Visit the Ironworks Gaming Website Email the Webmaster Graphics Library Rules and Regulations Help Support Ironworks Forum with a Donation to Keep us Online - We rely totally on Donations from members Donation goal Meter

Ironworks Gaming Radio

Ironworks Gaming Forum

Go Back   Ironworks Gaming Forum > Ironworks Gaming Forums > Baldurs Gate II: Shadows of Amn & Throne of Bhaal > Baldurs Gate II Archives
FAQ Calendar Arcade Today's Posts Search

Old 06-01-2001, 02:13 PM   #1
AzureWolf
20th Level Warrior

I have noticed a lot of people on the board when they think of beating enemies and so on that are actually not in the game they still refer to things from the game, e.g spells, weapons, armour. I was just wondering how many of you actually know anything of Toril or the AD&D settings and stats and other stuff out of the game? Because remember the game is very limited in things that it uses and there are a lot more things out there So post here if you want to learn more about the settings of games such as BG2 and IWD rather than the games themselves. And also ppl post here who do know about AD&D and just want to tell the others a bit about it

------------------

"I was born of darkness. My fathers eyes closed before mine opened. I am not of this world or the other, and I have the right to be what I am..."

"I've put my trust in you, pushed as far as I can go. For all this theres only one thing you should know....."
Old 06-01-2001, 02:30 PM   #2
ShadowUK

*bump*
Old 06-01-2001, 03:13 PM   #3
Neb
Account deleted by Request

I know nothing of the forgotten realms except the Elminster is a munchkin and Drizzt is a real strong guy, and a bit of knowledge about 4 or 5 about the gods, about the AD&D game itself, I have often been a DM even though I am still a bit of a newbie at it, I've only ever played 2nd edition and I won't be playing 3rd edition, I am just going to wait it out till 4th edition to see if they fix it by then, because in my opinion 3rd edition is kinda messed up, I rarely play AD&D these days though, it is so hard to find anyone to play with and even harder to find a decent DM, *sigh*, I wish I had someone to play with.
Old 06-01-2001, 03:14 PM   #4
Grand-Ranger
Galvatron

Location: Everywhere I wanna go its already where I am,cause I am already there
I play and read DND all the time (still,even though I am still young). I just dont see why anyone would by a game about a systyem they have never played,or how there even intrested in it (no offence to the people who havent played,this is only me talking). I mean,i would never go out and by a Alterniy game or a Shaddowrun game. Much less join a board about the game
Old 06-01-2001, 03:17 PM   #5
Neb
Account deleted by Request

I know nothing of the forgotten realms except the Elminster is a munchkin and Drizzt is a real strong guy, and a bit of knowledge about 4 or 5 about the gods, about the AD&D game itself, I have often been a DM even though I am still a bit of a newbie at it, I've only ever played 2nd edition and I won't be playing 3rd edition, I am just going to wait it out till 4th edition to see if they fix it by then, because in my opinion 3rd edition is kinda messed up, I rarely play AD&D these days though, it is so hard to find anyone to play with and even harder to find a decent DM, *sigh*, I wish I had someone to play with.
Old 06-01-2001, 03:17 PM   #6
Grand-Ranger
Galvatron

Location: Everywhere I wanna go its already where I am,cause I am already there
I play and read DND all the time (still,even though I am still young). I just dont see why anyone would by a game about a systyem they have never played,or how there even intrested in it (no offence to the people who havent played,this is only me talking). I mean,i would never go out and by a Alterniy game or a Shaddowrun game. Much less join a board about the game
Old 06-02-2001, 12:57 AM   #7
dulouz
Manshoon

Well, grand ranger.. i've only play a little p&p, but the first non-atari non-nintendo computer game i really got into was the Pool of Radiance. The whole idea behind a completely different world was intriguing. The manual had a history of Phlan and the Moonsea, and reading it was intersting all in itself. Plus imagining what all these weapons and monsters looked like. I didn't know anything about the rules system or whatnot, it was about 3 years after that game that i played a p&p game.

One of the main reasons these games are fun is that you don't have to know all the rules. And if you want such fine granularity, you can go play your own p&n game and take into consideration all the gazillions of rules that you want.

Just my opinion... you do what you do because its fun for you.
dulouz.
Old 06-02-2001, 02:22 AM   #8
arion windrider
Red Wizard of Thay

i played ad&d for awhile when i was younger heh heh .. forgotten realms is the best realm in terms of depth.. dragonlance was a close second.. elminster is considered one of the greatest mages ever.. in terms of d&d he is at least level 30, and considered one of mystra's chosen(immortality and spell immunity is some of the benefits) mystra is the goddess of magic in faerun.. bhaal is the former god of murder, in the time of the troubles, cyric killed bhaal and absorb his pantheon and others(bane and mykeral(spelling is off on that name),they were absorbed by cyric too.. cyric eventually got the pantheon from mask, god of thieves..boy i could go on and on .... if u wanna know more just email me.. i could help a little....

------------------
Swordmaster to the King of Riva.. ALL HAIL TO BELGARION KING OF RIVA
Old 06-02-2001, 04:51 AM   #9
Deddard
Elite Waterdeep Guard

Don't know anything about D&D or the Forgotten realm.
Why play if I know nothing about them? - started playing computer RPGs back on the Sega MegaDrive (first one was Rings of Power)- that got me interested.
Play other types of games as well, such as the Delta Force series.
RPGs tend to involve more thinking than many other genres, and prove to be real value for money. Some are poorly written, others like BG2 (the best I've played) are excellent. BG2 seems to be more realistic (in the context of a fantasy world anyway) than the earlier ones on the Sega. I still think back to characters requiring a leaf from the 'Fluffi tree of Gomez'!!
Will I get round to reading any books? who knows?
I don't necessarily need to know the backgrounds, but I'm happy to learn about them. I know nothing about being a special Forces soldier, but still play Delta Force.
I suppose a lot of people like myself got the spark for the fantasy worlds by reading The Lord of the Rings and other Tolkien books.
Old 06-02-2001, 05:30 PM   #10
Volourn
Manshoon

colour me "forgotten realms fanatic". My favorite world of all time - even better than earth... wink!wink!