Visit the Ironworks Gaming Website Email the Webmaster Graphics Library Rules and Regulations Help Support Ironworks Forum with a Donation to Keep us Online - We rely totally on Donations from members Donation goal Meter

Ironworks Gaming Radio

Ironworks Gaming Forum

Go Back   Ironworks Gaming Forum > Ironworks Gaming Classics > Baldurs Gate & Tales of the Sword Coast
FAQ Calendar Arcade Today's Posts Search

Old 10-06-2005, 04:09 PM   #1
CerebroDragon
Red Wizard of Thay

3D SuperBall Champion Asteroids Champion Battle of Helms Deep Champion Moon Patrol Champion Pac Man Champion
Spy Hunter Champion Super Mario Mushroom Champion
Now that I'm back into the flow of things, I can get back into planning my party through TOSC and Darkside. Being my fourth outing through the game, I'm going for a slightly more unusual party configuration. Here's how my previous games went:

First time: (Vanilla BG)
PC (Dwarven neutral good Fighter)
Ajantis (I got sick of him by the end of the game!)
Khalid (The unlikely hero does a decent job when kitted well)
Jaheira
Branwen
Imoen (No mage)

Second Time (With TOSC but didn't complete DurlagsT)
PC (Human lawful neutral Bard)
Kivan (the deathly arrow machine himself!)
Coran (really enjoyed using him)
Faldorn (another unlikely hero!)
Jaheira
Edwin (and so my love for the big red guy was born)

Third time
PC (Human true neutral Druid)
Kagain (Altruistic morons!)
Shar Teel
Viconia
Safana
Edwin

So this time around, I'm playing a female chaotic neutral Necromancer, in order to hopefully really enjoy the luxuries of the later spell levels offered by DSoTSC and also because of the nice challenge I'd imagine playing a mage would bring with it. I'm going through party members like a hot knife through butter at the mo': Monty died by Tancred's Hand, and I played a careless role in Khalid's death. I did Minsc' quest but realised that I had no spare place for his witch and promptly sent her into a corner to be exploded by rebounding chain lightning. I dropped Jaheira for Branwen, after the former was complimenting Kivan much too regularly for my taste (your candour is appreciated) I also got a bit sick of Imoen again (or perhaps is the sirine like calls of Safana that I heard) and also wanted a less potent thief/more interesting character for possible interactions.

So having completed the Nashkel mines, this is how I'm currently looking:

Minsc (going to swap him for Coran for the Safana/Coran interactions)
Kivan (the cornerstone of my defense)
Safana (considering swapping her for Tiax or Skie in the long future!)
Garrick (Brave brave, Sir Garrick)
Branwen (She's hanging with us until we meet Yeslick...haven't tried him much yet)
PC Necromancer

Although I've found Garrick to be useful and fun at times, I'm left with the feeling that he's not quite pulling his weight and wonder whether to try replacing him with Eldoth. This would add some spice to the conversations, I'm sure. However, Garrick's penchant for Monty Python has thus far kept him pretty well solid in the lineup, since I'd never really used him before.
I can also recall quite clearly reading old posts of the various people who have said that "Eldoth sucks". (Do they argue if you have them both?)
So any suggestions and preferencs and wacky stories/experiences on Garrick and Eldoth are welcome. As are indeed, other ideas to enhance the slightly offbeat nature of my party this time around.

Cheers,
Cerebrodragon

[ 10-06-2005, 04:22 PM: Message edited by: CerebroDragon ]
- Brilhasti Ap Tarj
CerebroDragon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2005, 04:32 PM   #2
krunchyfrogg
Red Dragon

I think Garrick has better stats, and since you like his banters, why not keep him?
Old 10-07-2005, 01:29 AM   #3
SixOfSpades
Dracolisk

You WANT to get Eldoth and Safana in the same room. Oh, yes you do.

ALL Bards suck, by the way. *love*
Old 10-07-2005, 02:12 AM   #4
krunchyfrogg
Red Dragon

Ooooo, I forgot about that! Yeah, dump Garrick! [img]smile.gif[/img]
Old 10-07-2005, 02:31 PM   #5
ElfBane
Mephistopheles

You want to go thru the game with TWO bards???!!?
You must be a masochist!

