Visit the Ironworks Gaming Website Email the Webmaster Graphics Library Rules and Regulations Help Support Ironworks Forum with a Donation to Keep us Online - We rely totally on Donations from members Donation goal Meter

Ironworks Gaming Radio

Ironworks Gaming Forum

Go Back   Ironworks Gaming Forum > Ironworks Gaming Forums > Neverwinter Nights 1 & 2 Also SoU & HotU Forum
FAQ Calendar Arcade Today's Posts Search

Old 01-06-2006, 07:23 PM   #1
Azred
Drow Priestess

Question Mark

I decided to give NWN one more try. I don't know why, but I could never get interested enough in this game to stick with it all the way through finding the four creatures in the city. [img]graemlins/1ponder.gif[/img] I plan on getting the expansions, too, to see if that helps improve my opinion of the game. We'll just have to see how it goes, I guess.

I think much of the disinterest has to do with the fact that I am not very fond of 3rd edition rules. That is doubly strange because I have always liked the GURPS system, and 3rd edition is AD&Ds attempt to be GURPS. [img]graemlins/beigesmilewinkgrin.gif[/img]

Right now I have a fighter 2/mage 1, so I am very early in the game.

No matter how thinly you slice it, it's still bologna.
Azred is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2006, 07:39 PM   #2
Sir Degrader
Thoth - Egyptian God of Wisdom

I'm in your boat, I found HoTU to be much better, but the whole "3d graphics" and such kinda ruined it after the amazing 2d graphics of the Infinity games.
Sir Degrader is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2006, 06:23 AM   #3
robertthebard
Xanathar Thieves Guild

I was an avid fan of the Infinity games, but now, after 3 years of online NWN's, I can't seem to play them any more. The best thing about NWN's isn't the single player campaigns, but playing online. At least as far as I'm concerned. In fact, the Infinity games are what brought me to this forum in the first place.
robertthebard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2006, 07:38 PM   #4
Azred
Drow Priestess

Question Mark

I'm not much of an online gamer. I played online IWD once, and had fun doing so, but normally I don't mess with online gaming. I suppose that is one of NWN's strong points, though. Oh, well. I'll see how my latest attempt to make it through the city goes.

Old 01-07-2006, 09:43 PM   #5
Variol (Farseer) Elmwood
Jack Burton

There's definatly a love-hate thing with this game. There are some really stupid things, mostly game mechanics, which really hurt the fun. Like saving before opening a chest you know will blow up in your face. When you reload, your summoned creatures are standing right there, even though you didn't save the game that way.

Some of the other aspects od the game are really good though. Like randon items in chests etc. and the combat is really nice to watch.

Oh, and for them what don't know, I've only been playing about a week myself.
Old 01-08-2006, 12:38 AM   #6
ZFR
Legion Symbol

Quote:
Originally posted by Variol (Farseer) Elmwood:

Some of the other aspects od the game are really good though. Like randon items in chests etc.
Well, that is nice, but what I didn't like is that in every chest you have to find something. Kind of stupid. Especially when you keep finding gold/gems in the barrels in a city which is supposedly suffering from poverty.
Old 01-08-2006, 05:54 AM   #7
Variol (Farseer) Elmwood
Jack Burton

Very true! I've often had a laugh about that! Maybe that's why the designers did it?

[ 01-08-2006, 05:55 AM: Message edited by: Variol (Farseer) Elmwood ]
Old 01-08-2006, 08:29 AM   #8
robertthebard
Xanathar Thieves Guild

There were a couple of things about chests that really bothered me, such as being able to loot someone's house, while they are standing right there. Not possible in the Infinity games, well, it was, but there was a chance you'd get caught. There are a couple of chests/containers that are "monitored", in HotU, but that's about it.
Another was Paladins looting chests, with no alignment hit. I could see a justification, if said Pally was looting stuff in an Evil Stronghold, but to just be able to do it while walking down the street?
robertthebard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2006, 08:14 AM   #9
Nightwing
Baaz Draconian

I know in SoU I would get an alignment hit with my lawful good Monk. After the third one I got a message If I keep going I will loose the ability to be monk because I was doing things contrary to my alignment.
Old 01-10-2006, 07:50 PM   #10
Azred
Drow Priestess

Question Mark

No game is perfect. However, thieves mugging people on the street when every third barrel has 5 gold in it is particularly funny.