Visit the Ironworks Gaming Website Email the Webmaster Graphics Library Rules and Regulations Help Support Ironworks Forum with a Donation to Keep us Online - We rely totally on Donations from members Donation goal Meter

Ironworks Gaming Radio

Ironworks Gaming Forum

Go Back   Ironworks Gaming Forum > Ironworks Gaming Classics > Wizards & Warriors Forum
FAQ Calendar Arcade Today's Posts Search

Old 01-31-2001, 03:39 AM   #1
Alira
Elite Waterdeep Guard

My 3 fighter characters are just about to reach barbarian level 8. I plan on taking each of them through paladin, samurai and ninja (or is that changing classes too many times). Currently I am in the middle of the serpent temple so the only role ascenscion quests I can do are the ranger and paladin ones. Is the ranger worthwhile to pursue? Currently the only one with vine magic is my priest. Is one person enough for it. I suppose I could have my wizard eventually change to a ranger if more vine magic is needed. If I should skip the rangers for my fighters, at what level should I start changing them into paladins?

Alira
Alira is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2001, 03:55 AM   #2
carg
The Magister

In principle 1 person vine is enough, but then again a second is not wasted.
I would prefer some diversity in my party, so I would probably do 1 ranger and 2 paladins.
Don't worry too much; you can't really do it wrong. It's more a question of taste, playing style etc, then that there is a best way to do it.
And you can always play the game a second time to try out the things you haven't tried now.
carg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2001, 08:45 AM   #3
Belegran

Personally, I'd skip the Ranger and go straight for the Paladin. Healing magic is important, and Bows are quite useless.

I got my Ranger up to level 13, increased her Bow skill to level 8, and tried a variety of arrows. She missed fairly often, unless I used some +1/+2 Hit arrows (which get expensive), and she didn't do a whole lot of damage when she hit. I eventually gave her a sword and shield, and let her beat things up that way. =) She actually did more damage and hit more often with a Long Sword +1 than with Torin's Bow and those expensive-as-hell Bushi Dojo arrows.

But maybe it was just bad luck. It's ultimately up to you.
Old 01-31-2001, 01:03 PM   #4
Sazerac
Ironworks Moderator

Again: the main reason to get Ranger is to get the very lucrative Fletchery skill (which I think you get at Warrior's Guild level 4 or 5, I forget which). With this skill, your character constantly makes arrows as long as they're in his/her inventory. Give them a Dragon Arrow (Bushi Guild quest 1) and have them start duplicating them...presto, endless supply of Dragon Arrows. Make enough to where you can sell them; 45 arrows sell for around 70,000 GP ...if blessed, they sell for even more. (Bless one arrow way up, then start duplicating them.) Remember to always keep 1 or 2 arrows on hand to replicate.

Best idea: change to Ranger when you've ascended to the appropriate Warrior guild level, and get fletchery, then change to something else.

-Sazerac
Sazerac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2001, 01:05 PM   #5
Sazerac
Ironworks Moderator

P.S. The arrows must be in one of your weapons slots to be able to replicate; otherwise, it won't work.

-Saz
Old 01-31-2001, 01:33 PM   #6
Lily the Ranger

Well, of course Ranger is worth it! Why not do one Ranger and two paladins?
Old 01-31-2001, 03:28 PM   #7
Alira
Elite Waterdeep Guard

Thanks for the advice. I think I will do as you suggest and change the fighters to one ranger and 2 paladins. As I only have 2 raptor eggs, this way I can save the other egg for my wizard as I do want my magic users to have access to every school.

Alira
Alira is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2001, 06:02 PM   #8
Sazerac
Ironworks Moderator

Alira: if you're refering to the requirements for the Warlock quest, it has to be a Spider's egg, not a raptor's egg. Sorry! Also the skull has to be a Skeleton skull (not the rat skull you find in the Crypt).

-Saz
Old 01-31-2001, 08:33 PM   #9
Magnus

I switched my Barbarian to a Ranger. Then I sent him out alone to build up levels fast. If you can be far enough back when shooting at enemies he is great. Even with three apponants like ratlings and rogues I could take them out before I got into hand to hand. It isn't as good with the whole party 'cos everybody gets their turn. (maybe I'll have to try all Rangers). Has anybody tried this 'cos mine was very effective with the bow.