Iraq and Afghan fatalities: 6,855 and counting. Silence IS consent.
ElfBane is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2005, 04:50 PM   #6
Flaming Fist Enforcer
Drow Warrior

I don't think he does. He asked which ONE he should run. Meaning that he would leave the other and have only ONE bard in his group.
Old 10-08-2005, 03:09 PM   #7
CerebroDragon
Red Wizard of Thay

3D SuperBall Champion Asteroids Champion Battle of Helms Deep Champion Moon Patrol Champion Pac Man Champion
Heh Heh, ok, thanks Six. I'll keep Eldoth in mind for a short trial run then just so he can spend some time with Safana.

I've just finished up the basilisk and larswoods areas and picked up Shar-Teel for Minsc as a nice mini cameo for until we get to Coran. Although I am tempted to try an all female group...
Minsc reacted rather belligerently to Safana's please 'massage my toes' line and so my PC felt it was best we let him go.

In the meantime, I bought the light crossbow of speed just for Garrick and his performances have picked up somewhat. He can backup tank in a fix when I use mirror-image, but he's esentially in the back line. He's a bit too quiet generally and a bit petulant. Are there any additional quests/plot parts containing his dialogue?
I'd only consider having two bards in the promise of further interactions/party arguments. I'm not really caring for party-power, there's always strategies to win battles with lesser parties. I'm more interested in party experimentation this time around.

I've also experienced a couple more odd DSoTSC glitches. Strange broken dialogue in the basilisk area (orcs appearing with the Jet'Laya meeting dialogue). Also Kagain reappeared in Beregost where I initially dropped him for Minsc - I always assumed that when you drop him or when he leaves, he's gone for good. Peldvale shall be next...

[ 10-08-2005, 03:20 PM: Message edited by: CerebroDragon ]
- Brilhasti Ap Tarj
Old 10-09-2005, 01:20 AM   #8
SixOfSpades
Dracolisk

If the NPC is happy with the party's Reputation when you boot them from the party, they'll stay where you left them. If they leave of their own accord because of Reputation or your not finishing their quest, or you boot them when they don't like the way you've been running the party, you'll never see them again.
Old 10-11-2005, 03:39 PM   #9
CerebroDragon
Red Wizard of Thay

Another little party oriented game update:

After conquering Chapter 4 in very enjoyable style with Coran and Kivan in potent duel shooting form (poor ol' Davaeorn never got a looksee) We picked up Yeslick, dropped off ol' trusty Branny and backtracked a little to clear some more areas and pick up Eldoth for his trial period.

We then moved on to Gullykin and the Firewine Ruins - with somewhat distastrous results. The potentially nasty Kobold Commandoes now in DsotSC instead of wielding the usual fire arrows, come armed to the yipper with Arrows of Detonation.
I kid you not. It was rather frightening walking into the main small dungeon room to the SE in the Gullykin dungeon to meet a horde of these little kamikaze kangaroo dogs. I made quick save after quicksave, but could barely penetrate the room, let alone clear it of their ever increasing penchant for blasto-rama, killing several of their own kind in each attack wave. So the party snarled "we shall return!" and promptly left the dungeon for the march onward to Baldur's Gate.

It didn't take long for me to realise that this pompous pretentious fop of a Bard (Eldoth) wasn't going to be as effective as even naive little Garrick. The transition wasn't smooth, since I had Garrick going with the crossbow of speed and Eldoth evidently prefers bows, going by his proficiencies and semi-useless poison arrow creating ability. So far he has been fairly quiet, but there have been a couple of moments:

Safana: You're a very sexy man.
Kivan: (puts his head in) Your candour is appreciated.
Eldoth: You're a very sexy woman, I'd like to get to know you better - care to join me for some wine?
Safana: I so like a good compliment.

It seems Saf didn't see Kiv's pointy elven ears, though Eldoth obviously likes to think the compliment was directed at him.

I'm guessing there's more to come yet. I'll hang on to Eldoth for a bit longer, but methinks he'll be getting booted after we fulfill his quest for either Tiax (need a bit of ego-mania) or one of the DsoTSC npcs.
Current party:
Yeslick
Kivan
Coran
Safana
Eldoth
Eva Midnight (PC necromancer)
- Brilhasti Ap Tarj
Old 10-11-2005, 10:16 PM   #10
Azred
Drow Priestess

Question Mark

It doesn't matter who you take with you, because spending time with Safana is always a good thing. [img]graemlins/thumbsup.gif[/img] [img]graemlins/petard.gif[/img]

No matter how thinly you slice it, it's still bologna.
Azred is offline   Reply With Quote