Visit the Ironworks Gaming Website Email the Webmaster Graphics Library Rules and Regulations Help Support Ironworks Forum with a Donation to Keep us Online - We rely totally on Donations from members Donation goal Meter

Ironworks Gaming Radio

Ironworks Gaming Forum

Go Back   Ironworks Gaming Forum > Ironworks Gaming Classics > Icewind Dale | Heart of Winter | Icewind Dale II Forum
FAQ Calendar Arcade Today's Posts Search

Old 10-31-2001, 08:10 PM   #1
Hayashi
Silver Dragon

By far the toughest level so far in Dragon's Eye - I hate it when after speaking with an Undead Lieutenant you get swamped by cold wights, then a blast skeleton makes its appearance & when you kill *that* your front party members get hit by a snowball swarm. How devious of the programmers!!

To make it worse the cold wights can only be hit by magical weapons - for ranged attacks it has to be magical ammo (+1 arrows, bolts, etc) - and I don't have too many of that.

Any tips?
Hayashi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2001, 01:41 PM   #2
Lord Brass
Emerald Dragon

Depending on what level your party maybe (as well as composition) things like magic missile should "detonate" the blast skeletons before they come into range. If not, or you don't have enough spellcasters, try missile weapons. You may have found some 'Hammer Arrows' by now. I can't remember exactly, so they may be on the archers you meet there. They act like normal arrows except that they deliver crushing damage which skeletons cannot mitigate. That should set them off and keep you out of the blast zone.

Try anything that can deliver damage at a distance and watch the fireworks - or snowballs in this case. They really are killers, as several can strip a party in no short order.

As for the wights, you should have several magic weapons by now; if you can last, then let your front line take the brunt and deal with the blast skeletons as they come. Shift your emphasis when you need to.

------------------
Making running away an art form

[This message has been edited by Lord Brass (edited 11-01-2001).]
Lord Brass is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2001, 02:46 PM   #3
JR Jansen
Drizzt Do'Urden

Try turn undead with your cleric. If your cleric is high enough level it will destroy the blast skeletons without setting of the snowball thingy. If not they get turned and you can pick them off whenever and with whatever you want.

------------------
JR

Damned i lost cousin Jan's techno gloves

Forest runner and first gnomish demiranger-protector with slightly rougueish tendencies and a natural dislike for Aerie
JR Jansen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2001, 03:10 PM   #4
Red Dragon Slayer
Dungeon Master

I found it the easiest level by far! I only used 2 fighters and sometimes a backup bow and I killed those wights with no problems...on blast skeletons, shoot them and they'll explode before reaching you.

Red Dragon Slayer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2001, 05:25 PM   #5
shawnme
Elite Waterdeep Guard

If you dont have a full six cariters. you can inport a ranger take all the arows and give them to your other cariters.you can do this with all the other cariters tow.

------------------
shawn harden
shawnme is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2001, 06:48 PM   #6
Lord Brass
Emerald Dragon

'Turn undead' JR? Never thought of that. I usually end up smacking them, probably because I like to have all of my characters tactically flexible (with the exception of the bard once they reach 11th level).

------------------
Making running away an art form
Lord Brass is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2001, 06:48 PM   #7
Lord of Alcohol
Xanathar Thieves Guild

Throw some haste on your fighters and hit the blast skeltons with missile weapons, they bow up real good. Then switch to swords/axes and slice & dice the cold wights. Then eat them, they taste yummy if cooked right

[This message has been edited by Lord of Alcohol (edited 11-01-2001).]
Lord of Alcohol is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2001, 08:06 PM   #8
Hayashi
Silver Dragon

Thanks all, for your tips. I didn't have any magical ammo left for missile weapons, so here's what I did:

As soon as the dialogue with the Undead Lt is over, cast web just in front of him, knowing that it'll snag most of the cold wights I *know* are sure to appear immediately.

Follow-up with a fireball or two, then send in my fighters (equipped with ring of free action) into the fray whilst cleric turns undead and bard plays a song. They can't do anything else anyway except waste ammo on the cold wights to no effect.

When the blast skeleton makes its appearance, pull back fighters whilst rest of party attack with ranged weapons. Usually works.

The poison zombies were pretty easy, the imbued wights were nasty due to their magic missile attacks. My paladin bore the brunt but managed to survive. Once the MMs were expended though, the imbued wights were pretty easy.

On to Level 4!
Hayashi is offline   Reply With Quote