Visit the Ironworks Gaming Website Email the Webmaster Graphics Library Rules and Regulations Help Support Ironworks Forum with a Donation to Keep us Online - We rely totally on Donations from members Donation goal Meter

Ironworks Gaming Radio

Ironworks Gaming Forum

Go Back   Ironworks Gaming Forum > Ironworks Gaming Classics > Icewind Dale | Heart of Winter | Icewind Dale II Forum
FAQ Calendar Arcade Today's Posts Search

Old 05-14-2001, 12:51 AM   #1
Caspar
Welcomed New User

I had to reinstall IWD so I could play HOW. After the full install, I imported my 'mpsave' folder into IWD and could see the games in the 'load game' screen but got an error when I tried to load it.

then I reinstalled IWD , created a junk party and did a quick save. There was a fold named 'mpsave' to which I added one of my old games into it, but still didn't work.

Last thing I tried was also importing the 'character' folder, but that created an even bigger error (some assertion error). I couldn't even start the game! Then by deleting the 'temp', 'cache' and tempsave folder I could get to the savegame screen but still couldn't load a game.

Compounding this is the fact that since I finished IWD a few months ago, I can't remember what patch version the game was when I finished, and wonder if trying to import games/char data from a patched game into an unpatched (reinstall) is the problem. But then I read that if you have HOW installed (like I do) that you should NOT patch the game. Arrrrgh!!!

How do I fix this. I really just want to play the expansion with my old characters. Thanks!!

Caspar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2001, 07:45 AM   #2
Wulfere
Red Wizard of Thay

Perhaps if you named your old saved game file the same as the junk party save and then pasted it into the folder and let it rewrite the save. This seems odd but it did work for me with another Interplay game. That game just would not recognize the saved game file. The other thing you might try is re-creating your characters with Dale Keeper, which you can download from this site. Sorry I couldn't be of more help.

------------------
Wulfere is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2001, 09:15 AM   #3
Father Bronze
Baaz Draconian

You also might try copying all of the files in one of your old save game folders into one of the new save game folders.

- Go through the junk save folder. Delete all of the files in it.
- Open the old game's save folder. Copy all of the files to the junk save folder.

I can't think of anything else.

If you want, you can e-mail me a zipped old save game and I can see if I can load it into my IWD and HOW games. You might have to go back and reinstall HOW and/or IWD.

Not that it matters much, but why did you have to reinstall IWD to install HOW?

I had IWD on my computer for several weeks before I installed HOW. I didn't have to uninstall anything from IWD. I mention this, not to rub it in, but in the hopes that others who buy HOW can figure out how to install the game in the most efficient way.

------------------

Most Subtle Official Straightman of the Laughing Hyenas -- Grammarian Brigade.
Father Bronze is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2001, 04:32 PM   #4
Leafy
Zhentarim Guard

instead of removing the mpsave and character files when you reinstall IWD, just make a copy of them for backup purposes. As far as i have seen; if you choose to reinstall IWD over the existing directory or upgrade to HOW, it will leave the mpsave and character files as they were. copying the directories out and back in is extraneous in this case and probably lead to the errors you're having.
Leafy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2001, 02:11 AM   #5
Caspar
Welcomed New User

I had to reinstall IWD because I'd taken it off after I finished it.

I got it running, and managed to import my characters. I decided to try to import the characters even if I couldn't get a saved game to run in IWD. It worked!!

The only thing is the performance of HOW is far below BG1 BG2 and IWD. It doesn't even matter if I'm in software mode or open GL. I have a pretty good P3 900mghz system with a GEForce 2. What's up with that? It's really terrible on Burial isle....
Caspar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2001, 08:55 AM   #6
Father Bronze
Baaz Draconian

I noticed my HOW lagging on the Burial Isle too.

The last time I played this through, there were no problems. This time I have a Cleric turning undead almost the whole time. I think this is what has caused me a lot of lag. There are so many undead on that map that the computer needs to constantly calculate who is running away and how far they can get.

------------------

Most Subtle Official Straightman of the Laughing Hyenas -- Grammarian Brigade.
Father Bronze is offline   Reply With Quote