Visit the Ironworks Gaming Website Email the Webmaster Graphics Library Rules and Regulations Help Support Ironworks Forum with a Donation to Keep us Online - We rely totally on Donations from members Donation goal Meter

Ironworks Gaming Radio

Ironworks Gaming Forum

Go Back   Ironworks Gaming Forum > Ironworks Gaming Classics > Icewind Dale | Heart of Winter | Icewind Dale II Forum
FAQ Calendar Arcade Today's Posts Search

Old 05-09-2001, 05:09 PM   #11
Gaelic
Elminster

THe only thing I don't like about crossbows is the lack od ammo availability. You pick up tons of arrows throughout the game, but few bolts. The Electricity ones were cool though.

I need to try the summon series of spells. I still have not gone that route.

------------------
Gaelic
Gaelic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2001, 08:59 PM   #12
Wulfere
Red Wizard of Thay

Monster Summoning spells are nice. They can take the heat off of your characters for a few seconds. They can also be used to spring traps. Unfortunately I have noticed thay they dissappear if you pass into a new area. Even if it is just another room away like the caverns under the statues of the Dwarven and Elven kings in the first level of Dorn's Deep.

------------------
Wulfere is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2001, 06:30 AM   #13
WOLFGIR
Bastet - Egyptian Cat Goddess

Quote:
Originally posted by Father Bronze:
I've never used X-bows. I tend to assume they are slow. Some in IWD seem pretty good, but I have a natural affinity to longbows myself. Maybe my bias comes from the days of PnP D&D when I played Elven Archers.

Are crossbows effective?

Some, i use them for psychologicla effects on myself and my pen and paper days (There are still some left!)
i use them to get one shot before advancing into meee combat. They´re slow (except of speed) and well, due to some bolts they´re quite good. Slaying, biting and so on. They do pack some ounch but are never the less less useful than a bow due to rate of fire.

I prefer Composite bows! or longbows. (I too liked elven archers and mainly wanted to play a ranger bot unfortunately i always got stuck with the bard.. perhaps thats why i like to play a neutral fighter that whoops around =) ) hehe sorry for the carry-away there..

The X-bow of accuracy is good for characters that never hit s anything too! hehe..

------------------

WOLF WINS EVERY FIGHT BUT ONE, AND IN THAT ONE, HE DIES
WOLFGIR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2001, 04:36 PM   #14
Fljotsdale
Thoth - Egyptian God of Wisdom

I LOVE ranged weapons! I make sure all my team can use 'em. It is especially important for Mages and Thieves to have Ranged attack, due to lower health points, but good for all.

------------------
Smile! Life is too short for bitching!

Fljotsdale
Fljotsdale is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2001, 09:00 AM   #15
texhorse
Elite Waterdeep Guard

RE Monster Summoning spells - The monsters do disappear. Try casting "Create Undead" instead. Skellybobs and Zombies are weak, but they still take the heat off your party. Give them a try.
texhorse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2001, 02:14 PM   #16
Axterix
Manshoon

Quote:
Originally posted by texhorse:
RE Monster Summoning spells - The monsters do disappear. Try casting "Create Undead" instead. Skellybobs and Zombies are weak, but they still take the heat off your party. Give them a try.

Nah, avoid them. Not only are they weak, but they stay around... in the area you are currently in, they won't follow from map to map. There is a summoning limit of 6 critters. This means that if you enter the same area from another location, those pesky undead count against your limit and could therefore stop you from summoning as many critters as you want to. Higher level summonings stick around longer and are healed by the bard war chant of sith. The lower level ones are best cast only when you need them, as their duration tends to be short.
Axterix is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2001, 04:40 PM   #17
Larry_OHF
Ironworks Moderator

I usually use ranged weapons on the party members that I want to keep away from the combat area, and they usually will pick a target and stay on him until termination. I use my stong fighters up close and personal with the biggest one of them all, and have one ranged weapon spearing him from the rear at a distance. The other ranged weapons look for those weaker, but still annoying little baddies. That usually wipes out the screen of all the debris, so I can consentrate on the other bigger problems.
(It is also a good way to get a fighter out of harms way, if he is dying, yet keep him in the battle)

------------------

Larry, a Loyal Guardian of the OHF
Larry_OHF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2001, 08:41 AM   #18
WOLFGIR
Bastet - Egyptian Cat Goddess

Quote:
Originally posted by Larry_OHF:
I usually use ranged weapons on the party members that I want to keep away from the combat area, and they usually will pick a target and stay on him until termination. I use my stong fighters up close and personal with the biggest one of them all, and have one ranged weapon spearing him from the rear at a distance. The other ranged weapons look for those weaker, but still annoying little baddies. That usually wipes out the screen of all the debris, so I can consentrate on the other bigger problems.
(It is also a good way to get a fighter out of harms way, if he is dying, yet keep him in the battle)

True!

I prefer the range attacks to. I usually have a hasted, or invisible thief going up to get the a sneak/backstab attack and then run back to the company waiting with range weapon all save one stopper that the enemies starts to attacking. All the others then starts to hoose em down with arrows, bolts, slingstones and magic and that poor fughter whoops ass as a maniac

------------------

WOLF WINS EVERY FIGHT BUT ONE, AND IN THAT ONE, HE DIES
WOLFGIR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2001, 09:39 AM   #19
Gaelic
Elminster

I'll have to try that tactic. Is it effective in the final...building, or does the fighter tend to get hammered too fast?

------------------
Gaelic
Gaelic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2001, 11:03 AM   #20
Father Bronze
Baaz Draconian

Quote:
Originally posted by Gaelic:
I'll have to try that tactic. Is it effective in the final...building, or does the fighter tend to get hammered too fast?

Without much spoiling . . .
ranged weapons don't work very well in the final battle.

If you need further clarification, let's start another thread so as not to have spoilers in this thread. This discussion has been very good for helping with strategy, without spoiling the plot for those who haven't gotten very far.

------------------

Most Subtle Official Straightman of the Laughing Hyenas -- Grammarian Brigade.
Father Bronze is offline   Reply With Quote