Visit the Ironworks Gaming Website Email the Webmaster Graphics Library Rules and Regulations Help Support Ironworks Forum with a Donation to Keep us Online - We rely totally on Donations from members Donation goal Meter

Ironworks Gaming Radio

Ironworks Gaming Forum

Go Back   Ironworks Gaming Forum > Ironworks Gaming Forums > General Discussion > General Conversation Archives (11/2000 - 01/2005)
FAQ Calendar Arcade Today's Posts Search

Old 10-03-2001, 07:43 AM   #51
Epona
Zartan

Kaz, FWIW, I don't think you spam. Having a chatty conversation is not spamming, but just posting something pointless for the sake of it IS spamming.

Examples of spam:
250's 'stealth posts' (ie. a completely blank post with no text)
A post with just a smiley and no text
Posting just to say 'me too'

On the issue of Goodnight threads, why don't we just have one thread at a time for ALL goodnight/goodbye kind of posts - rather than different people starting new threads all the time. Everyone can use that thread if they want to say cheerio, then a new one is started when it reaches 200 posts. Good idea?

------------------

Time is an illusion. Lunchtime doubly so.

Epona of The Laughing Hyenas
Proud winner of the 'Most Useless Post 250 Has Ever Seen' Award 2001. "I'd just like to thank my friends and family, without whom none of this would have been possible..."
Old 10-03-2001, 07:47 AM   #52
Lioness
Jack Burton

Yeah, I agree with Epona. If you want to say goodnight, just dig up an old Goodnight thread. Actually, I just say goodnight at the Cafe, since if anybody is looking for me, they should check there.

------------------

Lil' Angel
Sword Saint and Enchantress of the HADB Clan
Waitress at Cloudy's Cafe
Serving Assistant in the Promised Land
Bestest Mate of the Cyan Knight
Lady of Jerome, The Fallen Paladin
Honored Friend of the Warrior SSJ4Sephiroth, and the Arch-Mage Jafin
PeaceKeeping Force, Intelligence Division
Old 10-03-2001, 07:48 AM   #53
Link
Jack Burton

Having a chatty conversation is not spam.. OK, I can live with that, but how would you explain 1500 posts in two months!!!! Definitely spamming Epona, my humble horse!!
*laughs out loud* Think Zelda style, love, then you'll understand

------------------
I am committed to restore your faith in extreme violence...

Link
Overlord Executioner, Slayer of Fluffed Beings
Member of Clan HADB
Supreme Warrior of Myst
Official Entertainer in Cloudy's Cafe
Old 10-03-2001, 07:59 AM   #54
AzureWolf
20th Level Warrior

Quote:
Originally posted by Epona:
Examples of spam:
250's 'stealth posts' (ie. a completely blank post with no text)
Ah but you must admit they are hilarious

------------------

"I was born of darkness. My fathers eyes closed before mine opened. I am not of this world or the other, and I have the right to be what I am..."

Overlord of all that I behold and anything that i happen to not notice either.

Founding Hamlet of the HADB.
Old 10-03-2001, 08:48 AM   #55
WOLFGIR
Bastet - Egyptian Cat Goddess

Hmm, well, no matter what the rank says, I still consider myself a bunny tearing and wabbit hunting wolf of the Ironworks.. The occasional glimpse at the pictures to the left is well, pleasing eyecandy.

THough, what I miss the most is that there isn´t a :wolfgrin: smiley here yet..

The antispam issue is a sound one, personally I try to add well not always something that means something serious, but at least something remotely funny...??

Hmm, well you know me, when I open my japper it´s hard to get it shout!

------------------

Be vevvy qwiet..I´m hunting wabbits...
Wolfgirs lair
once-upon-a-paper

[This message has been edited by WOLFGIR (edited 10-03-2001).]
Old 10-03-2001, 09:01 AM   #56
Ziroc

"Good-Night" type threads are fine, but again, keep them limited to 1 thread, and keep using it until it reaches 150 or so posts, then I'll close it, and you can simply create a 'part 2' thread.

Cool?

PS: Kaz, don't worry about posting! You now know what IS considered spam, and know the 'boundaries' now .

Thanks Guys,

------------------
Ziroc™
Ironworks Webmaster
www.tgeweb.com/ironworks

Old 10-03-2001, 09:02 AM   #57
Link
Jack Burton

I suspect your defending Kaz now, Ziroc!! Unfair!!

------------------
I am committed to restore your faith in extreme violence...

Link
Overlord Executioner, Slayer of Fluffed Beings
Member of Clan HADB
Supreme Warrior of Myst
Official Entertainer in Cloudy's Cafe
Old 10-03-2001, 10:10 AM   #58
Memnoch
Ironworks Moderator

Quote:
Originally posted by Silver Cheetah:
Ramon, I totally can relate to your post here. Already started wondering what I've written that is spam, and what isn't.... Please god don't say we have to all be serious all the time? There are many things to get serious about, and god knows I'm one that does, but I like a little light relief, and the forum has been very cathartic for me on that front. However, I have been asked not to take threads 'off topic' and I do see why it might not be a completely useful thing to do. However, once or twice I have used it as a method of diffusing situations which have become uncomfortable for some reason...)

To post or not to post? To respond or not... I understand the need for rules, but not TOO many, please?

Oh well, I'll suppose the only thing to do is carry on as normal. I expect someone will tell me if I'm doing something inappropriate.

You're fine, SC. I think the key issue here is SELF-CONTROL and MODERATION. Everyone spams once in a while, but you need to exercise good judgment on when "enough is enough" for one night. Think of the thread you are posting on - is the tone serious or jovial? Think of being at a party with a bunch of different people. You don't play the fool all the time, and you don't act serious all the time (hopefully). Commonsense should tell you if you've stepped over the line, and in case it doesn't, one of us will. Nicely, of course.

------------------
Old 10-03-2001, 10:33 AM   #59
Epona
Zartan

Quote:
Originally posted by Link:
Definitely spamming Epona, my humble horse!!
*laughs out loud* Think Zelda style, love, then you'll understand

*sigh* I guess I'll never be able to shake off the inevitable Zelda references! But I have learnt to live with them!... Afraid to say I never played the game, but of course the horse reference is still meaningful!

------------------

Time is an illusion. Lunchtime doubly so.

Epona of The Laughing Hyenas
Proud winner of the 'Most Useless Post 250 Has Ever Seen' Award 2001. "I'd just like to thank my friends and family, without whom none of this would have been possible..."
Old 10-03-2001, 02:10 PM   #60
Fljotsdale
Thoth - Egyptian God of Wisdom

bump