

Sure, live in"nature that is gorgeous and beautiful, and not in a rubbish tip.", but remember, not everything may be as obvious or simple as it appears.

------------------
Regards

Mouse

[This message has been edited by Mouse (edited 09-28-2001).]
Old 09-28-2001, 08:47 PM   #60
DragonMage
20th Level Warrior

Quote:
Originally posted by Conan:
Ritualism: The practice or observance of religious ritual. Well it seems to me that wiacca is what? People getting together for family and food? Reciting what is acceptable and clearing your mind. Thats religion right
Someone please give me a first hand experience here..please Anyone?
Come on, Absynthe! Where are you??? Conan needs answers and you, so far, seem one of the best to elucidate from a puritanical Wiccan view.

haha - puritanical...Wiccan...what an odd combination!!!!

------------------

Mage extraordinair.

Hopeless Romantic *sigh*